Author Topic: History Of Boxing in Birmingham  (Read 476 times)

tad2106

Re: History Of Boxing in Birmingham
« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2017, 05:31:37 PM »
Thank you. My dad Anthony (Tony) Starling was born in Birmingham 1938 and lived Ashley Street then Ilmington Road. His both his parents came from Birmingham so always interested in the history.

Phil

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2017, 05:39:52 PM »
Hi Phil, fantastic photo's, this is my sixth post, not sure where to find the messaging, can you please advise.

Hi Ann

Just caught this about the messaging system, just click on my messages near the top of the page and follow the instructions.
Make Love Not War

jamesm

« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2017, 09:58:26 PM »
Looking at this thread reminds me of a friend and colleague who, in his youth, was very handy with his fists and at senior school was classed as "the [censored] of the walk".
By his own admission he was persuaded to attend an amateur boxing club which, I think, was either at the BSA or Wilmot Breedon.
After assessing his weight, physical stature etc it was decided he was a heavyweight and a suitable sparring partner was chosen for him.
He got in the ring and his opponent knocked the proverbial 7 bells out of him. It turned out the guy he was fighting was the then unknown Johnny Prescott. My friend never got in a boxing ring again.
However he told me on another occasion he witnessed the same Johnny Prescott, who at the time was a contender for the British Heavyweight title, knocked out during an altercation at the Rum Runner club.
How true all this is I can't verify but it all goes to make a good tale.

frederick

« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2017, 09:04:44 AM »
Johnny Prescott used see him around in my younger days usually at dances he had a cracking girl friend.
Failure to Prepare is to Prepare to Fail