Author Topic: Up the Cut  (Read 7578 times)

roy one

• Global Moderator
Re: Up the Cut
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2017, 12:18:40 PM »
so have I fred up to the old dustbin yard on a Sunday to get bike parts off the scrap pile
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

frederick

« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2017, 12:32:30 PM »
It sort of looked like a wilderness when you where up there. I bet it as been built on by now,
Failure to Prepare is to Prepare to Fail

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2017, 01:10:01 PM »
It was our favourite place for a day out with our air guns, along there and at the back of the Beezer on the piece of land that was known to all the as The Ackers which then was just a wild piece of land.

Getting back to the topic at hand the last time I was on a canal barge was last year at the Black Country Living Museum when I took a trip in the Limestone Caverns that go under Dudley Hill.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2017, 09:33:09 PM »

steam power on the cut

countrylad

« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2017, 08:09:06 PM »
Although as kids in the early 60's we were always told not to go down the canal, we couldn't resist it even though we were threatened with a belting if we did.

We managed a few times to hitch a ride on a barge that took trips up the Kings Norton Canal and though Waste Hills Tunnel. I think the barge used to be moored near the canal bridge at the bottom of Parsons Hill. The barge was red with windows all along the side for sight seeing (when not in the tunnel). The owner also served beer on the barge.

As we hung around the mouth of the tunnel we often chatted to people on the boats as they waited for boats to pass that were coming in the other direction from Hopwood. As this barge owner was a regular, he got to know us and eventually, on occasions  allowed us on for a trip through the tunnel.

Above the entrance to the tunnel were two old Cottages built in the 1700's. Numbers 1 & 2 Tunnel Cottages, with the old stables for the horses still intact. Two children lived at Number 1 Tunnel Cottage, Tony and younger sister Janet. I cant remember their surnames though.       

Scipio

« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2017, 08:35:29 PM »

Although as kids in the early 60's we were always told not to go down the canal, we couldn't resist it even though we were threatened with a belting if we did.

We managed a few times to hitch a ride on a barge that took trips up the Kings Norton Canal and though Waste Hills Tunnel. I think the barge used to be moored near the canal bridge at the bottom of Parsons Hill. The barge was red with windows all along the side for sight seeing (when not in the tunnel). The owner also served beer on the barge.

As we hung around the mouth of the tunnel we often chatted to people on the boats as they waited for boats to pass that were coming in the other direction from Hopwood. As this barge owner was a regular, he got to know us and eventually, on occasions  allowed us on for a trip through the tunnel.

Above the entrance to the tunnel were two old Cottages built in the 1700's. Numbers 1 & 2 Tunnel Cottages, with the old stables for the horses still intact. Two children lived at Number 1 Tunnel Cottage, Tony and younger sister Janet. I cant remember their surnames though.     

Back in the late 70's the firm I worked for arranged "A Riverboat Shuffle " in the Black Country on a Friday night , beer was good , music was good all going well till one of my colleagues asked if I could make my way to the toilet !!!!! It was my wife who was heavily pregnant and huge in size could not manoeuvre in the toilet ,as in stuck . After what seemed like a hectic lifetime(about 15 mins) hse was out , we went back to our table , I don't think the rest of my drink touched the sides .
If voting made any difference , they wouldn't let us do it.
Mark Twain

countrylad

« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2017, 07:50:03 PM »
Scipio, happy memories of the 70's, I hope you have recounted the story to the unborn child who would now be around 40 I guess.

Were the 70's really that long ago????

Scipio

« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2017, 08:23:48 PM »

Scipio, happy memories of the 70's, I hope you have recounted the story to the unborn child who would now be around 40 I guess.

Were the 70's really that long ago? ???

Yes many times when we have a family get together, longer ago than I care to think about unfortunately .Good times
Mark Twain

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2017, 08:39:52 PM »

what part of Birmingham would you find this cut

Scipio

« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2017, 08:49:28 PM »

what part of Birmingham would you find this cut

Roy I have know idea , I have an affinity with only one canal Gas St Basin that I fell in when I was about 8/9 MR Smith who lived in one of the cottages on the towpath said after I was going down for the third time . He saved my life , he pulled me out with the help of a boat hook . Ended up in The General having my stomach pumped
Mark Twain

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2017, 09:44:29 PM »
well this cut will take you to gas street   your lucky most of the cuts in the 1960 was full of pollution if fact they was green  all the factory's along the cut used just dump there waste in to the cut     well this cut is by five ways broad street

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy