Author Topic: Blundell Road Greet  (Read 11056 times)

linwaisee

Re: Blundell Road Greet
« Reply #44 on: April 14, 2020, 07:35:13 AM »
NUU50
You are talking about my great uncle Dick. His son was called Francis. They lived in either Studland Road or Lulworth Road.
Uncle Dick worked as a driver of Corporation buses and later became an Inspector. He had a Ford Popular from the 1940's and paid £100 for it brand new. When my gran took us to visit, while the adults continued boring adult talk and drunk gallons of tea, we escaped into the garage and "drove" that car.
I have a family photo group of my parents wedding in 1938 and Uncle Dick, Aunt Milly, Francis, both sets of my grandparents, some aunts I recognise and lots of people I don't.
The photo was taken 5 years before I was born and some of those people didn't survive WW2. There are 21 people in the photograph, I can identify 10 of them.
Billy Monk was an on course bookmaker and after his death during the war his wife, Maggie, was an agent for an illegal bookmaker in Lea Road.
Small world.

NUU50

« Reply #45 on: April 14, 2020, 02:06:07 PM »
Linwaisee - thanks again for the reply, I'll send a further message via private message facility.

NUU50

« Reply #46 on: April 17, 2020, 04:07:37 PM »
Very small photograph from a family album, no clue as to who any of the children are other than they might have lived in Blundell Rd ( one lad may 'possibly' be my late uncle) - written on the rear of the photo in pencil in my grandmother's handwriting is: Taken outside E Francis, Blundell Road, Greet

Best guess is the photo is just pre-war.....1938 (?) but other than that, a mystery!

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #47 on: April 17, 2020, 07:06:35 PM »
Very small photograph from a family album, no clue as to who any of the children are other than they might have lived in Blundell Rd ( one lad may 'possibly' be my late uncle) - written on the rear of the photo in pencil in my grandmother's handwriting is: Taken outside E Francis, Blundell Road, Greet

Best guess is the photo is just pre-war.....1938 (?) but other than that, a mystery!

each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

linwaisee

« Reply #48 on: April 18, 2020, 09:09:50 AM »
Hi Neil

The photo was taken before I was born and before my mother moved into Blundell Road. My gran had lived there since about 1910.
There was a Francis who lived in the road but I think it was the maiden name of one of the women who later married. Her name was Ethel Francis.

linwaisee

« Reply #49 on: April 18, 2020, 09:39:08 AM »
I have a nagging feeling Ethel Francis married George Birch. The only other Ethel was Ethel Pugh at number 10 (next door to us) who was married to Ernie Pugh

NUU50

« Reply #50 on: April 21, 2020, 09:13:19 PM »
Your memory is spot on  O0  according to the 1939 Register, Ethel Francis (aged 29) was living at number 17 Blundell Road with Charles H Francis (aged 63) who presumably was her father, the register also has her eventual later married name of BIRCH recorded.

linwaisee

« Reply #51 on: April 22, 2020, 09:28:41 AM »
Hi Neil

As I said, I can remember many of the residents of Blundell Road, after all it was over 60 years ago that I lived there.

Many of them were my customers. I did their shopping, took their accumulators to be charged (returning with one already charged) got into their houses when they had left their keys inside. I was so thin I could enter through the smallest of windows (kitchen). Worst entry was for Mrs Pugh, down the coal chute into the hardly used cellar which was pitch black and I had to walk through a curtain of cobwebs from ceiling to floor. Each little task was usually rewarded with 6d.

Regards
Vic

Bonnie66

« Reply #52 on: November 30, 2020, 02:46:30 PM »
Hi

Hoping this gets to Kathy, who is my aunt. We lost touch after my mom Christine died and her address book disappeared with her contacts. Been trying to find her since.

My memories of my grandad Dennis were always of a smartly dressed man in a suit with a pristine car we weren't allowed to get messy. My nan Violet used to give us money to go around the shops everytime we visited and watched snooker. The house at number 2 had the smallest kitchen I have ever seen, and the front room was kept for 'best.

Bonnie

DebN

« Reply #53 on: April 29, 2023, 12:14:21 PM »
My Nan and great Gran lived at number 20, someone mentioned her earlier Mabel preen and her daughter, Margaret (Madge), Broadhurst (who had the knitting shop on the Warwick Road)  and her daughter, Hazel Broadhurst. I stayed there in my school holidays from around 1969 to 1979/80 when Mabel Preen passed away at 93!! I knew Ethel Pugh and a wonderful lady who lived in Percy Road called Lottie Bannister ❣️Wonderful days - I found this thread due to showing my kids the house as we still have a few trinkets from the front posh sitting room, and I was trying to see if I could find anywhere that showed how the houses had been modernised - we now live in South Africa and I’m very thankful to Google Earth 🥰

Wardtru

« Reply #54 on: June 14, 2023, 10:02:16 PM »
I think the little girl at the front of the photo was my mum, June Hall- born 1935 and lived at 13 Blundell road. She doesn’t appear on the 1939 register, so I’m wondering if she was evacuated.
As a little girl I can remember visiting my Nan at Blundell road, and vivid memories of Jessie and Albert from across the road.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy