Author Topic: Any tales of the Horse and Cart  (Read 7006 times)

Scipio

Any tales of the Horse and Cart
« on: August 10, 2017, 05:55:05 PM »

Living in William St ,off Broad St many many years ago , I always remember good old Arthur the milkman always smiling, I really do think this was a nervous affliction, as he smiled all the time even with his eyes closed at times while you were paying your milk bill . Don't be fooled though, after three or four streets had settled up with him back to the dairy, once he'd got on to Granville St down as far as "The Glassmakers Arms" turned left into Holliday St he was off  talk about Prince Judah Ben Hur , Prince Judah Ben Arthur had the reins,  boy was that a ride under the aquaduct (ockadock to us kids) further up the Circus Maximus(Holliday St) We jumped of as we neared Suffolk St . So as not to be spotted by any dairy supervisor. Believe it or not we couldn't  not wait till next weekend to see if he could better his time. Ted the Co-Op Baker though he was as straightlaced as they come no charioteering  with him  Has  any member got any memorable tales .
If voting made any difference , they wouldn't let us do it.
Mark Twain

GardenGerald

Re: Any tales of the Horse and Cart
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2017, 09:13:33 PM »
Hello Skipio
Everything was delivered by Horse and Cart. Milk, Bread, Coal, Rag and Bone Man. Railway Parcels, Knife Sharpener Man. Beer Delivery. Just a few but what great days and memories. The message to us kids was mind the Horses. Great manure for the garden as well.

The smell of chaff hay in the horse feed bag. The horse knew the rounds and if the driver had a couple to drink the horse would take
the driver home.
Buy a horse, cleaner fumes.
Gerald.

vamann

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2017, 09:11:11 AM »
Can certainly remember collecting the horse muck after the coop milkman had been, bagged it and kept for my Mothers rosés.

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2017, 09:32:58 AM »

the coalman us kids would take him a slice of bread for his horse

each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

countrylad

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2017, 09:55:02 AM »
The only thing I can remember is the Rag and Bone Man. As kids we would follow him all the way to the top of the street.

Seem to remember if you took something out for him you would get something in return, may have been colouring book or a balloon.

Mind you we didn't have much to give in those days we wore everything until it fell off us or was handed down.

Ian Dalziel

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2017, 12:38:59 PM »
Even though the Chester Road was busy with cars and lorries (no motorways then), my gran still used to tell us kids to "Keep out the 'oss road".
Let's make the best out of a bad situation.

Scipio

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2017, 04:51:44 PM »

The only thing I can remember is the Rag and Bone Man. As kids we would follow him all the way to the top of the street.

Seem to remember if you took something out for him you would get something in return, may have been colouring book or a balloon.

Mind you we didn't have much to give in those days we wore everything until it fell off us or was handed down.

I daren't mention rag and bone men in front of my mother(RIP) , when we lived in Springfield St before we moved to William St . I was about 4/5 I took something out to the ragman and he gave me a packet of Durex , was that the sort of inflatable you were talking about
Mark Twain

frederick

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2017, 05:18:36 PM »
I must have been very young at the time our milk was delivered by a horse drawn cart. Us kids would run under the horses belly the didn't know we were doing it.
Failure to Prepare is to Prepare to Fail

Scipio

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2017, 08:52:03 PM »

I must have been very young at the time our milk was delivered by a horse drawn cart. Us kids would run under the horses belly the didn't know we were doing it.

Late 50's our bread and milk were delivered by horse and chariot Frederick
Mark Twain

Akatarawa

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2017, 06:25:16 AM »
Remember the coalmen used to wear leather jerkins ?  Carrying 1 cwt sacks of coal on their backs, they must have been tough.

When we moved to Oldbury around 1946,  there used to a rag and bone man, a local Black Country identity who went by the name of Banjo Cannon, he had also been a boxer of local renown before the war.

He used to raid the council pig bins, pull up his horse with a whoa, jump off, grab the bin and empty on to his cart and then gallop off at high speed.  I'm damn sure he didn't have a contract with the council.

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2017, 08:02:34 AM »

some times they would come round with day old chicks

each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy