Author Topic: old bus station  (Read 8620 times)

Phil

• Global Moderator
Re: old bus station
« Reply #44 on: May 10, 2018, 03:08:34 PM »
That's a great picture!

This one might interest you it's the bus station when it served as a temporary home for the Rag Market. I have to say that I never visited this version of it and I have yet to visit the one that replaced it, hopefully I'll get round to it one day.

I was just thinking, when I started collecting these photos, I considered anything taken after 1990 as not worth collecting, but as things are changing and disappearing that rapidly these days I've had to change my ideas.
Make Love Not War

JudithM

« Reply #45 on: May 11, 2018, 01:16:43 PM »

This one might interest you it's the bus station when it served as a temporary home for the Rag Market. I have to say that I never visited this version of it and I have yet to visit the one that replaced it, hopefully I'll get round to it one day.

I was just thinking, when I started collecting these photos, I considered anything taken after 1990 as not worth collecting, but as things are changing and disappearing that rapidly these days I've had to change my ideas.

Thanks for that picture,  when was it used as the temporary Rag Market?  I'm guessing it was while the lastest building was being constructed, but I can't remember it being housed in the bus depot at all.

It's funny how quickly things that you think of as modern are suddenly something to be nostalgic about.  With the rate that buildings are going up & down in the city centre now it won't be that long until the City of the 1990's is as alien to new visitors as the City of the 1950's & 60's is to young people now.
"I know tomorrow's gonna taste like cake"

mikejee

« Reply #46 on: May 11, 2018, 10:36:49 PM »
It is alreasy to those who don't visit often. I have had three people who had not visited it for a while say that to me

Phil

• Global Moderator
« Reply #47 on: May 12, 2018, 10:02:50 AM »
Mike

As you know, you already have more idea about to-days Birmingham than I have. The only way I can get around now is by using some of the old landmarks that still survive and thankfully most of the street layouts are still the same.
Make Love Not War

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #48 on: May 12, 2018, 10:33:15 AM »
I was in Birmingham a few weeks back  come in via train snowhill  and made my way across town to the bull ring I can put hand on heart and say its not the bum that I know any more I found my way around using some of the old land marks had a look at new street station come out  just up the road from what used to be the bus station  then made  our way to what used to be the rag market and st martins church I just could not believe how different it was then made  our way to moore street station to get the train back to kiddy did I like what I seen not sure just different but I think its just has easy to get about has it used to be we do not like change  but we just have to live with it
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

Phil

• Global Moderator
« Reply #49 on: May 12, 2018, 10:42:39 AM »
Roy

You say it is just as easy to get about, I don't dispute that. What I'm saying is that if you are looking for a particular shop or office that you used to visit before the changes were made then unless you have a map of the location your chances of finding it are pretty slim.
Make Love Not War

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #50 on: May 12, 2018, 11:15:50 AM »
the thing is phil yes it is different but look at it from my point I think iv been in to brum perhaps 20 times over the last 20 years each time its been different iv seen three different bull rings in my life but now if I lived in brum and went in two or three times aweek like I have in the past I'm sure I would find things with out a map one of my grandkids knows brum town centre like the back of her hand and she lives in Leamington

JudithM

« Reply #51 on: May 14, 2018, 12:40:04 PM »
Roy

You say it is just as easy to get about, I don't dispute that. What I'm saying is that if you are looking for a particular shop or office that you used to visit before the changes were made then unless you have a map of the location your chances of finding it are pretty slim.

A lot of things have moved.  I used to work in the city centre (Colmore Row & then St Philips Place) and knew it very well.  These days I don't go into Town so often. I work just off Broad Street so probably only go into the City centre a handful of times a year now.  Every time I go in something seems to have gone or moved - even WH Smith now!  I was so upset when the Co-Op was demolished to make way for the Pavilions, and now that is being reconstructed (to be turned into a giant Primark).

One thing I have noticed is a lot of shops closing, or moving to the Bull Ring only to be replaced by food places (coffee shops as well as eateries).  I guess the city centre workers have plenty of choice for their lunches now  ;D

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #52 on: May 14, 2018, 01:21:12 PM »
well at least its not full of charity shops  much like kiddy and stourport

Phil

• Global Moderator
« Reply #53 on: May 14, 2018, 01:24:31 PM »
As this thread is beginning to stray more than a little off topic, and after all this is a photo thread not a discussion thread I will stat a new thread on the Old Birmingham board to cover the topic being discussed now.
Make Love Not War

JudithM

« Reply #54 on: May 15, 2018, 01:49:09 PM »
Does anyone remember the Chinese food hut that was next to the Bus Station?  It wasn't much more than a portacabin.  If I had a long time to wait for a bus I'd get something to eat there on a Saturday afternoon.  Everything was cooked from fresh & you could see them cooking from the where you stood.  I can't remember the name of the place (talking early '80's here).