Author Topic: The number 8 bus route  (Read 69985 times)

Scipio

Re: The number 8 bus route
« Reply #209 on: July 19, 2018, 10:50:34 PM »
no john only when it was rollar...couldnt get on with ice skating..kept falling over ;D i did don on the old rollar boots again a couple of years back just for old times sake ...really enoyed it..not as fast as i was but at least i stayed up right lol

I remember it very well I used to be in St John's Ambulance Brigade walking around there with just a shirt on top would freeze the proverbials , I was always glad when the night was over , I dreaded the thought of someone having an accident and me not knowing what to do , it was ok back at the HQ Lionel St answering questions for promotion purposes but dreaded the practical
If voting made any difference , they wouldn't let us do it.
Mark Twain

Edmund Fifield

« Reply #210 on: July 19, 2018, 11:08:26 PM »
Used to go to the ice rink with my mates traveling from Lea Village on a Sat night,Magic fell over a few times plenty of wet trousers O0 O0
Make every day a day to remember
Because this ain't no rehearsal
And you ain't coming back

astoness

« Reply #211 on: July 19, 2018, 11:31:52 PM »
nice photo roy thanks...john i know ice skaters took some pretty nasty falls but i can remember many a bad accident at the rollar rink as well...it was my life 4 or 5 times a week until without notice it just closed up...very very sad day that was :(

lyn

Edmund Fifield

« Reply #212 on: July 20, 2018, 11:50:37 AM »
Roy might even have been in that photo,one never knows .Used it a lot in the 50s
Make every day a day to remember
Because this ain't no rehearsal
And you ain't coming back

Shirleybates

« Reply #213 on: July 21, 2018, 10:16:26 AM »
re the murder at ymca I lived at the top of lee bank road , my mum and I was on the no 8 bus the night of the murder , the murderer was supposed to be on our bus ,also my dad was was questioned twice because he fitted the description.,scary times.

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #214 on: July 21, 2018, 10:31:53 AM »

hi s/b welcome to the forum sit back and enjoy

is this the murder on the number 8 rout in the 1960s

Thomas Arthur Bates, aged 46,[5] ran a corner newsagents shop at 196 Lee Bank Road (now Lee Bank Middleway) in Birmingham's Edgbaston district.[6] At 6:30 pm on Saturday, 2 June 1962, a 19-year-old Jamaican baker called Oswald Augustus Grey, of Canon Hill Road in that city, carried out a robbery at the shop, during which event he shot Bates in the upper chest.[6] Grey then made his escape by a number 8 (Inner Circle) bus.[6][7]
Bates' mother, who had been in the living area at the back of the shop, heard a large bang and found him collapsed on the floor. Finding him collapsed on the floor, alone in the shop, she initially believed he had suffered a heart attack or stroke.[5] He was reportedly dead before he reached the city's General Hospital,[6] but it was not until he reached there that it was realised that he had been shot.[5] The bullet had passed through his heart, lungs and liver.[5]
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

Scipio

« Reply #215 on: July 21, 2018, 11:07:57 AM »
re the murder at ymca I lived at the top of lee bank road , my mum and I was on the no 8 bus the night of the murder , the murderer was supposed to be on our bus ,also my dad was was questioned twice because he fitted the description.,scary times.

Welcome Shirley , I remember a murder late 50's but it was at the YWCA Wheeley's Road , The poor victim Stephanie Baird , the murderer Patrick Joseph Byrne . I lived in William St just off Broad St , my Brother in law was also questioned by the police as was every other male in the area , there was supposed to have been a man who's clothes were bloodstained reported at the time . Understandable too when you were aware what he had done.
Mark Twain

Spud

« Reply #216 on: July 21, 2018, 01:59:06 PM »
Going on from Scipio's post and the Stephanie Baird  murder it must have been pretty  gruesome and the time there were  lots of stories doing the rounds about the actual details. But shortly afterwards I was working with a man who was an ex butcher and along with many other butchers was interviewed in connection with the murder he was one of the meekest and mildest of blokes you could wish to meet and was quickly eliminated from enquires. I cannot remember did they ever catch the culprit?
The Only Free Cheese is in The Trap

Spud

« Reply #217 on: July 21, 2018, 02:09:01 PM »
Just reading some of the back posts about The Ice Rink I went regularly in the 50s sometimes a couple of times a week even twice on Saturday showing off my Hockey Boots. It was around this time I met the future Mrs Spud she insisted knitting to identical jumpers you know the sort Norwegians would wear. Suppose it was the fashion in those days god in heaven would only know what today's kids would think of them. Point of interest I still have my jumper and the same lady wouldn't dare throw either away.Just thought I'm talking 60 years ago where did the time go ?
The Only Free Cheese is in The Trap

Scipio

« Reply #218 on: July 21, 2018, 06:38:07 PM »
Going on from Scipio's post and the Stephanie Baird  murder it must have been pretty  gruesome and the time there were  lots of stories doing the rounds about the actual details. But shortly afterwards I was working with a man who was an ex butcher and along with many other butchers was interviewed in connection with the murder he was one of the meekest and mildest of blokes you could wish to meet and was quickly eliminated from enquires. I cannot remember did they ever catch the culprit?

Yes Spud they did, Patrick Joseph Byrne was the murderer , please note that while he and his mother were watching the late night news he actually said in front of his mother" what a good job he had done ". He was tried in January 1960 if memory serves
Mark Twain

townie

« Reply #219 on: July 22, 2018, 02:44:41 PM »
You can read more on this story if you type into google or some other search engine ([font=] Patrick Joseph Byrne was the murderer[/font] )
Was it a vision, or a waking dream?

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy