Author Topic: The number 8 bus route  (Read 69958 times)

Potomac

Re: The number 8 bus route
« Reply #77 on: November 02, 2017, 08:55:47 PM »
Reviewing the thread I remembered something unusual about the pub Bridge Inn.  It apparently was not always there in Monument Road.  It it is said that it was in Icknield Street West moving in 1877.  Sadly for the regulars it closed in 1967.

Thinking back to the Five Was area mention II guess should be made of the Oratory.  The Birmingham Oratory for those who are unfamiliar it is a Catholic church founded in memory of Blessed John Henry Newman.  There are now five Oratories in the UK and seven in the USA all belonging to the religious Order founded by Newman.
Another place of where one could most likely watch the world go by and ruminate in the Chamberlain Gardens in Ladywood Road.
best wishes,  Alan

Scipio

« Reply #78 on: November 02, 2017, 10:04:16 PM »

Reviewing the thread I remembered something unusual about the pub Bridge Inn.  It apparently was not always there in Monument Road.  It it is said that it was in Icknield Street West moving in 1877.  Sadly for the regulars it closed in 1967.

Thinking back to the Five Was area mention II guess should be made of the Oratory.  The Birmingham Oratory for those who are unfamiliar it is a Catholic church founded in memory of Blessed John Henry Newman.  There are now five Oratories in the UK and seven in the USA all belonging to the religious Order founded by Newman.
Another place of where one could most likely watch the world go by and ruminate in the Chamberlain Gardens in Ladywood Road.

Alan Cor Ad Cor Loquitor this was emblazoned on my breast pocket for 4yrs 1960-64 his coat of arms if that's the right expression
is in the courtyard to the Oratory His room is exactly the same as when he died I've been in there . I went to Cardinal Newman
Sec , Poplar Avenue 
If voting made any difference , they wouldn't let us do it.
Mark Twain

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #79 on: November 03, 2017, 02:56:56 PM »

Potomac

It was only the name of the road and slight pub name change in 1877 changing from the Bridge House Tavern 73 Icknield Street West to the Bridge Inn 73 Monument Road. I don't think they moved the pub or even replaced it.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Potomac

« Reply #80 on: November 03, 2017, 05:07:01 PM »
I see, Phil, thanks for the correction.  However moving old buildings is not uncommon.  The most widely reported was the ancient building in Hereford.  Two ancient pubs in Manchester were re-located after the Manchester IRA bombing and nearer to me an old building in Exeter was moved.  I have not seen the Exeter one in its new home, I only remember it where it was.
I guess there are countless more that have moved, particularly in the USA.
best wishes,  Alan

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #81 on: November 03, 2017, 06:46:34 PM »
Over the weekend I will be crossing over Spring Hill and making headroads into Hockley & Lozells, so any final thoughts and comments now please.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

astoness

« Reply #82 on: November 03, 2017, 07:05:20 PM »
great phil you are getting to my neck o the woods now O0

Potomac

« Reply #83 on: November 03, 2017, 09:50:45 PM »
I have just remembered seeing an Inner Circle 8 bus, which was approaching the traffic lights at the Spring Hill/Monument Road junction, which looked a little different.  This was bus HOV 803 (1803).  It was one of 85 Daimler buses introduced in 1948, the final ones in January 1949.  Their engines were a development of some that were trialled with some of the city's wartime buses.  The engines were 6" shorter than other Daimlers and that enabled to lengthen the rear platform by 6"..  The first 32 of the batch were the last, it seems to have handrails across the upstairs front windows, later buses had them fitted beneath the windows.
Bus 1843, when new, was exhibited at the 1948 Commercial Motor Show and 1822 was displayed at a British Festival in Copenhagen, Denmark in late summer 1948.
Now returning to bus 1803, the oddity I saw in Monument Road in 1949, I observed that it not only had the usual destination box at the front of the bus, it sported the three track route numbers above - as would be seen on all the 'new look' fronted buses introduced in 1950.  Although the bus entered service in 1948 just over a year later in July 1949 it re-entered service with the modifications.  This was an odd man out, so as to speak and was used as as an experiment initially visiting many BCT garages in order to acquaint the crews with what was to come.
Sister bus 1805 is seen here, 1803 had the route number above the normal box display in the manner of the 75 route bus following.
Related image
best wishes,  Alan

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #84 on: November 04, 2017, 04:02:33 PM »
Crossing over the Summer Hill Rd - Spring Hill Junction on the one side the Library and on the other the Palace Cinema that was taken over by Bulpitts (Swan) when it closed down in 1941.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #85 on: November 04, 2017, 05:02:50 PM »
Moving down Icknield Street and crossing over Camden Street.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Potomac

« Reply #86 on: November 04, 2017, 05:16:01 PM »

The pictures illustrate a crash between an Inner Circle bus travelling towards Icknield Street which was hit by a fire engine travelling towards the Dudley Road direction.  The bus was CVP 141 (1041) a 1937 Daimler vehicle.  This was in March 1949.  I did not see the accident happen but did see the aftermath.
Some information about this on the library web site:
http://www.libraryofbirmingham.com/article/springhilllibrary-history
From the Birmingham Mail:
The dramatic scene after a bus crash outside Spring Hill library, Birmingham, in 1949.

One of the pictures show quite well the library and the former cinema.
best wishes,  Alan

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #87 on: November 04, 2017, 07:39:31 PM »
moving down Icknield Street toward the Gate public house on the corner of Alfred's Place..
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy