Author Topic: BIRMINGHAM TO HOST THE 2022 COMMONWEALTH GAMES  (Read 21703 times)

Scipio

Re: BIRMINGHAM TO HOST THE 2022 COMMONWEALTH GAMES
« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2017, 10:22:35 PM »

I hope you weren't referring to the residents  ;D

No no Coastal , I find it very claustrophobic nowadays as big as it is
If voting made any difference , they wouldn't let us do it.
Mark Twain

countrylad

« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2017, 10:44:40 PM »
As a Brummie I have a lot of respect for Brum. So Brum put in a bid for the games and 'won' the bid..... Be careful what you wish for!

Although I have no interest in sport I think it's great when these events take place. I was fortunate to be in London when London was awarded the 2012 olympics. I think they had about 5 years to prepare. I was working in health care and emergency planning and response. The amount of work up to the games increased the workload of individuals in my sector many fold, with out any extra resources.

Mainly planning the what if scenario. Terrorist attack down to an overseas dignitary falling ill at the games. The spin doctors talk about the legacy of the games, I call it the Aftermath. Debt up our eye balls, half the road space taken up by games traffic with road area sectioned off, and a fine for anyone who dares to go over the white line.

Then there is the renewed ( transient ) interest in sport, new cycle lanes spring up over night like mushrooms in the September morning dew. Security is another area. In the run up to the games, businesses will lose staff, because folks want to volunteer for stewarding, security, etc. You feel you can't refuse as the games are high profile and what if your staff went to the press - 'my manager will not allow me time off to be an ambassador for Brum' The positive side is 'I was there' it was my experience. You will be there, your experience. I saw the stadia, velodrome and the multi million pound improvements to Stratford station much of which is now under utilised.

Birmingham, make the most of this for your great city - be careful...... There are many people in your city that could benefit directly if the cash spent on the games was redirected to them and would make a big difference.

Coastal

« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2017, 10:51:42 PM »
I know what you mean, as I've stated before I was at one time based in the City Centre as a bus inspector, and very rarely went out of the town, I spent nearly every working day mainly in New St, Corporation St, Colmore Row, and the Digbeth area, the crowds and the traffic didn't bother me at all, then I was based in an office for 11 years and only went to town on very rare occasions, I took early retirement just over 2 years ago and moved to Wales, I couldn't face the city centre now and doubt I will ever return again, I visit the Lodge Hill Cemetery a couple of times a year and that's as close as I get.
Plus I don't like sport, so there's no way I would go wherever it's held.     
Do unto others before they do unto you.

Scipio

« Reply #25 on: October 01, 2017, 10:57:05 PM »

I know what you mean, as I've stated before I was at one time based in the City Centre as a bus inspector, and very rarely went out of the town, I spent nearly every working day mainly in New St, Corporation St, Colmore Row, and the Digbeth area, the crowds and the traffic didn't bother me at all, then I was based in an office for 11 years and only went to town on very rare occasions, I took early retirement just over 2 years ago and moved to Wales, I couldn't face the city centre now and doubt I will ever return again, I visit the Lodge Hill Cemetery a couple of times a year and that's as close as I get.
Plus I don't like sport, so there's no way I would go wherever it's held.   

Wise man Coastal , we recently moved from Great Barr . We've moved to a quiet country village now , at last there is no more listening
to wannabe Lewis Hamiltons, 100mph living is now a thing of the past
Mark Twain

Patriot

« Reply #26 on: October 01, 2017, 10:58:52 PM »
A radical suggestion: Why doesn't Birmingham City Council hold a referendum to gauge support for the 2022 Games? If they are as popular as BCC claim then let the people decide.
It's called democracy.
Don't be afraid to stand for what you believe in, even if that means standing alone.

Coastal

« Reply #27 on: October 01, 2017, 11:04:54 PM »
Democracy, what's that then
Do unto others before they do unto you.

countrylad

« Reply #28 on: October 01, 2017, 11:16:04 PM »
A radical suggestion: Why doesn't Birmingham City Council hold a referendum to gauge support for the 2022 Games? If they are as popular as BCC claim then let the people decide.
It's called democracy.
Good point Patriot, problem is Brum would still be in transition by 2028  ??? . We talk about communist states being run by the media, well what can I say.....

Edmund Fifield

« Reply #29 on: October 01, 2017, 11:25:16 PM »
 >:( Who is to pay for it all,they must be mad
Make every day a day to remember
Because this ain't no rehearsal
And you ain't coming back

Scipio

« Reply #30 on: October 01, 2017, 11:31:16 PM »

>:( Who is to pay for it all,they must be mad

The ever so bottomless pocket of the working brummies no less I shouldn't wonder .
Mark Twain

countrylad

« Reply #31 on: October 01, 2017, 11:45:20 PM »
Yup, you're right Scipio, a thread on this forum talked about the state of the Coventry road into Brum. Council short of money to sort out. And then The Games. Obviously it will look good on someone's CV, showing ' successes in post' before they move on the their next appointment.

Scipio

« Reply #32 on: October 02, 2017, 12:03:43 AM »

Yup, you're right Scipio, a thread on this forum talked about the state of the Coventry road into Brum. Council short of money to sort out. And then The Games. Obviously it will look good on someone's CV, showing ' successes in post' before they move on the their next appointment.

It will probably be the same as that eyesore in West Bromwich  The Public , which I think Sandwell College has took it over . A woman
on the council oversaw it she was on first name terms with all the builders , she arrived there first thing every morning to see the progress
etc , when it was finished she got an award for her efforts , six months later wham bam thank you mam she was on her bike . BBC
Midland News done a 10 minute story on her as the eyesore was being built . It lost money hand over fist from day one . Residents in
West Bromwich that I used to chat to said a decent swimming baths for the kids would have been better . After the commonwealth games what do you do with it to bring in revenue ?
Mark Twain

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy