Author Topic: BIRMINGHAM TO HOST THE 2022 COMMONWEALTH GAMES  (Read 21602 times)

Patriot

Re: BIRMINGHAM TO HOST THE 2022 COMMONWEALTH GAMES
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2017, 07:54:41 PM »
Quick question-from someone who hasn't been to Birmingham City Centre for 20 years;
Why can't the Commonwealth Games be held in or near the NEC? Ample parking and plenty of space.

Like a lot of other people I'm not interested in Field and Track events and my own personal view is that the CG and the Olympics are monuments to diseased egos.
Only one OG ever made  a profit and that was the Olympic Games in Los Angeles simply because President Reagan said (rightly in my view) 'You can have the Games in any city, just don't expect Federal money to pay for them'. Like anything else in this world if you haven't got the money, either go without or save up.
Don't be afraid to stand for what you believe in, even if that means standing alone.

Coastal

« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2017, 08:05:39 PM »
Personally, I don't care where they hold it, as long as it's nowhere near me  O0
More traffic, More people, More disruption, Birmingham is welcome to it,
Do unto others before they do unto you.

astoness

« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2017, 08:44:51 PM »
apparently birmingham was the only city to put in a bid so no wonder we were chosen...maybe all the rest heeded the advise of president reagan..hope alexander stadium is not chosen as a venue..apart from the massive traffic disruption travelling from the city centre to one stop perry barr is not a pretty sight..

lyn

Scipio

« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2017, 08:49:58 PM »

Quick question-from someone who hasn't been to Birmingham City Centre for 20 years;
Why can't the Commonwealth Games be held in or near the NEC? Ample parking and plenty of space.

Like a lot of other people I'm not interested in Field and Track events and my own personal view is that the CG and the Olympics are monuments to diseased egos.
Only one OG ever made  a profit and that was the Olympic Games in Los Angeles simply because President Reagan said (rightly in my view) 'You can have the Games in any city, just don't expect Federal money to pay for them'. Like anything else in this world if you haven't got the money, either go without or save up.

Patriot wherever its held , its going to cost a packet , kerching kerching for someone . I say that knowing full well Birmingham City
Council have not been exactly flush for some time  . Seems strange we got it , after Canada withdrawing and South Africa being stripped of the application .Birmingham missed out some years ago for being the Cultural city, but can I just finish on a sour note ? Will the rubbish have been cleared from the streets before they start
If voting made any difference , they wouldn't let us do it.
Mark Twain

astoness

« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2017, 08:54:35 PM »
hi scipio as said in my last post i think we only got it because  i believe birmingham was the only city to put in a bid..as for the bin strike..we cant even afford that

lyn

Scipio

« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2017, 09:02:00 PM »

hi scipio as said in my last post i think we only got it because  i believe birmingham was the only city to put in a bid..as for the bin strike..we cant even afford that

lyn

Hear Hear Lyn , you nailed it in one , pity Birmingham council are not on this site

John
Mark Twain

astoness

« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2017, 09:14:46 PM »
john i was going to say dont be surprised if bcc are looking in but then i thought....no of course they wont be for they have no interest in the history of birmingham...just obliterating it...i have said this many times over the years..i am and always will remain proud to be a brummie..i do not however have to like what birmingham has become.. :( :(

lyn

astoness

« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2017, 09:15:15 PM »
john i was going to say dont be surprised if bcc are looking in but then i thought....no of course they wont be for they have no interest in the history of birmingham...just obliterating it...i have said this many times over the years..i am and always will remain proud to be a brummie..i do not however have to like what birmingham has become.. :( :(

lyn

can a moderator delete this post please..its a repeat of my last post... :o

Scipio

« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2017, 09:23:04 PM »

lyn

Lyn back in the 60's you couldn't keep me out of the city centre , I have to be three parts  [censored]** to go there nowadays
Mark Twain

Coastal

« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2017, 09:26:17 PM »
Will the rubbish have been cleared from the streets before they start
I hope you weren't referring to the residents  ;D
Do unto others before they do unto you.

astoness

« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2017, 09:36:56 PM »
same here john..only go when i really have to

lyn