Author Topic: Any tales of the Horse and Cart  (Read 7007 times)

frederick

Re: Any tales of the Horse and Cart
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2017, 11:41:35 AM »
And don't forget the horse muck for the veg and roses.
Failure to Prepare is to Prepare to Fail

Scipio

« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2017, 05:25:51 PM »

My good lady had to nip out with a shovel and bucket when she was a nipper , her dad would spot the horse delivering his present on the road in Winson Green where they lived issue the order and out would nip my mrs
If voting made any difference , they wouldn't let us do it.
Mark Twain

countrylad

« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2017, 06:54:03 PM »
Particularly the spuds, they like a bit of heat from the manure O0

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2017, 07:53:37 PM »
No cart just a very clever horse visiting the M & B stables at Cape Hill in 1954. Do you know it's name?
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Scipio

« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2017, 08:29:42 PM »

No cart just a very clever horse visiting the M & B stables at Cape Hill in 1954. Do you know it's name?

Champion I bet
Mark Twain

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2017, 08:55:33 PM »
Scipio

No it was 15 years earlier when Gene Autry visited Birmingham and I'm not sure if Champion was with him then. No this is Trigger who appeared at the Hippodrome in 1954 (I was there) with his wife Dale Evans and of course Trigger.

This is photo of Trigger climbing the back stairs of The Queens Hotel where Roy & Dale stopped whilst in Birmingham (perhaps trigger didn't like the stables).
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Scipio

« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2017, 09:08:10 PM »

Scipio

No it was 15 years earlier when Gene Autry visited Birmingham and I'm not sure if Champion was with him then. No this is Trigger who appeared at the Hippodrome in 1954 (I was there) with his wife Dale Evans and of course Trigger.

This is photo of Trigger climbing the back stairs of The Queens Hotel where Roy & Dale stopped whilst in Birmingham (perhaps trigger didn't like the stables).

I hope it was the 1st floor they were on , think of the commotion if Trigger got up in the night
Mark Twain

Bronson

« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2017, 05:18:47 PM »
I lived in Albion Road in Greet, every day I used to feed the milk man's horse  a  couple of slices of toast. The horse used to stand on the pavement with his head through the front door. One day my mother called me to say the milkman was here, two pieces of toast in hand I legged it to the door where mom and the Milkie were standing there  pointing out  a brand new electric milk float, boy was I disappointed. Round the corner was a chimney sweep he used a horse and cart.

frederick

« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2017, 08:41:40 PM »
Our food bill as gone down. Collecting the g daughter from school on the back home we would give a horse and it's fold apple and carrots. The horse would run to us when it could see us.     :)    She is on holiday now and when she returns to school she will be going to the senior school and won't be passing the field with the horses in.     :(
Failure to Prepare is to Prepare to Fail

Scipio

« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2017, 08:47:23 PM »

Our food bill as gone down. Collecting the g daughter from school on the back home we would give a horse and it's fold apple and carrots. The horse would run to us when it could see us.     :)    She is on holiday now and when she returns to school she will be going to the senior school and won't be passing the field with the horses in.     :(

I was always a bit wary of feeding horse when I was a kid , their teeth were always bigger than mine , then there was the mouth . I can honestly say no horse was ever overweight because of my overfeeding,  Sorry .
Mark Twain

wideload

« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2017, 04:06:19 PM »
hello scipio,

I  lived in holliday street from 1944 to 1956 so I probably met that milkman too as well as the midland counties milkie and the Hawlies breadman. If you remember just next to the ockerdock [ we called it under the gullet] was the council yard where the council horse and carts were stabled and the dust men emptied their carts onto the canal barges at the back. I believe that Trigger, Roy Rogers horse was stabled there for a time whilst they were appearing in Brum. The work men unhitched the horses and led them down a slope into a dip which was about three feet deep it, smelt like disenfectant  then they took the horses to their stables,Us kids used to follow them around the depot and no one chased us out I don't think it would be allowed today with 'ealf and safety ruling most things.
 Happy days

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy