Author Topic: The number 8 bus route  (Read 69952 times)

Scipio

Re: The number 8 bus route
« Reply #44 on: October 27, 2017, 10:08:44 AM »

Scipio this is exactly the one I can recall. As I said earlier I couldn't quite remember the details but now you mention the names and facts it has all come back to me. If it was in 1959 then I was only ten years old and not in my teens at the time.

Well James I'll never forget it , because of the proximity to where I lived at the time in William St , Wheeleys Rd being on the opposite
side of Islington Row/ Bell Barn Rd . Plus the old bill knocking on everybody's door to interview all male adults .
If voting made any difference , they wouldn't let us do it.
Mark Twain

Akatarawa

« Reply #45 on: October 28, 2017, 09:23:08 AM »
At the time of the Stephanie Baird murder I had a flat on the Bristol Road and had gone home for Christmas.  Whilst away the police came and grilled all the other people in the house, they were checking up on all the boarding houses and flats looking for likely single men :)

Going back to reply #28, the 1Ryland Road picture shows I'm almost sure the Burman factory, the first of the two bigger buildings on the left.  My dad worked there for many years.  However my memory could well be faulty as it was around 1944 that he took me there !
Anyone recognise it ?

Scipio

« Reply #46 on: October 28, 2017, 11:16:32 AM »

Moving up Lee Bank Road now and passing Ryland Road (1) Lee Mount (2) Wheeleys Road (3) and on to Islington Row (4) I don't think any of this is left now.

Phil when I was a nipper that furriers(Islington Row 4) used to have window arrangements with various animals on display depicting the various furs that were available I suppose , like foxes bears leopards the main window had a tiger in a fight with some sort of a python I think it was wrapped around the tiger .These  animals had dropped off at the taxidermist first as they were actual animals, another window along there were a couple of figures with national dress on . looking back I think they were from Borneo
I was always spellbound by these windows, always anxious for another scenario from the jungle . When they left Islington Row they moved just up the road to Calthorpe Rd, Their widow displays weren't as good in those days.  Great Pictures Phil thanks
Mark Twain

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #47 on: October 28, 2017, 11:50:07 AM »
Akatarawa

I'm afraid both those factory premises each side of Ryland Road were part of the same factory Rogers & Hulme, who produced gearboxes for the motor car industry. The only Burman's I can find in the time period you mention are located in Erdington, Kings Norton and on Corporation Street. If you give me a little mote information on what your father did and what was produced at the factory perhaps I may be able to help.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Akatarawa

« Reply #48 on: October 29, 2017, 01:26:07 AM »
Akatarawa

I'm afraid both those factory premises each side of Ryland Road were part of the same factory Rogers & Hulme, who produced gearboxes for the motor car industry. The only Burman's I can find in the time period you mention are located in Erdington, Kings Norton and on Corporation Street. If you give me a little mote information on what your father did and what was produced at the factory perhaps I may be able to help.

Burman and Sons Ltd manufactured steering gear, sheep and hair clippers, and most famously motorcycle gear boxes.  During the war they also made armament parts, grenades I think.

They were in Ryland Road from the 1930s until sometime during the 1950s when they moved to Kings Norton.  My Dad who had been with them from about 1936 left them when they moved in the 50s

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burman_and_Sons

Coastal

« Reply #49 on: October 29, 2017, 10:23:44 AM »
When I was young, my dad worked at Burman's at Kings Norton, I think it was somewhere near what is now Triplex in the Camp Lane area.
Do unto others before they do unto you.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #50 on: October 29, 2017, 11:53:08 AM »
Akatarawa

Now we have a more concise date, it looks as if the building in question later became part of the Gear box works and might have been the second large factory building going up Lee Bank. The premises in Kings Norton were on Wychall Lane up near the then Golf Course.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #51 on: October 30, 2017, 08:05:43 PM »
tomorrow we will journey through Ladywood to Hockley & Lozells , so if you want to add anything further about Lee Bank & Edgbaston now's the time to do it.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Scipio

« Reply #52 on: October 30, 2017, 09:19:23 PM »

tomorrow we will journey through Ladywood to Hockley & Lozells , so if you want to add anything further about Lee Bank & Edgbaston now's the time to do it.

Phil the Ladywood part will be of particular interest to me thanks
Mark Twain

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #53 on: October 31, 2017, 10:03:22 PM »
I've been a bit pushed for time over the last couple of days, so I'll make a start on Ladywood this evening and try to finish it off tomorrow.

Turning into Monument Road we pass the Ivy Bush on out right, just a little further down on out left we pass Cave's furniture store on the corner of Parker Road, just past there on the same side was the Edgbaston cinema, further down over the road stands St Johns Church.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Potomac

« Reply #54 on: October 31, 2017, 10:19:01 PM »
I have the feeling that Caves furnishers had more shops in the city.  Can anyone shed further light on this?
best wishes,  Alan

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy