Author Topic: Nelson's Hotel  (Read 2098 times)

ArizonaMaggy

Nelson's Hotel
« on: October 20, 2017, 03:44:40 AM »
Does anyone have a picture of Nelson's Hotel (formerly the Dog Inn).  I believe it was located in the Bull Ring since I seem to recall seeing a picture of it a long time ago with the statue of Nelson in front.  Thanks

Phil

• Account Closed
Re: Nelson's Hotel
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2017, 12:20:29 PM »
Hi Maggy

Welcome to the forum, sorry about the delay in answering but finding a photo of the Nelson Hotel is proving to be difficult, as the hotel was demolished in the early 60's and replaced by the Fish Market (see image attached photo 1). As you will realise photograph in the 1860's was in it's infancy and good photos of that period are a rarity, but if you say you have seen one then there must be one around somewhere, so I will continue looking.

There is just one thing I have at the back of my mind I seem to remember seeing a photo where the hotel that became Oswald Baileys on the corner of Moot Street on the Bull Ring had been renamed the Nelson Hotel though I can't seem to find that photo either, but if my memory is right could it have been that one you saw?

Or could it have been this drawing of a coach outside Nelson House that you were referring to (photo 1), as from 1860 it was more likely to be a drawing than a photo.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

mikejee

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2017, 02:27:46 PM »
Again, this is a drawing, from a trade card, but could it be this?

ArizonaMaggy

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2017, 09:53:30 PM »
Hello Phil and mikejee:  Thank you v much for searching and coming up with 3 pix in response to my ask for Nelson's Hotel.   These are super great.   I'm particularly interested in #2 (the etching/drawing) and #3 (the trade card).   Big questions:  Do you happen to know how I could get images of them, and are they copyrighted? Thanks again.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2017, 11:07:28 AM »
Hi Maggy

I have no idea of the copyright status on the drawing but you should be able to glean some further information here,

http://mappingbirmingham.blogspot.co.uk/2012/10/pratchetts-bull-ring.html

As for the trade card, as it was only an advertisement I would hardly think it was copyrighted, but once again you might glean further information here,

https://www.gracesguide.co.uk/File:Im1838OsbGuide-Nelson.jpg
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy