Author Topic: BIRMINGHAM TO HOST THE 2022 COMMONWEALTH GAMES  (Read 21607 times)

Ian Dalziel

Re: BIRMINGHAM TO HOST THE 2022 COMMONWEALTH GAMES
« Reply #44 on: October 27, 2017, 04:03:38 PM »
I was astonished to hear on the news the other day that we dont have a venue big enough in the Midlands to hold the cycling events and they may have to toake place in Manchester or London, embarrasing or what?

Could be why the Council were so keen to back the Birmingham Velo Event last month. Apparently, there are plans to run it for the next few years. Perhaps they want to iron all the faults out of the course and then hold the Road Races on it in 2022.
Let's make the best out of a bad situation.

bethanyclaire

« Reply #45 on: October 29, 2017, 04:29:59 PM »
I think this is a very important thing that could help shape the face of Birmingham.

Having said that if any kind members of this forum would be able to spare a couple minutes of their day to fill out my survey on their perception of Birmingham and possibly leave in the comment section their view of Birmingham hosting these games.Then please check it out at.(have to write it weird due to limit on external links)

www.
surverymonkey
.co.uk
/r/TW75XT9

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #46 on: October 29, 2017, 05:55:37 PM »
Hi bethanyclaire

The reason why there is a why new members are unable to post links on the forum, is to stop spammers joining just to post links. If you read our rules that cover this you would have seen this,

• No spamming. Do not post or send unsolicited pm's advertising something or promoting another website without the permission of the administrator.

Though on this occasion I will let your link pass and having converted it to a link to one that will actually get you to the page required I will just comment that having completed the survey it's pretty easy to see from the questions asked what sort of a result you are looking for. Can I just ask do you live in Birmingham?

www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/TW75XT9
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #47 on: June 20, 2019, 10:04:56 AM »
Why are we demolishing the flyover at Perry Barr to facilitate the 2022 Commonwealth Games. If there were some other reason than the games, for instance making traffic flow easier then I might agree. Though even Birmingham's Lord Mayor Andy Street says "The Work would cause significant disruption and make traffic marginally worse once completed" So Why?
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Edmund Fifield

« Reply #48 on: June 20, 2019, 03:50:31 PM »
Probably because someone somewhere has got a deep pocket to fill O0
Make every day a day to remember
Because this ain't no rehearsal
And you ain't coming back

emerald

« Reply #49 on: June 21, 2019, 02:57:33 PM »

https://www.sandwell.gov.uk/aquaticscentre

This is being built on playing fields. There are 2 parks nearby but the area they are using to build on is surrounded by houses. There has been trouble already with residents worried about noise and parking. I suppose it will be good for people to use after the event as two swimming baths have to close to make way for this.

Edmund Fifield

« Reply #50 on: June 22, 2019, 02:18:53 PM »
Are they filling the Underpass in atPerry Barr
Make every day a day to remember
Because this ain't no rehearsal
And you ain't coming back

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #51 on: June 26, 2019, 01:38:44 PM »
Today,s Birmingham Mail states, the original estimate for the 2022 Commonwealth games has risen from £750 million to £778 Million a rise of £28 million and there is still two years to go. As with all these estimates given by local and central government can we expect the original estimate to double by the time the opening date rolls around. £594 million of this amount is being found by central government, but that still leaves Birmingham ratepayers with £184 million to find. I wonder how big the next rate rise will be?
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Scipio

« Reply #52 on: June 26, 2019, 10:23:05 PM »
Today,s Birmingham Mail states, the original estimate for the 2022 Commonwealth games has risen from £750 million to £778 Million a rise of £28 million and there is still two years to go. As with all these estimates given by local and central government can we expect the original estimate to double by the time the opening date rolls around. £594 million of this amount is being found by central government, but that still leaves Birmingham ratepayers with £184 million to find. I wonder how big the next rate rise will be?

Another white elephant in my book
If voting made any difference , they wouldn't let us do it.
Mark Twain

JudithM

« Reply #53 on: June 27, 2019, 01:27:44 PM »
Interesting piece on the BBC today about this & how much of the bill is likely to have to be paid by the taxpayer -

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-48762542

I know that it's not just to hold the event - there will be road & infrastructure improvements and some new housing which will be of public use long after the event - but it does seem to be a lot of money that the Council is going to find in it's already restricted budget. 

"I know tomorrow's gonna taste like cake"

astoness

« Reply #54 on: June 30, 2019, 08:43:33 AM »
has anyone on this forum actually seen the state of perry barr... and i dont mean on street view...i have and still do...underpasses swimming in urine and littered with evidence of drug taking..shops either side a disgrace and in bad repair due to neglect...bags of ripped open bags of household rubbish line the pavements outside the shops..some are still there weeks later...beggars always sitting outside perry barr train station and a one legged female who stops traffic asking if she can clean the car windows.......and they want the worlds top athletes to see all this because no matter how much this area is tarted up it will never change...its a joke...

lyn

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy