Author Topic: The number 8 bus route  (Read 69987 times)

4orchard

Re: The number 8 bus route
« Reply #220 on: September 03, 2018, 12:08:38 PM »
I remember the no8 we called it the all. Way round  I can't remember how long it took but I suppose it took an hour or more. It cost us two old pennies and we used to catch it from Saltley gste .like others it was a big decision as to which way to go we always. Made for the upstairs at the front of the bus does the no8 still go ? I might use my pass and and have a go to bring back memories

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #221 on: September 03, 2018, 12:27:17 PM »
4 Orchard,

Yes the number 8 route still runs the full route as far as I am aware, but I don't think you would recognise much of it today.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Coastal

« Reply #222 on: September 03, 2018, 02:39:13 PM »
And if it's the same as when I left, going upstairs won't be an option  ;D

Also of course, like the Outer Circle (11A & 11C) the Inner Circle (8A & 8C) has an inner ring and an outer ring (A Anticlockwise and C Clockwise) the easiest way to distinguish the two is, the A or Inner Ring is nearest to the City Centre  O0
Do unto others before they do unto you.

astoness

« Reply #223 on: September 03, 2018, 06:29:13 PM »
slight re routing when it gets to H SAMUELS hunters road...goes up well st crosses over gt hampton st and up vyse st in the jewellery quarter does a right at warstone lane then a left onto icknield st...

lyn

les may

« Reply #224 on: January 15, 2020, 09:18:25 PM »
A regular rider through my Central Grammar School and then Apprenticeship days. I wonder if I could I do the no.8 Inner Circle and no.11 outer ring on my free (Devon) bus pass? Almost worth a special trip to my Vauxhall stamping ground!

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #225 on: January 15, 2020, 09:37:03 PM »
hi les  if its an o.a.p bus pass then yes you can   and  you can use it on the Birmingham trams to
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

Coastal

« Reply #226 on: January 15, 2020, 09:46:27 PM »
The No8 is not the most scenic of routes, it certainly wouldn't be my first choice, the 11 would be a lot more interesting (and I've driven on both in the past)
Do unto others before they do unto you.

Ivor Williams

« Reply #227 on: January 16, 2020, 11:33:23 AM »
To Roy One :
Are you sure about your reply to Les May regarding his Devon bus pass? I wasn't allowed to use my bus pass on the only time I wanted to take a tram ride
I live a few yards over the border of south Birmingham and have a bus pass From Bromsgrove CC.
I have lived in Birmingham all my life except for the twenty years in Bromsgrove. I still love gong into Brum and it was an oversight when I moved into this address.
I first realised this when, at sixty years of age I was sent my Birmingham bus pass. Three weeks later I got a letter from WMPT asking for me to return it after realising the error of issuing it in the first place.
I have been disgruntled over it ever since.

mike mancott

« Reply #228 on: January 16, 2020, 01:56:44 PM »
To Roy One :
Are you sure about your reply to Les May regarding his Devon bus pass? I wasn't allowed to use my bus pass on the only time I wanted to take a tram ride
I live a few yards over the border of south Birmingham and have a bus pass From Bromsgrove CC.
I have lived in Birmingham all my life except for the twenty years in Bromsgrove. I still love gong into Brum and it was an oversight when I moved into this address.
I first realised this when, at sixty years of age I was sent my Birmingham bus pass. Three weeks later I got a letter from WMPT asking for me to return it after realising the error of issuing it in the first place.
I have been disgruntled over it ever since.

Isn`t the age for a free bus pass tied to the retirement age, which has risen?
A pass issued in England should be valid for bus travel anywhere in England - subject to travel time restrictions - I think.

Scipio

« Reply #229 on: January 16, 2020, 07:26:17 PM »
hi les  if its an o.a.p bus pass then yes you can   and  you can use it on the Birmingham trams to

I don't think it works as easy as that residents in Wolverhampton can't use their passes on the tram to Birmingham so I've heard.

Opinions are opinions and may differ I offer mine
If voting made any difference , they wouldn't let us do it.
Mark Twain

mike mancott

« Reply #230 on: January 16, 2020, 07:43:01 PM »
From what I read looking online, The West Midlands Combined Authority, allows OAPs with an issued pass, to use buses and trams in the areas they cover:
Birmingham: Coventry: Dudley: Sandwell: Solihull: Walsall: Wolverhapton.

Though I had always thought that a pass issued by any Council or local authority in England, allowed travel throughout England.

Perhaps this England-wide allowance has altered?

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy