Author Topic: Up the Cut  (Read 7574 times)

Edmund Fifield

Re: Up the Cut
« Reply #33 on: August 13, 2017, 07:41:18 PM »
Phil did the 13a bus take you to the canal. Or was a it the 16a.Cant really get it into my head which way we got there in the late 40s.Always thought we went up the Alcester Rd on the No50 bus
Make every day a day to remember
Because this ain't no rehearsal
And you ain't coming back

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #34 on: August 13, 2017, 07:48:19 PM »

Phil did the 13a bus take you to the canal. Or was a it the 16a.Cant really get it into my head which way we got there in the late 40s.Always thought we went up the Alcester Rd on the No50 bus

the bus would pass the horseshoes there is a bus stop just past the pub and yeas it was the number 50 that went past the cut you could also have got if you was posh the 148 midland read bus
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

GardenGerald

« Reply #35 on: August 13, 2017, 07:50:24 PM »
Hello Edmund
You might be right.
At the start of Yardley Wood Road was a very nice park, as you walked up the road Billesley Common was on the right.
When you went over the brow of the hill and were walking downhill if you took a road on the left you would have gone
to local allotment site.
When you got to the bottom of the hill on he right was a narrow road that I believe took you to the Maypole. There was stream on the side of the road.
I might be wrong but I think this is the route you talk about.
Gerald.

Edmund Fifield

« Reply #36 on: August 13, 2017, 07:58:16 PM »
Your dead right Gerald how did you remember tha.Also played at Trittyford Mill Park and later in life football
Make every day a day to remember
Because this ain't no rehearsal
And you ain't coming back

countrylad

« Reply #37 on: August 13, 2017, 10:50:34 PM »
I knew this area quite well in the 70's. But can't think where you are? I know the mill on the way to Tritiford. However the canal was more up towards Solihull Lodge. I don't know if anyone recalls the Colebrook pub and Colebrook Road?

Coming from Shirley Stratford Road towards Colebrook pub island, turn left would take you towards the old flour mill (can anyone remember the flour dust coming across the road?) and the draw bridge. Straight on took you down Colebrook Rd, under the railway bridge and over the River Cole. At this point you had road, rail, canal and the River Cole with in a few yards of each other. Further up the hill towards The Maypole you would cross over the canal. [size=78%] [/size]

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #38 on: August 15, 2017, 05:35:49 PM »

did you know that there is 40 sets of locks between tamworth and birmingham

tamworth basin

townie

« Reply #39 on: August 15, 2017, 06:02:59 PM »
Roy I think you will find there are 35 locks between Fazeley and Gas Street Basin. If you count Glascote Basin that's another 2, i did the lot in 1 day.
Was it a vision, or a waking dream?

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #40 on: August 15, 2017, 07:03:02 PM »

Roy I think you will find there are 35 locks between Fazeley and Gas Street Basin. If you count Glascote Basin that's another 2, i did the lot in 1 day.

Locks44StatusNavigableNavigation authorityCanal & River TrustHistoryOriginal ownerBirmingham and Fazeley Canal CompanyPrincipal engineerJohn SmeatonDate of act1784Date completed1789Geography
Start pointFazeley Jn, Coventry CanalEnd pointOld Turn Jn, BCN Main LineConnects toBCN Main Line, Coventry Canal, Grand Union Canal, Tame Valley Canal

never mind perhaps they have got it wrong

on the phoenix clearing the junk  out of the cut round gas street  then up to the place we tipped the junk on the locks that we did took us about ten minuits per lock that's with two on the winless and one on the stick

mind you we was lucky we did not have to wait for traffic to clear the lock but if there was a narrow boat just going in to the lock it could take any thing up to 30 minuets to clear that lock depending how quick the other boat was

jamesm

« Reply #41 on: August 15, 2017, 07:19:17 PM »
Hello Edmund
You might be right.
At the start of Yardley Wood Road was a very nice park, as you walked up the road Billesley Common was on the right.
When you went over the brow of the hill and were walking downhill if you took a road on the left you would have gone
to local allotment site.
When you got to the bottom of the hill on he right was a narrow road that I believe took you to the Maypole. There was stream on the side of the road.
I might be wrong but I think this is the route you talk about.
Gerald.
Gerald, from my recollection the park on the left was Swanshurst Park with the boating lake. Continuing along the Yardley Wood Rd Billesley Common would be on you right hand side opposite Trittiford Rd. Continuing down the hill you would come to the junction with Haunch Lane (Prefabs and The Valley PH) which took you up to Kings Heath (No 18 bus). Carry on up the Yardley Wood Rd past the Golf Course (Brandwood ?) and you would come to the canal just before the bus garage on your right. Bus number 24 ran along this route and 13a followed same route but turned off down Trittiford rd.

townie

« Reply #42 on: August 15, 2017, 07:26:29 PM »
Roy if you look on Wikipedia they say 44 locks so perhaps we are all wrong. 
Was it a vision, or a waking dream?

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #43 on: August 15, 2017, 07:31:51 PM »
iv never done that trip but 44 locks would be a killer in one day think if it took ten minutes to clear a lock that's 44 times 10 minuets plus distance between locks at five miles m.p.h it would be a long day  now if your in a queue  of say three boats one in one out before its your turn that can take over an hour of just sitting about

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy