Author Topic: Your Best Subject at School  (Read 7188 times)

Edmund Fifield

Re: Your Best Subject at School
« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2017, 07:48:10 PM »
Townie,having nothing to do at the moment I've just gone through some of the old threads and saw one you asked what was my trade,After leaving school in 54 I did an apprentice ship as a Motor Mechanic,in66 I got fed up with the dirt and grease and started at Johnny Wrights gas cookers as an assembler,in 69 started at Fishers,C Bromwich spot welding,left because of all the strikes in 79,started Lorry driving,business foldedin 82 got a job as aPostman in central Brum on parcels,in 84 we bought a Hotel inMargate in Kent had that for 5 years sold it because of cheap holidays in Spain, got myself a job making amusement machines  after 4 years left got a job making Lift Cars, going up to London and fitting them in the Lift Shafts in office blocks, The  started my own gardening business in1995,the rest is history.Hope you like the little story of my life,as I have had no particular trade.Keep well edmund.
Make every day a day to remember
Because this ain't no rehearsal
And you ain't coming back

Patriot

« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2017, 08:34:41 PM »
I'm late into this thread but here goes.............

I loved and was good at History,Geography and English (Lit.Spelling and Comprehension)
I struggled with Maths but managed to end up in the top 12. Science and Woodwork-mediocre.

I absolutely hated all ball games and Art. My Art teacher once said to me 'You have absolutely no idea of perspective or colour'. At least he got something right.  O0
He never knew me and my mate Charlie used to hotwire his Model Y Ford and drive it round the staff car park during lunchbreaks!  ::)

I left school on a Friday and started work on the following Monday. Stayed there 15 months and then joined the Merchant Navy for 8 years.  8)
Don't be afraid to stand for what you believe in, even if that means standing alone.

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2017, 10:06:14 PM »

art  is a door way to your mind and its all so in the eye of the beholder whats good for some is not good for all my world is full of colour and I can see what I think is natures colour pallet  I love macro photography  you can see the true nature of things have a close up look at a butterfly's  wings see the scales 

each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

Patriot

« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2017, 10:31:52 PM »
art  is a door way to your mind and its all so in the eye of the beholder whats good for some is not good for all my world is full of colour and I can see what I think is natures colour pallet  I love macro photography  you can see the true nature of things have a close up look at a butterfly's  wings see the scales 

All very true Roy. Lovely photos BTW.

I cannot draw freehand for toffee (I can draw matchstick men  :-\ )
I'd always got my head stuck in books and magazines,even now I'm an avid reader but if I am asked my opinion on Art or ball games I haven't a clue.
Don't be afraid to stand for what you believe in, even if that means standing alone.

Spud

« Reply #26 on: December 13, 2017, 11:51:37 AM »
I was also interested in Campanology  ;D ;D

Ring the other one it has bells on it
The Only Free Cheese is in The Trap

astoness

« Reply #27 on: December 13, 2017, 07:10:20 PM »
history was favourite and best subject...i stayed on a year to take shorthand and typing and was hoping history was an option...was totally peed off when i found out it was not and what was even worse was geography was...hated it >:(

lyn

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: December 13, 2017, 07:49:33 PM »

I cannot draw freehand for toffee (I can draw matchstick men  :-\ )
I'd always got my head stuck in books and magazines,even now I'm an avid reader but if I am asked my opinion on Art or ball games I haven't a clue.

the greatest artist in the world is mother nature

each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

Edmund Fifield

« Reply #29 on: December 13, 2017, 11:19:36 PM »
Never had art at Lea village school, did different subjects ,best was the pig club and gardening,I was 1/2 mile champion ofSaltley Schools. Loved Metalwork and Woodwork.

astoness

« Reply #30 on: December 14, 2017, 07:26:55 AM »
yes its a shame but back then unlike nowadays we could not choose our own subjects to take for gcse exams...was a long time ago but apart from shorthand and typing from memory the set subjects were..english...maths.science.geography and re...

lyn

Malcolmc

« Reply #31 on: August 13, 2018, 01:52:06 PM »
My best subject was skiving

Edmund Fifield

« Reply #32 on: August 13, 2018, 03:15:49 PM »
Did you get an A+ for that ::) ::)