Author Topic: The number 8 bus route  (Read 69950 times)

Potomac

Re: The number 8 bus route
« Reply #88 on: November 04, 2017, 09:47:25 PM »
Interesting photos showing one of the ubiquitous Payne's shoe repair shops.
The photo of the Gate PH appears to be a later date than the other one.  The building with two shops, immediately before the Gate has a different appearance,  The nearest one to the gate has ceased to be a shop, more like a workshop or store.  Quite noticeable are the two wall braces:  The small building, in the side street by The Gate does have a very tall chimney stack.  Was it part of the pub outbuildings or did it have another use with a different owner?  Icknield Street and most streets that run off it seems to have changed almost beyond recognition.   Apart from a few houses at the Pitsford Steet end, Hingeston Street seems to have lost all of its houses.

Image result for wall bracing of old buildings
best wishes,  Alan

mikejee

« Reply #89 on: November 04, 2017, 10:34:10 PM »
Up to WW2 the building next to The Gate (no 181) was a grocers. It then was unlisted in Kellys till the late 1940s when it became thomas Harris, jewellers materials. From about 1967 it was again unlisted

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #90 on: November 05, 2017, 01:51:06 PM »
We now arrive at the juncture of New Spring Street, Hingeston Street, Warstone Lane and Carver Street separated by a triangular traffic island with a ladies & gents toilet and horse trough.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Potomac

« Reply #91 on: November 05, 2017, 02:16:49 PM »
I see Stoddards were established in 1866.  Did they manage to achieve their century of trading before the wide spread demolitions commenced?
What is known about Freemans aniseed cough mixture?  Was it simply their shop or did they make it and supply other chemists with their product?
A nice horse trough with a fountain for the two legged horse owners.  ;)

The fancy goods people seem to want to be incognito, maybe that is a telephone number in the smaller writing.

best wishes,  Alan

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #92 on: November 05, 2017, 03:06:28 PM »
I see Stoddards were established in 1866.  Did they manage to achieve their century of trading before the wide spread demolitions commenced?
What is known about Freemans aniseed cough mixture?  Was it simply their shop or did they make it and supply other chemists with their product?
A nice horse trough with a fountain for the two legged horse owners.  ;)

The fancy goods people seem to want to be incognito, maybe that is a telephone number in the smaller writing.

I can answer a couple of those questions (I think) in 1966 Stoddards were still trading from 5 premises two on Icknield Street, one on Bearwood Road and another two on Soho Road.  By 1974 when the trade directories finish they were down to one shop on Icknield Street. As Freemans was registered as a Chemist & Druggist next door to Stoddards I think its safe to assume they manufactured the cough mixture as well.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

mikejee

« Reply #93 on: November 05, 2017, 10:33:09 PM »
Certainly in 1917 the adverts (in this case from the Coventry Standard) state it was manufactured by Freemans of Icknield st

Potomac

« Reply #94 on: November 06, 2017, 09:44:10 AM »
Thanks Mike, that has put the cough mixture to bed.
best wishes,  Alan

Potomac

« Reply #95 on: November 06, 2017, 12:30:05 PM »
I read, elsewhere that the public conveniences seen in Post  91, by Phil, was sold for £55,000 back along.  It seem to be some form of office or social welfare place.
It can be seen on those well known internet ;) ] maps!
best wishes,  Alan

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #96 on: November 06, 2017, 01:58:18 PM »
Next on our right comes the Birmingham Mint and then Warstone Lane Cemetery followed by Pitsford Street station and the railway bridge followed by Key Hill Cemetery.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #97 on: November 06, 2017, 02:03:24 PM »
Then comes Lodge Road across the road from the Bulls Head on the corner of Key Hill, then we pass Icknield Street School before making our way on to Hockley Hill at the Grand Turk public house.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Potomac

« Reply #98 on: November 06, 2017, 04:11:34 PM »
I visited the place last in early 1954 to pay respects to  relatives resting in Key Hill.
The nearby Hockley station and goods yards certainly were extensive as was the very long overbridge carrying the tracks and some buildings over Icknield Street.  It could be noisy there when buses and heavy goods vehicles travelled through it.

best wishes,  Alan

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy