Author Topic: Camden Street and Ellen Street, Brookfields  (Read 1285 times)

Brook Fields

Camden Street and Ellen Street, Brookfields
« on: August 25, 2017, 02:50:40 AM »
Is there anyone out there who lived on Camden Street or Ellen Street in the 1950s or 1960s?

And for others living anywhere that was redeveloped in the 1960s, what was the process? Was there any consultation, or did you just get a letter saying your house was expropriated, start packing?

pamelarose

Re: Camden Street and Ellen Street, Brookfields
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2017, 09:26:12 PM »

Hi I did not live in Camden Street but I went to Camden Street Girls School in 1963 until 1968, my maiden name was Pamela Clegg I had 2 other sisters who went also Maragret and Ann. We lived in Ingleby Street at the top end behind the White Swan Pub.  We lived there from roughly 1960 until 1965.  I had 1 other sister and 2 brothers then, Jacqueline, Paul and John.  Our Dad's name was Jack Clegg and Mom's was Elsie Clegg.  Would love to hear from anyone who remembers any of us.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2017, 10:57:31 PM »
Is there anyone out there who lived on Camden Street or Ellen Street in the 1950s or 1960s?

And for others living anywhere that was redeveloped in the 1960s, what was the process? Was there any consultation, or did you just get a letter saying your house was expropriated, start packing?

Hi Brookfields,

When we were moved out and our houses were demolished due to redevelopment I wasn't of an age that I took much notice. Though I believe the process was pretty standard, you of course knew quite some before it happened signalled by the demolition gangs getting closer. Your date for quitting the property was given quite some time in advance and if you owned the property it was usually compulsory purchased a couple of  years before the demolition date, that way the council got back most of what they paid you in rent. 
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Brook Fields

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2017, 02:18:55 AM »
Thanks Pam and Phil for replies.
Pam, so how many were in your house on Ingleby? Were you in a back-to-back? What sort of house were you in?
Any stories you can share, would love to hear them.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy