Author Topic: History Of Boxing in Birmingham  (Read 11674 times)

Ann Small Heath Boxing

History Of Boxing in Birmingham
« on: August 30, 2017, 01:12:24 PM »
Hi, this is my first time in this forum.
I'm representing Small Heath boxing club also known as Pat Benson Boxing Academy. We have just recently received funding from the Heritage Lottery to research the history of boxing in Birmingham. We have Birmingham Museum and Art Gallery as our heritage partner and will be holding an exhibition in August 2018. I am on the search for photographs and items that could be included to this exhibition. Any boxer must have achieved a boxing accolade such as a championship and of course be rooted in Birmingham also old photo's of pubs and factories that had boxing attached to them.

The project
The history of boxing in Birmingham can be formally traced back to the early 1900's.  By exploring the characters and establishments across Birmingham that have played a pivotal role in the development of boxing in the city, we will uncover a rich history and heritage of communities and individuals.  These individuals like Alf Greenfield, Bunny Johnson, Johnny Prescott and others have helped shape and nurture the sport from the 1800’s.
The project will explore the development of boxing in Birmingham from an activity that took place in inner city pubs e.g. Hobsmoor, Railway Club, Custard House and The Garrison and factories e.g. Lucas, Austin Rover Worsley, Morris Commercial. 
We will also look at the involvement of schools such as: St. Michael's, Bishop Challoner and St. Mary's in developing and championing the sport during the 20th century and in particular the strength of the "Schoolboy Championships" in carrying and attracting new interest and participation in boxing.

Phil

• Account Closed
Re: History Of Boxing in Birmingham
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2017, 02:55:28 PM »
Hi Ann

Welcome to the forum, it looks like you have set yourself an admirable task, please accept my best wishes in your efforts. I have no interest in boxing ever since I received a bloody nose in the ring at about 10 years of age at Kyrle Hall over Gosta Green way many years ago and I never boxed again even though the instructor said I showed promise.

Though I am sure there are posters on here that will be of great help to you with your project. I'm sure you know of The Spotted dog that was owned by Bunny Johnson at one time, didn't the Eagle & Tun have a ring in the 80's?
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

davesd1

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2017, 04:56:40 PM »

Hi Ann,

My Dad represented Morris commercial during the forties.I still have a trophy for a tournament he won in September 1941.The letters on it are C.B.A.F.A.B.C.
Will try and find any photo's.

Dave

GardenGerald

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2017, 05:07:50 PM »
Hello Everyone
About 40 years ago they had boxing in the Digbeth Institute.
Wish you well
Gerald.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2017, 05:35:25 PM »
Ann

Here are a couple of images, the first one is The Cauliflower Ear a.k.a. Eagle & Tun I understand they had a boxing ring there for a time in the 80's hence the name change.

The second image is one of Bunny Johnsons pub The Spotted Dog, I'm told that once it had lots of boxing memorabilia on display.

Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2017, 05:47:22 PM »
Ann

A couple more images for you the first one being of a two Birmingham brothers of I have no doubt you will have heard of Brian & Alan Cartwright.

The second image is of a sweet shop on the High Street in Bordesley. I don't know how true it is but I was told it was owned by one time British featherweight and then bantamweight champion Joe Fox. Being born in Leeds as I understand he was I can't see what his connection with Birmingham was that would cause him to settle here.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

townie

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2017, 05:58:33 PM »

Hi Ann. There was a boxing ring in the Crown, Station Street.

Was it a vision, or a waking dream?

Ann Small Heath Boxing

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2017, 10:39:07 AM »
Hi, thank you so much for all the photo's, I know Frank O'Sullivan from Birmingham City who is still coaching today ran a boxing club from the Cauliflower Ear.

Ann Small Heath Boxing

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2017, 10:54:30 AM »
Hi Dave I'm really interested in the cup you have. If you could please let me know his name, I have a boxing historian who is helping me with the research. If you could please contact me at Pat Benson Boxing Academy, that would be great.

Ann Small Heath Boxing

« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2017, 11:00:26 AM »
Hi Phil, found out about Brian Cartwright (Birmingham) was a professional boxer who was active between 1960 and 1969. [/font][/size]He boxed at flyweight; bantamweight; featherweight; lightweight and took part in 84 professional contests, not sure if he won any championships[/font][/size]

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2017, 11:11:02 AM »
Hi Ann

Sorry I can't be of any further help on this, because as I have told you I know nothing about boxing. I am just an avid collector of images & photos of anything to do with Birmingham. Though I am glad that the images may be of some use to you, did you know anything about Joe Fox's shop on Bordesley High Street?
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy