Author Topic: The number 8 bus route  (Read 69995 times)

Phil

• Account Closed
Re: The number 8 bus route
« Reply #110 on: November 12, 2017, 04:40:07 PM »
Potomac

It certainly is a tall building as is the Waterworks tower just down the road, but neither are on the number 8 route and neither could be seen from the bus in the 1950-60's not with any clarity anyway. Which was the premise of the thread when I started it, there has to be limitations to the thread as it goes through many districts of the inner city of Birmingham. If not it might just as well be titled "The Inner City"
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Scipio

« Reply #111 on: November 12, 2017, 07:39:33 PM »

This place seemed to slip through the net when we were in Monument Road.  It is tall enough so should not have been missed.  ;D

Perrots Folly it's called
If voting made any difference , they wouldn't let us do it.
Mark Twain

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #112 on: November 12, 2017, 08:44:25 PM »
Scipio

We worked on it, when the weather people moved out. it was empty for a while then it was taken over by a trust who had the idea of opening it to the public. We tidied the site up by demolishing some outbuildings but we had to dress all the bricks for the walls that enclose the site now. Whilst we were there the building was found to have major structural defects apparent for anyone to see by the large crack that ran down the side of the building. Just after we completed our work, the job was stopped for a major structural survey. I think a lot of money had to be spent bringing it up to scratch.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Scipio

« Reply #113 on: November 12, 2017, 09:07:25 PM »

Scipio

We worked on it, when the weather people moved out. it was empty for a while then it was taken over by a trust who had the idea of opening it to the public. We tidied the site up by demolishing some outbuildings but we had to dress all the bricks for the walls that enclose the site now. Whilst we were there the building was found to have major structural defects apparent for anyone to see by the large crack that ran down the side of the building. Just after we completed our work, the job was stopped for a major structural survey. I think a lot of money had to be spent bringing it up to scratch.

Phil do you know when it was built ?
Mark Twain

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #114 on: November 12, 2017, 11:29:41 PM »

Phil do you know when it was built ?

Without looking it up, from memory I would say about 1750, John Perrott had it built as an observation tower so he could look out over the then open land of Rotton Park.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Scipio

« Reply #115 on: November 13, 2017, 10:21:25 AM »

Without looking it up, from memory I would say about 1750, John Perrott had it built as an observation tower so he could look out over the then open land of Rotton Park.

Phil I wonder what he would make of it now , if he looked out
Mark Twain

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #116 on: November 13, 2017, 10:27:27 AM »

Phil I wonder what he would make of it now , if he looked out

Well it's certainly not a parkland today, but it's better than 40 years ago.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

astoness

« Reply #117 on: November 16, 2017, 07:11:01 AM »
hi phil enjoying this no 8 journey thanks...before the no 8 turned out of icknield st into hunters road then right into nursery road i think it used to cut straight across from icknield st into farm st..pass the farm st entrance to farm st school (my school) turn left at the dentists on the corner into villa st then right into nursery road...not sure when this was as my memory does not stretch that far but i believe that used to be the route it took and of course with all the new road changes in places it has changed again

lyn

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #118 on: November 16, 2017, 11:46:51 AM »
Lyn

What you say is very likely true, the thing is the number 8 route changed it's route on many occasions and I wouldn't be able to cope with them all so I have just listed the route that I remember,

I'm a bit behind on this thread as I've just taken possesion of a new PC and I'm busy getting to know it and transferring item to it from my old machine.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #119 on: November 16, 2017, 12:10:23 PM »
On the corner of Wilton Street we pass the local chippy, then on to Wheeler Street on the one side Crabtrees shop and on the other side a hardware shop.

I'm using my old machine to post this, as I made such a mess of trying to use my new one.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

astoness

« Reply #120 on: November 16, 2017, 09:31:52 PM »
bit of extra info...post 119 photo 2 ..the building in the distance on the corner is the gunmakers arms another of our dads watering holes....still there but sadly closed its doors just a few months ago...i was able to take some inside shots when i popped in a few months back

lyn

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy