Author Topic: The number 8 bus route  (Read 69953 times)

astoness

Re: The number 8 bus route
« Reply #99 on: November 07, 2017, 04:57:18 AM »
it was very scary to a child walking through the icknield railway bridge..dark..damp and noisy...i used to think monsters lived there ;D

lyn

Scipio

« Reply #100 on: November 07, 2017, 10:02:40 AM »

it was very scary to a child walking through the icknield railway bridge..dark..damp and noisy...i used to think monsters lived there ;D

lyn

They did , didn't they Lyn ? I know what you mean though , I think they're all the same . Whether it's Icknield or the bottom of Lionel St
or the one in Holliday St . Damp and dirty and very noisy
If voting made any difference , they wouldn't let us do it.
Mark Twain

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #101 on: November 11, 2017, 01:25:53 PM »
Crossing over the bottom of Hockley Hill now and heading into Hunters Road, then a right turn into Nursery Road, then past the mission rooms on the corner of Wellesley Street to Lozells Street School.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #102 on: November 11, 2017, 08:10:14 PM »
We are now at the junction of Berners Street with the Union Inn hidden by the bus in the first photo.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Potomac

« Reply #103 on: November 11, 2017, 09:29:31 PM »
I cannot add much to most of the photos posted here by Phil, just a comment to say that the buildings and architecture seen was to be found along much of the No. 8 bus route.

However, I do have some information about the photo with all those lovely young women waiting for the bus.
The bus, a 19936 Daimler BOP 883 (883) has come from Gerrard Sreet and is arriving at the stop in Nursery Road and heading for Hockley.  The girls are, apparently, with their domestic science teacher and are from a local school (Do the still teach how to cook these days - or is it how to open packets and tins?  ;) ) and are going for a picnic having left the 'Home Organization' House, which is by them.  This place taught all manner of domestic tasks
I believe the two wheeled cart is that of a window cleaner or maybe a sweep.
best wishes,  Alan

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #104 on: November 11, 2017, 10:02:35 PM »

it looks like a window cleaner when you enlarge the photo but just a tad of colour
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

davesd1

« Reply #105 on: November 12, 2017, 10:08:18 AM »

On the Hockley hill photo,i'm assuming that H.Samuels occupied both sides of Hunters Rd. as the bridge is visible.The right hand side looks just as old as the left.
Did they remove the bridge,then build the new block and replace it again?   

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #106 on: November 12, 2017, 12:26:39 PM »
On the Hockley hill photo,i'm assuming that H.Samuels occupied both sides of Hunters Rd. as the bridge is visible.The right hand side looks just as old as the left.
Did they remove the bridge,then build the new block and replace it again?

Dave

My honest answer would have to be "I don't know". I can't ever remember the bridge being rebuilt since it was first put in place around 1959. Though Lyn (Astoness) might know more as she used to live in the area around that time. She is back tonight after a few days away, of she looks in then she might have the answer. As far as I can see from images it looks as if it has always been the same bridge to me.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

davesd1

« Reply #107 on: November 12, 2017, 01:42:37 PM »

Thanks for reply Phil and the extra photos.It just looks different when you look to the right hand side of the lorry.I even thought I was looking at the other end,but the clock wouldn't be visible.
The buildings on the near right hand side are something I've never seen before as I remember the bank being there,the other side of the ramp into Samuels.
When the clocks went back,we always had to make sure the bridge clock was fully lit (3x60w lamps)to make the right impression to the passers-by.   

Potomac

« Reply #108 on: November 12, 2017, 01:51:18 PM »
I was puzzled by that bridge, as I didn't recall ever seeing it.  It seems the bridge was not put there until 1959 which  ;D explains things as I was never in that area after 1954.
best wishes,  Alan

Potomac

« Reply #109 on: November 12, 2017, 03:35:28 PM »

This place seemed to slip through the net when we were in Monument Road.  It is tall enough so should not have been missed.  ;D
best wishes,  Alan

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy