Author Topic: The number 8 bus route  (Read 69954 times)

Potomac

Re: The number 8 bus route
« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2017, 03:45:28 PM »
The photo that I mentioned - the two buses - was about your very first picture in this thread I believe.
best wishes,  Alan

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2017, 04:21:20 PM »
There you are Potomac a demonstration of just how little I know about buses. It's the districts and building of days gone by that catch my interest.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Potomac

« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2017, 05:50:55 PM »
best wishes,  Alan

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2017, 02:18:33 PM »
Anybody wishing to add anything about the Balsall Heath section of the route, best do it now as I will be heading up Lee Bank in a day or two.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Potomac

« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2017, 03:27:12 PM »
..........................................It's the districts and building of days gone by that catch my interest.
[/quote

They are the only ones I have a hope of recognizing!   ;)
best wishes,  Alan

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #27 on: October 25, 2017, 02:07:30 PM »
Crossing over Bristol Road onto Spring Vale between the Bristol Cinema and Paynes Shoe repair shop  on the other corner (1) . We then turn into Spring Road Street and turn right onto Sun Street West (2). Our next junction is Gough Street (3) and the next is Summer Street with the Sun St Fruit Store & Café on the corner (4). 
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #28 on: October 25, 2017, 02:51:09 PM »
Moving up Lee Bank Road now and passing Ryland Road (1) Lee Mount (2) Wheeleys Road (3) and on to Islington Row (4) I don't think any of this is left now.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #29 on: October 25, 2017, 03:14:17 PM »
We are now near the end of Islington Row (1) over the road is the site of the National Assistance Board, Welfare Department and Tax Office new office block (2) Then we are on Five ways looking back at Islington Row(3) still on Five Ways looking along Hagley Road (4).
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #30 on: October 25, 2017, 03:28:05 PM »
Before moving down Hagley Road one last look of Five Ways in the 50's (1) next looking back down Hagley Road (2) The Junction of Francis Road and The Assembly Rooms (3) Now we have reached Monument Road (4).

Before We make our way through Ladywood I will pause for comments and additions on out trip through Lee Bank and Edgbaston.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Potomac

« Reply #31 on: October 25, 2017, 07:21:26 PM »
I wonder what James Miller did in those premises to the rear of Paynes Shoe repairs?

The other photo that I will comment upon is the Islington Row one.  The photo shows Foulkes who were furriers and the premises shown are Tudor House, 47 - 49 Islington Row.  George and Elizabeth Foulkes were the founders of the company, two other brothers, Richard and Charles were also directors.

The company started in 1927 in Alum Rock Road, Saltley but soon moved to the Islington Row premises and were there until 1963 moving quite close to Calthorpe Road until 1990.  Presently there is listed Foulkes Furriers in Ladywood Road.  What, if any,  connection there is to the original company I cannot say.
The Islington Row premises, as can be seen, was large and contained rooms with a dedicated theme.  The place was amazing apparently, full of antiques, stuffed birds and stuffed animals.  I wish I had been in there but sadly I never  did.
The rather splendid limousine outside the Islington Row premises may have belonged to one f the Foulkes family or a customer of course.

best wishes,  Alan

Scipio

« Reply #32 on: October 25, 2017, 07:29:56 PM »

When I was a child living in Balsall Heath with my grandparents Sunday Morning was a very boring time for us children. To get us from underfoot whilst cooking Sunday Dinner we were sent for a ride around the Inner Circle number 8 bus route. This cost around 4d a child and the year would have been around 1955 when I would have been about 8, I would have been accompanied by one uncle aged 9 and an aunt around 14. Our biggest problem would be deciding if we would travel clockwise or anti- clockwise around the route.

It seems that we always chose the clockwise route more often than not. So for illustration purposes that is the route I will try to reproduce here. The route is basically the same today, though it has changed a little. I will try to reproduce the 1955 route as near as I can remember, but please forgive me if I stray a little off path because it has been a long time. For guidance this is the route today.

Balsall Heath
Lee Bank
Five Ways
Jewellery Quarter
Hockley
Newtown
Nechells
Saltley Gate/ Alum Rock
Bordesley
Small Heath
Sparkbrook
Balsall Heath

Please join me on this journey and add  anything about the route that you wish to be it a memory or a photo.  I ask only one thing, that you keep to each section of the route as I lay it out, as memories  and photos of Sparkbrook for instance would make little sense in the Hockley part of the route. I will give plenty of time for additional comments between each section, though at the end of the route there will be time to comment on any part of the route.

Phil I often wanted to go on that route , whichever way clockwise or anti . The question I'd like to as is how long did it take to go all the way around . The other route I wanted to explore was the no 11 outer circle , that's another missed ambition
If voting made any difference , they wouldn't let us do it.
Mark Twain

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy