Author Topic: trams trains and buses  (Read 9902 times)

roy one

• Global Moderator
Re: trams trains and buses
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2017, 10:05:34 PM »

now we move on to the trolleybus   did you ever go on one

each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

Potomac

« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2017, 10:44:54 PM »
A few times I rode a trolley bus purely  for a ride as the Coventry Road, where they ran, was not my way to and from home.  I rode on one the last day off their operation in 1951.  The last ones to the Rover works were on Friday 29th, June and the Coventry Road services ended the next day.  A sad day for many,  The silent servants, as they were known, were only just over 80 vehicles in a bis fleet of over 1500, so they were going to become a liability in  the near future.
The original BCT trolleybuses ran to  Nechells on route 7 but were taken off service, as a wartime expediency in 1940 never to return into service.  The Coventry Road trolleybuses replaced trams in 1934 the new fleet of 50 being supplemented in 1937 and 1940 by more.  The highest fleet number carried by a trolley bus was 90. FOK 90.  Trolley bus routes were 56 and 57 to Hay Mills and 92 - 99 (Yardley, City boundary and Lode Lane).  Some services commenced in Station Street others in Albert Street.
After cessation of the trolley buses Midland Read took over the Lode Lane ones.  It was in Midland Red territory but as Midland Red were unable to take on the very frequent service required during the war to the Rover works the corporation received special dispensation from the Government to construct the overhead needed and operate the services. Tram stop plates were rectangular, buses has circular plates and trolley buses had a six sided plate.
The trolley bus in the picture here is No, 78 COX 78 built in 1937.  It still carries the pre-war style of fleet numbering.  The photo shows the trolleybus at Hay Mills heading for the city.  Placards for Eatonways, a coach operator can be seen on the opposite side of t he road.
best wishes,  Alan

Edmund Fifield

« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2017, 10:20:51 AM »
Roy,lived in Kitts Green early 50s used to catch bus into city and then the tram out to the Lickeys,it used to be great sitting upstairs on the open fronted tram bombing down the centre of the dual carriage way past Selly Oak towards the Austin works,when I was younger in the 40s all the family went for the day out there,the queues to get the trams back home at night were horrendous,Went into a junk shop where I live found a little red album it's got about 30 photos of B,ham,Liverpool,Glasgow,and even Egypt trams,if you would like them,but don't know how to get them to you
Make every day a day to remember
Because this ain't no rehearsal
And you ain't coming back

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2017, 01:08:32 PM »
you can always post them on line to the forum then we all can see them  thanks for the offer that's kind of you roy

Edmund Fifield

« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2017, 01:59:18 PM »
Roy can't post online I've only got a I pad no computer,no can do ,let me know how else Edmund
Make every day a day to remember
Because this ain't no rehearsal
And you ain't coming back

frederick

« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2017, 04:45:44 PM »
I have a DVD of most of the trams and buses it is called 100 years of British buses & trolley buses.

Is there any way I could put them on the forum everyone would enjoy them.
Failure to Prepare is to Prepare to Fail

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2017, 04:50:39 PM »

hi fred is this the one turn your sound up

https://youtu.be/VfF9Xi-Tx8w

frederick

« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2017, 05:37:02 PM »
Roy,
That's the one     O0    When you see all those horses it was as bad as all the cars today on our roads.
Failure to Prepare is to Prepare to Fail

Potomac

« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2017, 06:31:34 PM »
I have seen the that before.  A lot of the north of England, London and the south - even Paris.  I do believe I saw Charlie Chaplin crossing the road.  There was brief glimpse of Birmingham - a Midland Red single decker  and then another plus a BCT  bus followed by Midland Red double decker near the Town Hall.
The roads, in towns and cities, have always been smelly, nowadays it is just a different stink!.
best wishes,  Alan

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2017, 06:47:58 PM »

now we have a look at the trams to and from the lickyhills or better known has brum day out

https://youtu.be/pfDlCycGQcE

Potomac

« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2017, 08:00:33 PM »
That video of the 71 and 72 tracks (Rubery and Rednal respectively) does confirm much of what I wrote a few posts ago.  The turning circle, referred to as a loop in the commentary, was briefly shown.  Those sections of the reserved track were where the tram picked up good speeds.
best wishes,  Alan

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy