Author Topic: Blundell Road Greet  (Read 11060 times)

linwaisee

Blundell Road Greet
« on: August 22, 2017, 06:22:24 PM »
Can anyone remember Blundell Road Greet Birmingham.  My grandparents lived at No. 8 for about 49 years. They were Thomas Lyndon and Florence Jane Lyndon. Their only son Desmond Thomas Lyndon and my mother Hilda Lyndon lived at No. 12 for about 17 or 18 years until 1958. They had 3 sons, John, me and Kenneth

Bronson

Re: Blundell Road Greet
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2017, 10:43:21 PM »
Hi, Blundell road was one of the roads on my paper round. I was born in Albion Road in Greet and attended Greet Primary school leaving there in  1960.  One of my friends , Tony Hall lived in Blundell Road. Good days..

countrylad

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2017, 11:04:56 PM »
Hello this is a tenuous link but my grandparents lived in the prefabs in Greet from late 40's to about 65. My grandfather built the air raid shelters in your area. I had a response about my grandparents from someone who attended Greet school ? Late 50's. What may be an idea is to post something under ' Brum prefabs' thread. He may pick it up and could have some information that may help. Good luck, countrylad

linwaisee

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2017, 05:34:30 AM »
country lad  I remember the prefabs very well. we used to sneak into the burberry brickworks quarry behind them to play and be chased away by the night watchman. I went to Greet Primary school between 1948 and 1954. There were still a few air raid shelters around in the area when I was a boy. people used them as garden sheds

linwaisee

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2017, 05:40:08 AM »
bronson  Tony Hall was my younger brother's best friend they were almost inseparable. Tony had a younger brother and an older sister, June. She was about 7 to 10 years older than Tony He lived at either 13 or 11 Blundell Road more or less opposite our house

linwaisee

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2017, 09:13:47 AM »
Percy Road  resident. Do you remember the pawn shop on the corner of Blundell Road and Percy Road? I didn't know it was a pawn shop until after it closed to be replaced by a builders diy shop and although I saw women going in and out with bundles of clothing, I thought it was a laundry. The Mrs. Bailey's grocery shop on the opposite corner where things went on mom's bill until the end of the week. How about Christine and Victor Payne, Henry and Margaret Brown, Horace Hunt, Margarer Tomkins at her dad's shop, Max Griffiths at his dad's motorbike repair and accessories shop and John Davies or Davis in the back to back houses just past Bridge Street? Remember any of them?

linwaisee

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2017, 09:16:17 AM »
Percy Road  resident. Do you remember the pawn shop on the corner of Blundell Road and Percy Road? I didn't know it was a pawn shop until after it closed to be replaced by a builders diy shop and although I saw women going in and out with bundles of clothing, I thought it was a laundry. The Mrs. Bailey's grocery shop on the opposite corner where things went on mom's bill until the end of the week. How about Christine and Victor Payne, Henry and Margaret Brown, Horace Hunt, Margarer Tomkins at her dad's shop, Max Griffiths at his dad's motorbike repair and accessories shop and John Davies or Davis in the back to back houses just past Bridge Street? Remember any of them?

Bronson

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2017, 10:53:30 AM »
Hi, the DIY shop was called STANLEYS. He kept a record of the sizes of all our windows, every school holiday at least a window was put through , so all mom had to do was quote which window was broken and glass was then cut.. happy days.

Spud

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2017, 12:12:05 PM »
I was at Greet School and in he same class as Max Griffiths. We were in a woodwork class once well I say woodwork it was Fretwork really using those old Hobbies Fretwork saws. The class was held in one of the corridors and the the Dinner Table doubled as benches. Max was busy sawing away at a piece of plywood without realising his tie was was under the plywood. You can guess what happened he sawed his tie in half.
I seem to remember Tomkins shop in Percy Road the Son went to Greet he would be a little younger than me. The name Lyndon also rings a bell and I am pretty sure  that John Boulter lived in Blundell Road.
The lads from Blundell Road formed a football team this would be around 1958/9 I nearly played for them but went on to play for Springfield Utd.
Other names from the 40s and 50s The Whatleys The Rooks , Frank Cope, Roy Greer, Charlie Danvers, Janet Lawton. Billy Wakeman.

The Only Free Cheese is in The Trap

Bronson

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2017, 12:20:44 PM »
The only person  I knew with the name Lyndon was Ivor Lyndon who lived a few doors from us immediately Albion Road.  I knew a Raymond Tomkinson whether he is related to the family you knew.

countrylad

« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2017, 07:59:47 PM »
country lad  I remember the prefabs very well. we used to sneak into the burberry brickworks quarry behind them to play and be chased away by the night watchman. I went to Greet Primary school between 1948 and 1954. There were still a few air raid shelters around in the area when I was a boy. people used them as garden sheds
Hello linwaisee, you would probably know my Nans prefab, it was the end of the row at the entrance to Burberry Brick. They had a disabled son, he was often out in the garden or hanging over the gate shouting to folks as they passed. You might have had a few apples, pears or plums from my Nans garden as the garden was very productive. Do you remember a pet shop in St Johns Rd, they had an Ant eater in the window. I was fainted by this strang looking animal.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy