Author Topic: Any tales of the Horse and Cart  (Read 7008 times)

JudithM

Re: Any tales of the Horse and Cart
« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2017, 01:40:24 PM »
I'm too young to remember horse & cart deliveries, but my one granddad used to work with the milk horses when he was a lad.  He used to tell me about how every so often the horses would get a week off & they'd take them out to the country and let them out in the fields.  I guess they were all stabled in the city most of the time and he said they'd all run and gambol around like foals & roll in the grass as soon as they were set free.

He also taught me how to braid the way they did the horse manes & tails, and how to braid and clean leather.

I had my own horse in my teens & his tips came in very handy.  He missed the horses, so I'd ride over to visit him every now & then.
"I know tomorrow's gonna taste like cake"

townie

« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2017, 08:48:24 AM »
The only horse and cart I can remember was the rag and bone man coming up the street with his horse and cart. It all depended on how many rags you took out, if it was a few, you got a balloon or two, if you took loads out you got a goldfish if I remember correctly. I have seen some photos of the old rag and bone men but cant remember where they kept the fish, was they hanging in bags on a stick? 
Was it a vision, or a waking dream?

Scipio

« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2017, 07:42:49 PM »

hello scipio,

I  lived in holliday street from 1944 to 1956 so I probably met that milkman too as well as the midland counties milkie and the Hawlies breadman. If you remember just next to the ockerdock [ we called it under the gullet] was the council yard where the council horse and carts were stabled and the dust men emptied their carts onto the canal barges at the back. I believe that Trigger, Roy Rogers horse was stabled there for a time whilst they were appearing in Brum. The work men unhitched the horses and led them down a slope into a dip which was about three feet deep it, smelt like disenfectant  then they took the horses to their stables,Us kids used to follow them around the depot and no one chased us out I don't think it would be allowed today with 'ealf and safety ruling most things.
 Happy days

Welcome Wideload Apologies for the delay in replying due to lack of technology this end , yes I do remember the council yards , I also remember that bad winter in the 60's . The roads were cleared of snow by piling it to the side of the road and council wagons would come and load it up and dump it in Gas St basin
If voting made any difference , they wouldn't let us do it.
Mark Twain

ironside

« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2017, 02:50:22 PM »
Just having a look at this thread; what I remember as a kid was the bread and milkman's horses being dressed up with red and white ribbon on May Day. The milk carts were emptied at the dairy one side of town and the empty horse and carts were taken across town to the stables. The milkman would be standing up pulling on the reins while the horse would be at full gallop heading for the town centre cross rounds with a policeman on point duty. I always thought they were showing off, I later learned that the horses wanted to get back to the stables and short of tying them up nothing would stop them. The policeman would normally stop the traffic to allow the horse through. The old milkmen would tell me the horse tales. One was on his way back to the dairy when a woman waved to him he stopped and got off, the horse shot off to the dairy and cut the corner off where a boy was swinging round a lamppost, he lost his arm. They didn't like people feeding their horses, if a horse got a regular apple he would wait even if the woman was out, it was a bit of a game to get the horse moving again.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy