Author Topic: Looking for lost relative  (Read 2353 times)

yarrum999

Looking for lost relative
« on: September 20, 2017, 05:14:49 AM »
Hello from Australia everyone,

I've had some good responses on your site in the past. Today I have something a little different.

Hope I'm on the right spot, if not I apologise.

My grandfather and grandmother were Thomas Walter and Alice Reason. They lived in Court Street, Birmingham.
My grandfather Thomas was sent to prison, 3 months hard labor, and never heard of again. During this time the children were orphaned to Middlemore.

My mum was sent to Australia, her sister to Canada.
I'm repeating myself a bit here.

The new quest is finding any relatives of a child born to my grandmother illegitimately after all these events.
His name was Alton Mc Bride ( MacBride) and he lived back then at No. 2 back of 87 Cox st. West Balsall Heath Birmingham.

Anyone who had any info at all, it would be greatly appreciated.
Regards
RICHARD MURRAY

Abt

Re: Looking for lost relative
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2017, 10:01:58 AM »
Are you sure that it was Thomas Walter Reason.
There was only one Thomas walter on record born in the timescale that would make him able to marry Alice Croydon in 1913 and he was born in London and died as an infant. However there is a Thomas Wilkes Reason b Tysoe in  1884 and he is linked to Croydon name on genealogy records.When Thomas married Alice Croydon he was only Thomas no second name and he may have died  in Coventry in 1972 born June 3rd 1884.You would have to buy certificates to verify the facts.
Alice son Alton was born Alton Reason mother Croydon in 1929 he died in 1967 record says Alton McBride age 37 born about 1930.
Alton McBride married Mavis J Grant in 1962 and their son Jeffrey N McBride  mother Grant was born in 1964.
As this is getting into  the realms of living persons any further  info should be given by Private message.
Hope this helps.

yarrum999

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2017, 05:50:28 AM »
Hello Abt,

Thank you for all your information. My grandfathers name was definitely Thomas Walter Reason. He was born around 1888, and from what I have gathered he died In Warwickshire around 1975.
My friends tried to get certificates for me when they were in London,but their are none due to some kind of fire I believe.
I got the informations I have from the heritage website, and I also have a copy of his WW1 service record.
He and Alice Croydon/ Reason lived in Court st.

Alice had Alton, just be fore my mother and aunt were fransported to Australia and Canada respectively.
Records show the father of Alton was going to pay for Altons welfare.

I'm wondering why she would have given the child the name of Reason.

I believe he was Mc Bride, and was adopted out.

I will contact my cousin in Canada with this information.

Many thanks

Abt

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2017, 11:42:01 AM »
As I said in my previous post the only Thomas Reason that I could find to fit the criteria was the one I suggested.
The only way to verify the facts you have been given is to get certificates.
War records which are kept in London are incomplete because of a Fire.
 All Birth,marriage and death certificates are available from either the place of the event or General register office which is in Southport Lancashire.
If you visit the Birmingham council website at
Birmingham.gov.uk you will be able to order The 1913 marriage certificate which will give you more information about Thomas Reason.,age,occupation, fathers name and address at the time of marriage.

If Alice was not married to Mr McBride she would have to give her married  name and her maiden name when registering Alton.

HugoHughes

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2018, 02:39:24 PM »
Hello from North Wales.

I have a photograph of a young man that I am unable to identify.   I believe from the uncanny resemblance that he was my late Uncle Gwyn Hughes who died on the 10th November 1944 in Holland during WW 2 and  is buried there.

He was born in Deganwy in 1921 and each November a Poppy is placed on the door of the house where he was born.    A person from the Deganwy History Group has compiled stories and photos of each person who died in WW 2 and appears on the Roll of Honour in the local Church and if this photo is of my Uncle Gwyn then I would have it added to the ones that they already have for others.

My parents died 30 years ago so I have no one to ask or an address to write to although I know that my parents when they were alive were in contact with Gwyn's son Graham.

All I can tell you is that Gwyn  (Elias Gwynedd Hughes was his full name)  married Joyce Marion Clarke in 1942 in the Solihull Registration District.
Their son Graham Hughes was born in 1943 and sadly Gwyn died in 1944 aged 23
At the time of Gwyn's death they lived in Shirley but I remember my parents saying that they later moved to Yardley.     I believe from a 1945 article in the Birmingham Post that Gwyn had brother in laws called John and Jack Woodcock.

I'm afraid that that is all I know about Gwyn's family and I was just hoping that someone on the forum  may be able to help and that I can add the photo to the Roll of Honour in Deganwy

lmr3103

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2018, 09:46:57 PM »
Hi Yarrum99,

Just wondering if you have managed to discover all the information there is on Ancestry about your Thomas Reason, born in Hopwood, Worcester. Lots of miltary records that show a lot of detail about his family. Also details of more children and where and who Alton Mcbride was living with.

HugoHughes

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2018, 04:23:36 PM »
After a long search I was able to ascertain that the photo I had was not of my late Uncle Gwyn who died in World War 2 in 1944.
However today I have been given a photo of him by a cousin of mine and it is the first time that I have ever seen a photo of him and it was quite moving.
The photo can now be added to the Roll of Honour that is in All Saints Church in Deganwy where Gwyn was born and lived for most of his short lifetime.
Thank you very much for giving me the chance to post my original request and best wishes to everyone on the forum

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy