Author Topic: The number 8 bus route  (Read 69994 times)

Phil

• Account Closed
Re: The number 8 bus route
« Reply #66 on: November 01, 2017, 04:39:45 PM »
Potomac

A little bit earlier than my time frame for this thread, but I thought you might enjoy seeing these two items from the 1920's.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Edmund Fifield

« Reply #67 on: November 01, 2017, 05:00:02 PM »
Phil,when we first got married in 1963 we had a lovely attic flat just up from the Ivy Bush, at flat 3 / 37 Clarendon Rd,there was Chinese take away just before the traffic lights,used to use it every Sat night
Make every day a day to remember
Because this ain't no rehearsal
And you ain't coming back

Edmund Fifield

« Reply #68 on: November 01, 2017, 05:01:40 PM »
Phil were was the Palais de Danse
Make every day a day to remember
Because this ain't no rehearsal
And you ain't coming back

Potomac

« Reply #69 on: November 01, 2017, 05:26:27 PM »
Thanks Phil,  I wasn't  around in the 'twenties either.  But if my father and some of his brothers were still around I guess they might have been in there before WW2.
Post 11, showing the filling  station also quite nicely includes the Spring Hill Library - which, D.G., still stands today..
best wishes,  Alan

Scipio

« Reply #70 on: November 01, 2017, 08:52:18 PM »

Scipio,

Yes there were quite a few Bundy clocks scattered around the route, just off the top of my head I remember the ones at Adderley Street Saltley, Highgate Road, Sparkbrook, the one you mention on Monument Road, There must be another one at least, they wouldn't have two on one side of the road and two on the other would they?

I agree Phil racking my brains along that route as to where another one might have been
If voting made any difference , they wouldn't let us do it.
Mark Twain

Scipio

« Reply #71 on: November 01, 2017, 10:17:19 PM »

Potomac,

As far as the Woodwards shop goes I think it was the other way around. Pearks Dairy's Ltd took over the shop in the mid 50's and must have fitted new blinds, but didn't bother having the old name painted out. As for Monument Filling Station it is listed in the 1955 Trade Directory which means it must have opened in 1954.

Yes the Palais de Danse was probably where the garage was placed but if I am honest I do not remember either of them (I was only 7 or 8 at the time) and yes there were probably lots more places of interest on the whole of the route, that is why I keep asking for posters to suggest places. Always remembering I am trying to limit this to the 1950-60 limit before all the roads were changed.

Spent a bit of time in these swimming baths as a kid both on school holidays and at St Peters school , good days except when we where at school and we had to walk back to school in the rain . 40 or so minutes in the pool getting soaked then out into the rain. On the school holidays when we had got changed we went up to the café, a cup of Oxo and a packet of Cheesettes were the order of the day.
We were ready for anything after that
If voting made any difference , they wouldn't let us do it.
Mark Twain

JudithM

« Reply #72 on: November 02, 2017, 01:47:56 PM »
Potomac,

As far as the Woodwards shop goes I think it was the other way around. Pearks Dairy's Ltd took over the shop in the mid 50's and must have fitted new blinds, but didn't bother having the old name painted out. As for Monument Filling Station it is listed in the 1955 Trade Directory which means it must have opened in 1954.

Yes the Palais de Danse was probably where the garage was placed but if I am honest I do not remember either of them (I was only 7 or 8 at the time) and yes there were probably lots more places of interest on the whole of the route, that is why I keep asking for posters to suggest places. Always remembering I am trying to limit this to the 1950-60 limit before all the roads were changed.

That 1st picture looks remarkably like Northfield Swimming baths - were they built at the same time by the same people?
"I know tomorrow's gonna taste like cake"

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #73 on: November 02, 2017, 02:55:29 PM »
That 1st picture looks remarkably like Northfield Swimming baths - were they built at the same time by the same people?

Judith

I believe Northfield baths opened in 1937 and Monument Road baths opened in 1940 replacing a much lager building that opened in 1883. So it's quite possible they are by the same architect. 
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Potomac

« Reply #74 on: November 02, 2017, 03:03:42 PM »
If my post 64 is read there is a link describing Monument Road baths history. 
best wishes,  Alan

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #75 on: November 02, 2017, 03:08:38 PM »
If my post 64 is read there is a link describing Monument Road baths history.

Potomac

I have the book that the extract on that webpage comes from, it gives a potted history of all the baths in Birmingham from 1851 to 1951.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Potomac

« Reply #76 on: November 02, 2017, 05:03:36 PM »
This is a link to Birmingham's public baths:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Birmingham_Baths_Committee#Monument_Road_Baths

There is no architect mentioned for Monument Road but there is for Northfield.
best wishes,  Alan

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy