Author Topic: Blundell Road Greet  (Read 11058 times)

linwaisee

Re: Blundell Road Greet
« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2017, 07:10:00 AM »
Dear Kathy
you're absolutely right. Violet and Dennis Jenkins lived at No. 2, Blundell Road, Alice Cannon at No. 4, Mr. & Mrs Rundell lived at No. 6. Dennis Jenkins firstly had a motorbike and sidecar and then a very early model car, possibly an Austin 7. He was always tinkering with them in the street. In a later car, he drove me and my family to and from Rhyl one year for our holidays. I used to take their wet cell batteries in glass containers to a shop in Warwick Road called Holts for re charging every week. Then my grandparents lived at No. 8, Ernie, Ethel, Valerie and Diane Pugh at No. 10 my family at No. 12, Mrs. Monk at 14, Jessie Nevitt and her husband at 16, Jim.and Nellie Fell at 18, Mabel Preen at 20 I cannot remember names of people at 22 and 24.
[size=78%]at 18. Kenny Butler at 1, the Vales at 3, Howard Ketley at 5, a widow I think at 7, cab't remember 9, The Halls at 11, The other Vale at 13 , Wakeman's at 15, Birch's at 17, Mrs Hope at 19, The Adam's at 21 and a guy who was a physical therapist at 23. Do you remember any of them?[/size]

linwaisee

« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2017, 07:24:43 AM »
Hi Kathy
The wet cell batteries belonged to the Cannon's and the Rundell's. They were heavy to carry, especially by elderly people and Mr. Rundell had had both legs amputated adding to his difficulty. Holt's charged 6d each battery to re charge and both the Cannon's and the Rundell's used to give me a small amount of pocket money for running any errands they needed. I can also remember my younger brother, Ken, frightening your mother one year when she went into her front room without putting on the lights and Ken lifted a pumkin with a candle inside to the window. It was his halloween mask. Violet got over the shock and laughed about when she told my gran

linwaisee

« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2017, 08:01:23 AM »
Kathy
I've been wracking my brain trying to think what they called those wet cell batteries. They were called accumulators

Kathy

« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2017, 08:55:48 AM »
Hi linwaisee
 after I posted I remembered the Pugh's lived further up the road with Peter the cat and I remember at number 8 playing with a boy younger than me who had a Hornby clockwork railway set oh did I love that railway set.As you reeled the names  off I had been racking my brain as the ladies name for whom I looked after her dog Jesse she had no children as her only child died in infancy a   little boy  she told me his little arm was blue with injections her dog was called Topsy and she paid me 1s6d a day and I walked that dog everywhere Swanshurst park and Mum  fed her this would be 1959/60

linwaisee

« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2017, 09:12:05 AM »
Dear Kathy
My grandmother moved into No. 8 about 1910 and my father was born there in February 1918 and lived there until he married my mother in 1938 (October 29). He moved into No. 12 sometime between 1940 and 1943. My parents were living in Lea Road when my elder brother, John was born and I was born in 1943 in No. 12 Blundell Road.My father's name was Desmond Lyndon (Des or Les  to his friends). As you were born in 1923, you say, the boy at No. 8 would have been my father but he was 5 years older than you not younger. He was an only child and spoiled by his mother. It is quite likely that he would have a hornby train set. He had just about everything he wanted. The widow over the road I couldn't remember was Mrs. Easom 

Kathy

« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2017, 09:53:57 AM »
Hi linwaisee 
I was born in 1951 my sister Christine in 1946 she was friends with.Mavis further up the road think her surname probably Adams.I remember Stan's shop it was the front  rooms of 3terrace houses the sand being kept in the 3rd house front garden.i remember when the rates were split from water rates and separate bills were sent now Stan had no water supply or toilet (his neighbours were very good)so Stan didn't pay out came an official  who said Stan  had to pay to take away the  rain from his guttering the  3 metal balls were still attached to the wall my mum died in Jan 2002 and although she  spent her last three months in residential. Care her funeral was from her house she was the longest resident we sold the s house in 2005 Mum was survived by her brother David Taylor he died aged 96  in Swindon a survivorof a Japanese POW survived

linwaisee

« Reply #28 on: August 28, 2017, 10:29:05 AM »
Kathy
I think it was Maureen Adams. Her eldest brother was Trevor, born about 1938/9, then Keith born about 1942/3 and then Maureen. Their father was Harry Adams.
The shop was called Stanmores.

Kathy

« Reply #29 on: August 28, 2017, 03:17:18 PM »
Alice Cannon had one large tooth she was blind and had  a heart of gold she liked to give us food which my mum promptly threw away as she told us when a bar of soap fell off the mantelpiece into the porridge she was stirring for her husband.The landlord of the property Tregellas (offices pershore rd stirchley) wanted to add a bathroom to the house but Alice thought if she moved out she would never have her home back, so in November a tarpaulin was hung at the back living doorway to the scullery my Dad called in every morning to set the coal fire in the front room and then called each evening. One night Dad found Alice on her black horsehair settee unconscious she was taken to hospital it was said she woke up realised where she was and gave up and passed away. Landlord got what he wanted a property he could sell with no sitting tenant.
I think Mrs Rundell had already moved to family her property was spotless I remember the table in the front room with a chenille table cloth with a white linen cloth on top.i was fascinated by her outside loo it was a wooden bench type (looked like oak) think it was known as an earth closet. Both number 2 & 4 were sold to a housing association.
Our house being at the bottom of the road and 6 houses sharing the water supply the new young families with washing machines we had no water pressure and also sharing the sewerage poor mum had to pay several times to have the drains unblocked as her neighbour flushed everything down the toilet including nappies

linwaisee

« Reply #30 on: August 28, 2017, 03:34:34 PM »
my family had one of those wooden bench toilet seats and one night during the war my gran came from No. 8 came to our house and while there used our toilet. of course it was black out and when she cane back in our house she told my mum that a cat had got into our outside loo and as it sat beside my gran she was stroking it. mother and gran went out with a torch to shoo it out and found it was a huge rat. They ran back into the house. my father built the first bathroom in the road after the war. tregellis was the landlord that my father bought the house off. he paid £350 for it but my grandfather bought his earlier and only paid £175. those prices would buy very little today

Spud

« Reply #31 on: August 28, 2017, 04:36:38 PM »
I remember Valerie Pugh she would now be around 77 years old if it is the same girl. We were in the same class at Greet if I remember correctly she went on to Conway Road School.
The Only Free Cheese is in The Trap

Kathy

« Reply #32 on: August 28, 2017, 08:30:21 PM »
Hi Spud, in truth I don't remember either Diane or Valerie from Blundell Rd just that Peter the cat lived with the Pughs. Years later in the mid seventies I was buying cakes in Druckers Sparkhill and Diane was the Manager and recognised me asking after my Mum telling me that both she and Valerie lived in Hall Green. Because we very much love cakes I saw a lot of Diane at the shop until she retired.
In my defence I think it's because of our ages. I seem to remember being on my own a lot.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy