Author Topic: The number 8 bus route  (Read 69944 times)

Phil

• Account Closed
The number 8 bus route
« on: October 18, 2017, 11:21:14 AM »
When I was a child living in Balsall Heath with my grandparents Sunday Morning was a very boring time for us children. To get us from underfoot whilst cooking Sunday Dinner we were sent for a ride around the Inner Circle number 8 bus route. This cost around 4d a child and the year would have been around 1955 when I would have been about 8, I would have been accompanied by one uncle aged 9 and an aunt around 14. Our biggest problem would be deciding if we would travel clockwise or anti- clockwise around the route.

It seems that we always chose the clockwise route more often than not. So for illustration purposes that is the route I will try to reproduce here. The route is basically the same today, though it has changed a little. I will try to reproduce the 1955 route as near as I can remember, but please forgive me if I stray a little off path because it has been a long time. For guidance this is the route today.

Balsall Heath
Lee Bank
Five Ways
Jewellery Quarter
Hockley
Newtown
Nechells
Saltley Gate/ Alum Rock
Bordesley
Small Heath
Sparkbrook
Balsall Heath

Please join me on this journey and add  anything about the route that you wish to be it a memory or a photo.  I ask only one thing, that you keep to each section of the route as I lay it out, as memories  and photos of Sparkbrook for instance would make little sense in the Hockley part of the route. I will give plenty of time for additional comments between each section, though at the end of the route there will be time to comment on any part of the route.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Ogri

Re: The number 8 bus route
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2017, 11:43:36 AM »
As an apprentice in the 60s i would walk to Golden hillock road and catch the number 8 at the bottom of Walford road,travel via Muntz street & Victoria street to Burbidge road off Bordesley green road every morning including Saturdays & then return after work,cycling was a pain up the hill to the BSA so i was so glad when i could afford my first motor bike,now i can use my bus pass if i need to & take in the sights,how things have changed.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2017, 11:45:13 AM »
Balsall Heath.

Moseley Road to Gooch Street.

starting at the junction of Moseley Rd and Belgrave Rd outside the Belgrave public House. Down Belgrave Rd past Orchard road that ran at the rear of the Moseley Cinema.  Further down the hill passing Dares Brewery and some local shops and the Eagle public house at the junction of Gooch St and Longmore St.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2017, 12:29:26 PM »
Ogri

Thanks for your contribution, but can I ask that you read my first post, as this will not work unless we keep the districts sequential.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2017, 01:04:23 PM »
Belgrave Rd at the junction of Longmore Street at Wrensons Corner, then further up on the right we have St Lukes Rd and on the left Varna Road (a little earlier than the 50's)
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2017, 01:12:54 PM »
The junction of Pershore road, and then crossing Bristol Rd passing the Bristol Cinema before heading up Lee Bank Road.

With this section complete, if anybody wishes to add any comments, memories or photos, please do.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

JudithM

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2017, 01:18:47 PM »
I remember using that cinema, shame it was demolished.  Although there is a drive-through McDonalds on the corner, a lot of the site where the cinema was is still waste ground  ::)
"I know tomorrow's gonna taste like cake"

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2017, 02:40:31 PM »
Judith

For some reason they did this a lot all over Birmingham the land my local was on in Balsall Heath /Sparkbrook is still an empty site 43 years after it was demolished and it's not as if it was not doing well. It was the only pub in the area that had a decent crowd seven nights a week.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

astoness

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2017, 05:17:35 PM »
thanks phil some nice photos..i am waiting for you get to a certain place on the route because myself and mate both agree that the bus did not go up a particular st...someone said it did but i cant recall it

lyn

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2017, 05:21:22 PM »
Well Lyn all I can say is I hope that I cover the street that interests you, if you message me with the name of the street I'll make sure I do, if it's part of the route that is.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

astoness

« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2017, 05:26:25 PM »
cheers phil message sent

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy