Author Topic: Aston Hippodrome  (Read 2400 times)

Scipio

Aston Hippodrome
« on: October 21, 2017, 07:24:56 PM »

Has anyone got any tales about the old Aston Hippodrome , I only have one, I went to some sort of circus/variety show in the 50's as a
lad with my Mother. Only memory I have of the show to this day is the trapeze act, trapeze acts comprise flyers and catchers. That dreaded night I was there with my mother(RIP), the catcher didn't and the flyer dropped to the stage, we immediately left the Hippodrome my mother was beside herself , I was dumbfounded as to how he fell , I was full of questions .Much to my mothers dismay.
If voting made any difference , they wouldn't let us do it.
Mark Twain

astoness

Re: Aston Hippodrome
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2017, 09:46:47 PM »
bet that was scary...ive no memories myself dont think i ever went there but ive plenty of photos of the hip which i would think have already been posted on here somewhere

lyn

Scipio

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2017, 09:57:40 PM »

bet that was scary...ive no memories myself dont think i ever went there but ive plenty of photos of the hip which i would think have already been posted on here somewhere

lyn

Lyn after it was refurbed me and my youngest son used to go into the half that was a snooker hall the side nearest The Elbow Room ,
the other side was the bingo hall steered clear of that side
Mark Twain

astoness

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2017, 10:06:30 PM »
john i never went to the elbow room either...such a shame the hip went..what has replaced it is nothing to write home about.. >:( can you remember the horses trough

lyn

Scipio

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2017, 10:14:01 PM »

john i never went to the elbow room either...such a shame the hip went..what has replaced it is nothing to write home about.. >:( can you remember the horses trough

lyn

Yes Lyn I do , I never got into the elbow in the 60's we approached it one Saturday night but it was full so we never got in. Yes I can guess about the replacement wasn't the bingo side replaced by drum world or somesuch thing ?
Mark Twain

astoness

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2017, 10:19:58 PM »
yes i think it used to be called the drum...this is todays view..not much architecture in that little lot...sorry apart from the bartons arms of course O0

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.4987924,-1.8952173,3a,75y,49.34h,92.11t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sKs9DueocwSWLipk0qRBQTg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Scipio

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2017, 10:27:33 PM »

yes i think it used to be called the drum...this is todays view..not much architecture in that little lot...sorry apart from the bartons arms of course O0

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.4987924,-1.8952173,3a,75y,49.34h,92.11t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sKs9DueocwSWLipk0qRBQTg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Alas Lynn I left the area in 1996 after 20 great years in Selston Rd just up from The Shareholders Arms
Mark Twain

astoness

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2017, 10:34:58 PM »
john i take it you dont mean the original shareholders...??

lyn

Scipio

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2017, 10:42:14 PM »

john i take it you dont mean the original shareholders...??

lyn

The one that was there till the early 90's when I moved there in 76 Ken Turner was the gaffer then after that Ron Dowty from
The Village Maid Finch Road ran it. It then closed for a time and Pat Brennan refurbed it as it ended up a Bank's pub, Pat ended up buying and doing up The Old Crown in Digbeth everything he touched turned to money
Mark Twain

astoness

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2017, 10:48:33 PM »
thought it would be that one...carol a friend of mine used to work there...rose who ran the village maid (now demolished) moved to the bull on loveday st been there about 22 years now...i didnt know that pat brennan had the shareholders though ive read a lot about him saving the old crown in fact somewhere ive got an old newspaper article about that..

Scipio

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2017, 11:01:13 PM »

thought it would be that one...carol a friend of mine used to work there...rose who ran the village maid (now demolished) moved to the bull on loveday st been there about 22 years now...i didnt know that pat brennan had the shareholders though ive read a lot about him saving the old crown in fact somewhere ive got an old newspaper article about that..

Lyn his family brothers and sisters owned about 20 odd pubs , I first got to know him when he managed The Shakespeare Lionel St
John and Tina McGoughran owned The George in Summer Lane his brother Sean owned The Brown Lion in The Jewellry Qtr
another two sisters in partnership owned two pubs in Telford , Ron Dowty(Shareholders Arms) after me telling him a tale about Pat said there was a saying in the trade that if Brennan wouldn't touch it , it wasn't worth touching >Pat told me outside the shareholders that after his fallout with M&B he went to Bank's and they wouldn't stop throwing money at him , he never ran th shareholders he put a manager in there he owned the Aston hotel as well . I celebrated my 25th anniversary there
Mark Twain

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy