Author Topic: Please help me - car accidentally sold with plate on  (Read 1829 times)

Abigail

Please help me - car accidentally sold with plate on
« on: August 14, 2017, 04:03:51 PM »
CALLING ALL PEOPLE IN BIRMINGHAM OR WITH CONNECTIONS IN BIRMINGHAM[/color][/size]
I am trying to track down the man that recently bought an old gold (listed as silver) coloured VW polo, 1980s model, registered Nov 1984, from Startright car parts in Hockley, Essex. Unfortunately my uncle sold this car around 4 months ago, but had no right to do so, as the reg plate on the car (CML 1H) has great sentimental value to my Father and was promised to him by the Owner. This plate belonged to my Grandfather, the beloved and sadly missed Father of my Father. This plate was the only remaining part of him and as such my father is very upset. If anyone knows anyone who has the plate, or bought the car please can they get in touch. I'll buy the reg plate back if necessary. Seeing how upset my father was today makes me want to do anything to get this back. As you can imagine to him it feels like he's lost the last bit of his father.
If anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated. The car was sold to someone in Birmingham about 4 months ago and they came to Hockley to get it. Please help me fix this xx reg plate is CML 1H[/color][/size]

Spud

Re: Please help me - car accidentally sold with plate on
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2017, 04:16:51 PM »
You should contact the DVLA for details of Vehicle ownership
The Only Free Cheese is in The Trap

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2017, 04:22:47 PM »
Hi Abigail

A sad story and I hope that you can bring it to a successful conclusion. I would say that the car was purchased for the number plate and the car itself is most likely gone now and the plate has been transferred to another car. I don't know what the situation about tracing the numbers new owner via the DVLA as I know they divulge addresses for a number of reasons now, but I don't think yours is one of them, but it's worth a try.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

countrylad

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2017, 06:55:18 PM »
Hi Abigail,

As Phil says it may have been transfered to another vehicle. But on the other hand it may have been bought to sell on and could still be for sale on one of the cherished number plate sites. Just google cherished plates, you can search for the number. I do hope you find it and you get it back at a reasonable price. Memories and tokens are very precious
Countrylad

pickard.r

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2017, 10:48:09 PM »
Hi Abigail
The Government vehicle check website confirms the car has a SORN notice and no current MOT. No other details available.
You can lead a horse to water but, a pencil must be lead.

Potomac

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2017, 09:02:48 PM »
Hello Abigail.
In your initial post you state that you uncle sold this vehicle but had no right to do so.
If this is a fact and could be proven in court then maybe you should seek legal advice.  Of course it maybe simply a family wrangle and not be something that a court could adjudicate on.
Either way I hope you achieve your quest.
best wishes,  Alan

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy