Author Topic: Blundell Road Greet  (Read 962 times)

linwaisee

Re: Blundell Road Greet
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2017, 05:32:40 AM »
yes, I remember your nan's garden. I only knew two houses where people grew fruit in their gardens. Your nan's and an old lady who kept a sweet shop in Warwick road between Percy road and St. John's road. her name was either Mrs. Harrison or Mrs. Betteridge, they both had sweet shops quite close to each other where we we buy 2oz of sweets or if we were flushed, a whole 4oz. I have to confess, though that we scrumped your nan's fruit. it was delicious Greet was not an area where people grew their own fruit. the only edible things they might have grown were vegetables. there was a Mr. Nevitt who lived next door but one to us that fed a chicken all year for his Christmas dinner. he couldn't kill it so he asked my uncle to do it. after his wife cooked it, they couldn't eat it because they said it was like eating one of the family so my uncle and his family ate it

Spud

« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2017, 08:53:38 AM »
Countrylad
Could I be as bold to ask you your Nan's surname as I had a few friends that lived in the Prefabs on Warwick Road
The Best Is Yet To Come

countrylad

« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2017, 01:48:39 PM »
yes, I remember your nan's garden. I only knew two houses where people grew fruit in their gardens. Your nan's and an old lady who kept a sweet shop in Warwick road between Percy road and St. John's road. her name was either Mrs. Harrison or Mrs. Betteridge, they both had sweet shops quite close to each other where we we buy 2oz of sweets or if we were flushed, a whole 4oz. I have to confess, though that we scrumped your nan's fruit. it was delicious Greet was not an area where people grew their own fruit. the only edible things they might have grown were vegetables. there was a Mr. Nevitt who lived next door but one to us that fed a chicken all year for his Christmas dinner. he couldn't kill it so he asked my uncle to do it. after his wife cooked it, they couldn't eat it because they said it was like eating one of the family so my uncle and his family ate it
Hi linwaisee, its always good when I get a response from those that remember them in the prefab or the garden. Back in the day Nan would have cursed you for scrumping, but would not have mined you having the fruit, she was a kind old soul. She would have a wry smile on her face if she knew we were corresponding about her garden. Both Nan and Granddad were keen on the garden, Granddad tended to look after the vegetables/Fruit and Nan the flowers.  I still have his old spade, Bow Saw and his Odams Press gardening book. A lot of the fruit would have been wrapped in newspaper,  stored in the chest of drawers in her bedroom. As a Kid, if I walked in her bedroom there was always a smell of mothballs and fruit

Nans Niece had a sweet and grocery shop up towards Tysley. As you walked up the Warwick Road from the prefabs, you would pass some shops on your right, she was further up the hill. Little shop in the terrace, steps leading up to the door, they had a sitting room behind the shop. Not sure what the shop was called but her name was Joyce Hancock, I think she may have been a Banks before she married or her mother would have had the maiden name of Banks.   

countrylad

« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2017, 02:11:05 PM »
Countrylad
Could I be as bold to ask you your Nan's surname as I had a few friends that lived in the Prefabs on Warwick Road

Hi Spud, Nan and Granddad were George and Emma Moxley, Nan was a Banks from I think the Reddings Lane area. I only found out recently that Nan had a previous marriage also, but not sure of her surname in that marriage. There were four children in all, the eldest would have been Beaty, I believe she would have been from Nan's first marriage. I think Beaty married a Laurence ( known as Lol) Pegge who was a boxer in the 30's. Beaty died when she was about 30 years old. Then came Ray Moxley, Joyce Moxley and Douglas Moxley, 'Dougie'  had a mental and physical disability, he died at the age of 32 in about 1965.

The other story about the family is that one of my nan's sisters was killed in an air raid, they may have been around Reddings Lane. The story my mom told me was that they were in the Anderson shelter one night, a bomb exploded nearby and shrapnel came through the door, hit her in the temple and killed her instantly. 

linwaisee

« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2017, 02:35:31 PM »
A big bomb dropped in the back gardens of Blundell Road, probably behind Tony Hall's house. The Royal Engineer Bomb Disposal.squad was called. The whole road was evacuated because if it had explode they said, all the High Explosives (shells for warships) at Wilder's firework factory (which was commandeered to munitions work) would gave gone up in sympathetic detonation. As the dug around the bomb to get at the detonator, the bomb sank further in the soft clay (remember we were close to burberry brickworks quarry). Eventually they removed the detonator and made the bomb safe. It was eventually dragged down the entry between the houses on rollers. The residents.of every  house in the road had a whip round fro the sappers (soldiers)

Spud

« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2017, 05:33:52 PM »
Countrylad
No the names do not ring a bell. The reason I ask was I played football with a lad from the Prefabs he died from Leukemia he was only about 18.
As for being Bombed out. I have related this story a few times on this Forum. My Mother was pregnant with me almost at the full term when she and my Dad were in an Anderson Shelter in Percy Road in November 1940 when a Land Mine struck fortunately we all survived.
The Best Is Yet To Come

countrylad

« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2017, 08:21:03 PM »
Spud, this is a long shot as I am sure many land mines were dropped. Ray Moxley my uncle was out at night during the bombing in Greet as well as my Granddad putting out fires etc. Ray recounted a story or two from the bombing. He said he saw a land mine coming down, nearby there was an elderly man standing on his doorstep, the land mine took both his legs off, the elderly man survived apparently. Not sure if this story had been passed down to you.

Spud

« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2017, 11:43:44 AM »
HI Countrylad.
I am of course telling the story second as when it all happened I was not even born and pretty well everyone old enough to remember the incident has passed on.
The Land Mine scored a direct hit on the Anderson Shelter in the back garden of 252 Percy Road. It was said that the blast spread outwards and as such Mum and Dad escaped any injury. I know that the same night a gas main was hit in Sparkhill making it difficult for the ambulance to get through. Mum was taken to Sparkhill Swimming baths which was a sort of a casualty station. She was expected to give birth but  I was a bit of a stubborn 'B' [most say that I still am] anyway I hung on in there for another 2 weeks as was actually born somewhere in Handsworth. I have never heard of any other casualties and all of this took place early November 1940 just around the time The BSA was Bombed,my Dad worked there at the time.
The Best Is Yet To Come

countrylad

« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2017, 08:10:46 PM »
Spud, I think many of us are lucky to be here when you think of the carnage that happened. I seem to remember Ray telling me that the land mines detonated 3 or 4 feet above he ground, as you say the blast went outwards.

Kathy

« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2017, 11:27:14 PM »

Kathy

« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2017, 11:33:52 PM »
Hi my Mother Violet Taylor was born at 2 Blundell Rd in 1920 she was one of 7 children, in 1941 She married Dennis Jenkins and in 1946 she returned to 2 Blundell rd with my sister Christine I was born in the front room 2 Blundell rd in 1951.
Alice Cannon a widow lived at 4 & Mrs Rundell with a big aspidistra in her window [email protected] I thought that the Pugh's Valerie and Diane. Lived at 8. The Butlers who had a second hand shop next to the post office on the Warwick road were at 1 @3 were the vales no children his brother lived at either 11 our 13 but they never spoke we only found out they were brothers when one died.all the kids in the road were that bit older than me my friends are Christine Lawton Albion Road and Carol Smith medley road