Author Topic: Any Tales About The West End(Dance Hall & Cinema)  (Read 3185 times)

Scipio

Re: Any Tales About The West End(Dance Hall & Cinema)
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2017, 08:33:42 PM »

Scipio, Can't recall going there but no doubt I did. Le Metro I remember and of course the Locarno with it's revolving stage. Another place I remember going to was called The Rainbow Suite. It was above the Co-Op in High Street. You're so right, a wonderful time to be young and fancy free.
p.s. did you used to catch the night service buses in Colmore Row after a night out in the Town?

No I used to walk from Colmore Row after filling my face at that mobile café outside Snow Hill station. I used to live off Broad St and later behind the Hall of Memory late 60's . So a nice walk home used to sort me out, plus the fact you'd never know who you might me
If voting made any difference , they wouldn't let us do it.
Mark Twain

Scipio

« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2017, 10:25:01 PM »

What got me going to the Weasten. I was attending the Mathew Bolton tech opposite and thought I will take my girl friend there and a couple of the lads in my class said we will bring our girl friends there and the one time I did see them there with their girls. The first time we went I remember to this day Loo Loos record was being played. Not long after that we took up ballroom dancing.     O0

Would that have been Peggy Dixon's Dance School then Frederick ? Hope iy wasn't Lulu that drove you to ballroom
Mark Twain

Edmund Fifield

« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2017, 11:32:38 PM »
Used to help out a co when I was laid of at Fishers ,we used to fit security doors on property's ,we had to put security  door for the PO,above us were we worked was a dance studio it drove us daft it played all day It never rains in Southern California
Make every day a day to remember
Because this ain't no rehearsal
And you ain't coming back

frederick

« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2017, 10:34:46 AM »
Scipio,
That word should have said Westend.    :-\

We started going to the tower ballroom and enjoyed it. So we went to the Becker and Botridge dance school in town for ballroom dancing lessons, and off we went every night of the week dancing.     O0   And we would find a dance hall where we went on holiday.
Failure to Prepare is to Prepare to Fail

Scipio

« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2017, 03:19:02 PM »

Scipio,
That word should have said Westend.    :-\

We started going to the tower ballroom and enjoyed it. So we went to the Becker and Botridge dance school in town for ballroom dancing lessons, and off we went every night of the week dancing.     O0   And we would find a dance hall where we went on holiday.

So you're a bit of a hoofer then Frederick
Mark Twain

Clematis

« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2017, 02:20:35 PM »
Best dance floor ever.  I remember they used to play jazz on a Sunday night and you would get lots of students in.

Clematis

« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2017, 02:22:27 PM »
West End

Scipio

« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2017, 06:08:54 PM »

West End

Welcome Clematis, that pic brings back memories , hope you had many a good night there like I did
Mark Twain

Spud

« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2017, 02:10:38 PM »
Funny how some of the posts trigger off memories. Even as I load this it brings back memories of the first time I went to the West End Cinema it must have been around 1946 when an Aunt took me to see Stage Door Canteen. It was most certainly the first time I had been to 'The Pictures In the Town'
Some years later probably around 1956/7  I took my girl friend [now my wife of 56 years] to the Premier of The Ten Commandments with Charlton Heston at the West End I remember the seats were 12/6d each . My girl friend Father thought that I had gone mad.
The Only Free Cheese is in The Trap

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2017, 02:33:27 PM »
Did you know that Susan Maughan (Bobby's Girl) was the resident singer at the West End until c1962 when she had her first hit record.

Phil died in 2020. RIP.

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2017, 03:14:16 PM »

Did you know that Susan Maughan (Bobby's Girl) was the resident singer at the West End until c1962 when she had her first hit record.

and susan with a tad of colour

each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy