Author Topic: Youth Associations  (Read 1626 times)

Scipio

Youth Associations
« on: August 05, 2017, 11:32:41 PM »

Was anybody in the scouts or any other organisation , I was in St Johns Ambulance Brigade at the HQ in Lionel St off Summer Row I quite enjoyed the freebies at the time . Towards the end of the evening duties were were read out and if you fancied it you volunteered,
duties revolved around football matches, ice rink , theatres , cinema . Needless to say I volunteered for the cinema more that the rest of them , more often than not it was at the Gaumont , the numbers by the side are the amount of times I saw the films , ahem I mean of course done duties at the venue , you were allowed a free drink also , mind you those hot dogs at the Gaumont looked mouthwatering .

Barabbas x 2
West Side Story x 2
The Longest Day x 1
Lawrence of Arabia x 7

John
If voting made any difference , they wouldn't let us do it.
Mark Twain

Edmund Fifield

Re: Youth Associations
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2017, 07:07:28 PM »
Scipio the only association I was in in my youth was the YHA between1955-58 used it quiet a lot when I did a lot of cycling all around England,Wales and Scotland, it was good to meet others doing the same thing,But the beds were hard
Make every day a day to remember
Because this ain't no rehearsal
And you ain't coming back

Ian Dalziel

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2017, 08:46:03 PM »
Maybe our paths crossed, Edmund, when I was cycle YHA touring at the same time.

Previous to that, you might have found me camping in Yorks Wood with the Castle Bromwich 237th scouts
Let's make the best out of a bad situation.

Scipio

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2017, 08:48:16 PM »

Scipio the only association I was in in my youth was the YHA between1955-58 used it quiet a lot when I did a lot of cycling all around England,Wales and Scotland, it was good to meet others doing the same thing,But the beds were hard

Edmund is the YHA still going , haven't heard that name for ages , I wonder if the beds are any softer ?

John
Mark Twain

frederick

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2017, 12:05:36 PM »
Did any of you go cycling with the "comic Eagle" cycling club we would stay in YHA accommodation.
Failure to Prepare is to Prepare to Fail

Edmund Fifield

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2017, 12:52:31 PM »
Scipio,don't think there are so many hostels around these days but when we were in Scotland a few years ago saw 2-3 around

Ian Dalziel

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2017, 04:21:12 PM »
Yes, you're right Edmund. Many have closed, especially the basic ones which were always the most fun for us youngsters because often the Warden was not on site so we did not have to switch the lights out at 10.30 pm. One everlasting memory is of my mate and I sitting round a log fire on a wet evening at the remote Nant-y-Dernol YHA (near Rhayader) in 1955 with a bunch of other youngsters we had only met that day. The discussion ranged from pop music to myxomatosis which was just starting to decimate the rabbit population. Our parents would be criticised today for letting their sons (13 and 14 years) cycle tour in Wales for a week on their own.

Many of the remaining hostels have been modernised and some even have family rooms. Also, it is no longer frowned upon when members arrive by car or coach.

Scipio

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2017, 06:12:47 PM »

Yes, you're right Edmund. Many have closed, especially the basic ones which were always the most fun for us youngsters because often the Warden was not on site so we did not have to switch the lights out at 10.30 pm. One everlasting memory is of my mate and I sitting round a log fire on a wet evening at the remote Nant-y-Dernol YHA (near Rhayader) in 1955 with a bunch of other youngsters we had only met that day. The discussion ranged from pop music to myxomatosis which was just starting to decimate the rabbit population. Our parents would be criticised today for letting their sons (13 and 14 years) cycle tour in Wales for a week on their own.

Ian do kids today know what a bike is or even where outside is ? Its a pity more kids don't get out on  their own , but what can you do when there are so many strange people out there nowadays , Truth beknown could they leave all their electronic technology behind to get out on a bike ?

Many of the remaining hostels have been modernised and some even have family rooms. Also, it is no longer frowned upon when members arrive by car or coach.
Mark Twain

Edmund Fifield

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2017, 07:09:59 PM »
When me and my mates went cycling in Scotland in1956 the farthest north we got was on the road from Inverness to Aberdeen,there's a village called FOCHABERS on the Dee river,it amazed us to see a man fishing  at 10-30at night and it was broad daylight this was in late June .It was good to ride a bike in those days accept in Glasgow when i came off after getting stuck in the tram lines :D .It was a nice hostel there

Ian Dalziel

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2017, 08:29:46 PM »
Scipio, I don't think there are any more dangerous people out there nowadays, it's just that we are more aware of them now.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy