Author Topic: Up the Cut  (Read 7593 times)

roy one

• Global Moderator
Re: Up the Cut
« Reply #44 on: August 15, 2017, 07:49:56 PM »

and this is what can happen if you do not know what your doing and do not clear the step on some locks

each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

townie

« Reply #45 on: August 15, 2017, 08:01:41 PM »

iv never done that trip but 44 locks would be a killer in one day think if it took ten minutes to clear a lock that's 44 times 10 minuets plus distance between locks at five miles m.p.h it would be a long day  now if your in a queue  of say three boats one in one out before its your turn that can take over an hour of just sitting about

Roy have a look at reply 28.
Was it a vision, or a waking dream?

baz

« Reply #46 on: August 15, 2017, 08:33:54 PM »
I knew this area quite well in the 70's. But can't think where you are? I know the mill on the way to Tritiford. However the canal was more up towards Solihull Lodge. I don't know if anyone recalls the Colebrook pub and Colebrook Road?

Coming from Shirley Stratford Road towards Colebrook pub island, turn left would take you towards the old flour mill (can anyone remember the flour dust coming across the road?) and the draw bridge. Straight on took you down Colebrook Rd, under the railway bridge and over the River Cole. At this point you had road, rail, canal and the River Cole with in a few yards of each other. Further up the hill towards The Maypole you would cross over the canal. [size=78%] [/size]
I'm having trouble with this too.
Having grown up in the area I used go to the aqueduct with our gang and we loved tearing through the ford on our bikes (remembering to lift our feet up!).
As I got older we would walk over the fields from the Prince of Wales pub, across Berry Mound and the sandpits.
I'm just surprised that somebody would come all that way from town on the bus, then walk the length of Maypole Lane and Peterbrook road to get to the "Ackerdocks".

Scipio

« Reply #47 on: August 15, 2017, 08:39:58 PM »

and this is what can happen if you do not know what your doing and do not clear the step on some locks

I used to watch the canal from the 14th Floor of Cambridge Tower behind the Hall Of Memory / looking down on the locks from
Summer Row , nothing as serious as your pic though
If voting made any difference , they wouldn't let us do it.
Mark Twain

GardenGerald

« Reply #48 on: August 15, 2017, 08:56:56 PM »
Hello Jamesm
That was the name of the park. I am going from memory about 50 years ago. If you went up the road opposite the park you
came to the The Birmingham Bus Bowling green and a golf course. Am I right. I am not familiar with the road names.
Best wishes
Gerald.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy