Author Topic: The Gangsters  (Read 2833 times)

Scipio

The Gangsters
« on: August 09, 2017, 08:35:43 PM »
Do any of the members remember the BBC series of The Gangsters shot in and around Brum . My Mother RIP lived on the 14th Floor of Cambridge Tower behind the Hall of Memory. I always remember the tale that a particular episode being filmed in the car park by the side of Brindley Drive , kept her awake all night as the car screeched around chasing Mr Kline (Maurice Colbourne underneath the three floors above till they got the scene right . My brother in law RIP worked on that car park in the 60's and told me it was supposed to be temporary . I think it was still up in the 80's , it was three floors and a long u shape . Corner of Cambridge St/ Brindley Drive
If voting made any difference , they wouldn't let us do it.
Mark Twain

maltablue

Re: The Gangsters
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2017, 10:47:27 AM »

Scipio, remember it well. Been trying for years, to see if I can get the episodes. But to no avail. I think I have even beaten Google.!!

Born and Bred in Sparkbrook.

Spud

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2017, 10:53:50 AM »
Gangsters : The complete series is available on DVD from Amazon @ £59.99
The Only Free Cheese is in The Trap

maltablue

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2017, 10:56:22 AM »
Spud I meant free  ;) ;)

townie

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2017, 12:10:16 PM »
Maltablue. If you mean the BBC series from the 1970s you will find it on YouTube FREE.
Was it a vision, or a waking dream?

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2017, 01:32:08 PM »
Maltablue

All the Gangster television series starring Maurice Colbourne used to be on Youtube, but it's no longer on there. This is all you will find (well it's all I can find). Some good shots of Hockley, the City & Highgate Park.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QT-uKkAQ3EY.

I knew the Comedian Rolf Day quite well, he appeared several times notably in the Rum Runner scenes. He was a member of the same club as myself at the time and I remember him organising a Gentleman's only evening one night at the Grapes in town for members of our club, some market lads and selected members of the police force. He of course did his act, which was nothing like the one he did on the gangsters series or the one he used to do at our club. You can hear him in the opening scenes of this Youtube clip
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

maltablue

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2017, 09:34:05 AM »
Thanks, Phil & townie.
                                  Will have a look.

maltablue

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2017, 11:22:09 AM »
Had a look, lasted less than 10mins. But was worth it. Been on PB and others but nothing.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2017, 11:27:15 AM »
maltablue

As you say there is not much at all, there was a time when you could watch it all on Youtube all the episodes of the two or was it three series.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

maltablue

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2017, 01:59:02 PM »
Phil. Always the same, anything worthwhile is taken down. Just hope that Fools and Horses, is taken off Gold ( eventually ) and is replaced with Gangsters ( won't hold my breath ).

Scipio

« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2017, 08:27:18 PM »

Phil. Always the same, anything worthwhile is taken down. Just hope that Fools and Horses, is taken off Gold ( eventually ) and is replaced with Gangsters ( won't hold my breath ).

It was interesting at the time after the first episode had been shown, if memory serves me right it was shown on a Thursday night. Monday or Tuesday the following week ,the writer of the show was interviewed on "Pebblemill at One", and quite openly admitted that he had no idea how Kline was going to escape from the demolition site . He obviously sorted it and created a great series . Does anyone have any opinions on "Peaky Blinders"
If voting made any difference , they wouldn't let us do it.
Mark Twain

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy