Author Topic: The number 8 bus route  (Read 69956 times)

robx52

Re: The number 8 bus route
« Reply #253 on: January 23, 2020, 02:45:45 PM »
You can use your bus pass on any bus route in England from town to town city to city. You may have to change busses once or several times to complete your journey but its free of charge.

mikejee

« Reply #254 on: January 23, 2020, 10:16:36 PM »
I have once used it to travel from Bromsgrove to Birmingham (though it is a West Berkshire pass)

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #255 on: January 23, 2020, 10:36:03 PM »
hi judithm

just before Christmas    I travelled  from Stourport  to kiddy on the number 3 bus    then from kiddy to Bromsgrove on the number 42 then from Bromsgrove  to Birmingham  im not sure if it was the 144 or the 143  got off at sally oak  using my oap bus pass  iv also used it to go from Weston super mare to Bristol
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

Spud

« Reply #256 on: January 24, 2020, 03:54:42 PM »
Yes we have used ours In Worcester Gloucester Bristol London Bath etc. Cannot use the Pass on the London Underground but OK on Buses. Also useful on Park and Ride Services in most places around the country. And you certainly can use your pass on The Metro Tram Service around Birmingham not sure just how far you can get on The Tram though we have only been as far as The Jewelry Quarter, 
The Only Free Cheese is in The Trap

JT

« Reply #257 on: January 24, 2020, 05:09:45 PM »
To return to the number 8 busroute I used this service between 1960 to 1968 when I got married and moved from Sparkbrook, I was working at Tubes Ltd in Rocky Lane, Aston. Initially I worked on contract on hire from Dowding and Mills, Elecrirical Contractors, I then transferred to fulltime employment at Tubes. While on contract I used to catch the No8 outside the Highgate which was usually waiting to clock at 7-15am and returning at the finish of work at 5-00pm from the stop outside the old billiard hall at Aston Cross almost opposite opposite Jelfs fish and chip shop which I frequented most lunchtimes. There used to be a bus conductor sold you a ticket on the pavement before boarding as there were always about a hundred people from Ansells and HP the HP sauce factory all waiting for the same bus. When it ( or occasionally two of them ) arrived there was usually a free for all which the conductors(s) always lost. When I worked full time at Tubes I was transferred to eight hour shifts so I missed the evening scrum.
The journey to work was always an adventure such as trying to get the bus up the hill at the canal bridge by the BSA, seeing the bikes outside that the night shift had made or the day the Morris Commercial works burned down, the onto the Gate at Saltley and another Bundy Clock, the driver got out for a fag then clocked and on to Nechells Place passing the Metropolitan Camel Carriage and Wagon Company and Nechells Gas Works ( Mr Scargill permitting ). On then up the hill to Nechells Green and into Rocky Lane, down the dip, past the forging dept and the Hen and Chickens ( Johnny Prescotts Local ) the alighting at the main gate at 5-55am.
I always enjoyed travelling on the top deck on the early morning trip as there was always a thick fug of cigarette smoke and no one ever spoke so I would start coughing as we turned into Walford road, by the time we reached Golden Hillock Rd the entire top deck was a cocophony of chesty wheezes and loud phlemmy coughs then when it died down you did it again, worked every time ! What about jumping off the bus, I used to do this when the 13a slowed down for the lights at the bottom of Stoney Lane and the No8 was in, this practice ended one frosty morning when I slid across the pavement straight into the public lavatory wall at the junction with Highgate Rd.
To be continued.

Scipio

« Reply #258 on: January 24, 2020, 07:17:05 PM »
To return to the number 8 busroute I used this service between 1960 to 1968 when I got married and moved from Sparkbrook, I was working at Tubes Ltd in Rocky Lane, Aston. Initially I worked on contract on hire from Dowding and Mills, Elecrirical Contractors, I then transferred to fulltime employment at Tubes. While on contract I used to catch the No8 outside the Highgate which was usually waiting to clock at 7-15am and returning at the finish of work at 5-00pm from the stop outside the old billiard hall at Aston Cross almost opposite opposite Jelfs fish and chip shop which I frequented most lunchtimes. There used to be a bus conductor sold you a ticket on the pavement before boarding as there were always about a hundred people from Ansells and HP the HP sauce factory all waiting for the same bus. When it ( or occasionally two of them ) arrived there was usually a free for all which the conductors(s) always lost. When I worked full time at Tubes I was transferred to eight hour shifts so I missed the evening scrum.
The journey to work was always an adventure such as trying to get the bus up the hill at the canal bridge by the BSA, seeing the bikes outside that the night shift had made or the day the Morris Commercial works burned down, the onto the Gate at Saltley and another Bundy Clock, the driver got out for a fag then clocked and on to Nechells Place passing the Metropolitan Camel Carriage and Wagon Company and Nechells Gas Works ( Mr Scargill permitting ). On then up the hill to Nechells Green and into Rocky Lane, down the dip, past the forging dept and the Hen and Chickens ( Johnny Prescotts Local ) the alighting at the main gate at 5-55am.
I always enjoyed travelling on the top deck on the early morning trip as there was always a thick fug of cigarette smoke and no one ever spoke so I would start coughing as we turned into Walford road, by the time we reached Golden Hillock Rd the entire top deck was a cocophony of chesty wheezes and loud phlemmy coughs then when it died down you did it again, worked every time ! What about jumping off the bus, I used to do this when the 13a slowed down for the lights at the bottom of Stoney Lane and the No8 was in, this practice ended one frosty morning when I slid across the pavement straight into the public lavatory wall at the junction with Highgate Rd.
To be continued.

Well said JT good story
If voting made any difference , they wouldn't let us do it.
Mark Twain

mike mancott

« Reply #259 on: January 24, 2020, 07:20:53 PM »
Looking forward to your continuation JT.
Wonderful memories evoked.

frederick

« Reply #260 on: January 25, 2020, 11:32:28 AM »
J T,
 O0
Failure to Prepare is to Prepare to Fail

Peg Monkey

« Reply #261 on: March 13, 2021, 05:13:36 PM »
OK, you Bus Buffs here's your chance to shine - Your Mission Should decide to Accept is to locate the following Photo:
It's a pic of an Inner Circle 8 Bus turning into Heaton, Hockley from the direction of Hockley Brook, it is understood to be one of Phil's (who has now sadly passed away), probably taken early 50s, it was a popular shot cos I remember a while ago it having had 28,000+ views.
Over to you, crowd solving at its best, right? O0
Peg
It's far better to look back on a rejection rather than a lost opportunity.

Edmund Fifield

« Reply #262 on: March 13, 2021, 07:01:34 PM »
Only used the number 8 in my youth. To the Roller Rink by the Stratford Rd or the other  way to VILLA PARK TO THE SUPPORTERS CLUB.

Make every day a day to remember
Because this ain't no rehearsal
And you ain't coming back

Coastal

« Reply #263 on: March 13, 2021, 07:11:20 PM »
I've been a checker (inspector) and driven a good few trips/journeys over the years (in the past) definitely not what I'd call a favourite, but there are (well there was) much worse.
Do unto others before they do unto you.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy