Author Topic: Any Tales About The West End(Dance Hall & Cinema)  (Read 3184 times)

Scipio

Any Tales About The West End(Dance Hall & Cinema)
« on: September 16, 2017, 07:37:48 PM »

Have any of our members got any memories of the good old place above ? I loved this dance hall for a good couple of years in the 60's
being a mod in those days , it was always full of beautiful young women . Earlier on I used to pass  a cinema  poster advertising Spartacus  on the bus, it was on for what they used to term a season which related to 3 months . Couldn't believe my luck when I got to see it . My aspirations did not let me down
If voting made any difference , they wouldn't let us do it.
Mark Twain

roy one

• Global Moderator
Re: Any Tales About The West End(Dance Hall & Cinema)
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2017, 08:45:46 PM »
the westend cinema was the first place I took my girlfriend now my wife it was our first date the best seats cost 2/6 that is 12.5p into days money I'm not sure of the film we seen but I think it might have been a cliff Richard film young ones or summer holiday but it was in the 1960s   
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2017, 08:59:53 PM »
Scipio

If you were a mod, then you would have used the Whisky a Go Go as well as The West end.  So you probably knew Bob Summers who used both places and has posted to the forum a few times.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2017, 09:45:39 PM »

hi scipio
                  I could only find a black and white photo of the westend  so iv added a tad of colour to try and make it look like how it used to be

Scipio

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2017, 10:14:31 PM »

Scipio

If you were a mod, then you would have used the Whisky a Go Go as well as The West end.  So you probably knew Bob Summers who used both places and has posted to the forum a few times.

Phil quite right I did go to The Whisky, on the club membership card though it was called The Marquee Club . I think it was probably a
a choice of the kids that called it The Whisky. It was above Chetwyns the mens clothiers on the corner of Navigation St and John Bright St . Chetwyns later became Drumland a music shop, the club was on the third floor of that building . Cream appeared there
that was before they had roadies , I still remember the three of them unloading their gear out of a Bedford van . Phil that name rings a bell Bob Summers , some other notable names from those days , Duffy, Chimpy Harris, Bugsie , Little Freddie, Leo , Big Colin ,
good old days . Watch the strides (trousers) Phil
Mark Twain

jamesm

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2017, 07:54:09 AM »
Sunday afternoons spent in Stratford upon Avon, a scooter ride in convoy back to Brum and then on to the West End with it's really springy dance floor to round the night off O0 Spent a few Saturday nights at the Whiskey as well.
Also remember going to see Spartacus at the cinema as part of a history lesson one wet afternoon. One of our teachers organised a small group trip to see it on the grounds it would be educational. I think it was just an excuse to see it using school funds as it had nothing to do with what we were studying which was the Napoleonic wars.

Scipio

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2017, 10:12:32 AM »

hi scipio
                  I could only find a black and white photo of the westend  so iv added a tad of colour to try and make it look like how it used to be

Roy that brought the memories flooding back, thanks
Mark Twain

Scipio

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2017, 10:20:24 AM »

Sunday afternoons spent in Stratford upon Avon, a scooter ride in convoy back to Brum and then on to the West End with it's really springy dance floor to round the night off O0 Spent a few Saturday nights at the Whiskey as well.
Also remember going to see Spartacus at the cinema as part of a history lesson one wet afternoon. One of our teachers organised a small group trip to see it on the grounds it would be educational. I think it was just an excuse to see it using school funds as it had nothing to do with what we were studying which was the Napoleonic wars.

JamesM  When the West End did you ever visit what was supposed to have been it's replacement The Birmingham Suite, replacement
my foot what a place overpriced drinks it was totally alien to what we had experienced . Monday nights it used to be Locarno night,
Wednesday nights Le Metro club Livery St . Good old days never the like if which won't be seen again , mores the pity
Mark Twain

jamesm

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2017, 11:00:25 AM »
Scipio, Can't recall going there but no doubt I did. Le Metro I remember and of course the Locarno with it's revolving stage. Another place I remember going to was called The Rainbow Suite. It was above the Co-Op in High Street. You're so right, a wonderful time to be young and fancy free.
p.s. did you used to catch the night service buses in Colmore Row after a night out in the Town?

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2017, 11:02:33 AM »
iv never been much of a clubber my self I did go in one or two now and then so I never went to the westend clubs  but the one club that I did like was the heart beat next to the silver blades ice ring and that was only because  we used to go ice skating

frederick

« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2017, 05:14:01 PM »
What got me going to the Weasten. I was attending the Mathew Bolton tech opposite and thought I will take my girl friend there and a couple of the lads in my class said we will bring our girl friends there and the one time I did see them there with their girls. The first time we went I remember to this day Loo Loos record was being played. Not long after that we took up ballroom dancing.     O0
Failure to Prepare is to Prepare to Fail

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy