Author Topic: trams trains and buses  (Read 9906 times)

roy one

• Global Moderator
trams trains and buses
« on: October 22, 2017, 12:52:43 PM »

I'm sure most of us who come from brum know our old trams and there are one or two who have been on this trams and bus rout so this topic is all about the way that we got about in our younger days

this tram would take you to the lickys for a day out so what do you remember of the old bus old tram and old trains  did you drive them did you work on them  and any photos you may have post them hear with the story
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

Edmund Fifield

Re: trams trains and buses
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2017, 02:03:40 PM »
Roy,always tried to get the ones with the open fronts to the Lickeys
Make every day a day to remember
Because this ain't no rehearsal
And you ain't coming back

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2017, 02:23:00 PM »

Roy,always tried to get the ones with the open fronts to the Lickeys

tell us about it    like what year   who made it or any thing about it  that you can remember O0

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2017, 02:36:37 PM »
also looking for photos of the tram terminus at short heath

Jacko

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2017, 02:55:30 PM »
Short Heath Terminus

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2017, 03:07:03 PM »
jaco nice one that's the kind of thing    now have we got one for alumrock it can be tram bus but must be up till 1960s

Potomac

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2017, 03:07:26 PM »
The 70 Rednal route tram, car number 801, built in 1932, is seen here in Northfield on the last day on the Bristol Road routes.
The Rednal route was a way when, prior to greater car ownership, that citizens of the city and surrounding places could have a great Bank Holiday day out on the Lickey Hills.  Demand for transport was very high on these occasions and the tramways department got extra tramcars from other parts of the city to fulfil the huge demand.  It was one these sort of occasions that the open balconied cars, normally on other routes, could be seen and ridden upon.  Demand was such that Inspectors had extra work controlling the departure of the trams from Navigation Street and more so at Rednal.  At Rednal there was, unusually, a large turning circle for trams.  This was a great advantage and was why it was built in expediting the trams back towards the city.  A relic of this trackwork still exists, I believe, at Rednal.
I believe the last tram back to town was 10 pm.
best wishes,  Alan

Potomac

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2017, 03:25:28 PM »
The Short Heath 78 service, along with the 2 Erdington and 79 Pype Hayes (and their short workings) were the last tram routes operated by Birmingham Corporation the final day, which I had the fortune to attend, was on Saturday, 4th. July 1953.  The last car credited with the closure was 616 which was built with a batch of other cars in 1920/1.
Noticeable in the photos is the large wooden passenger shelter - found at many tram terminii in Birmingham and part of the Bundy clock is apparent.  Bundy clocks were used by drivers - tram and bus in an attempt at timekeeping - and was achieved by turning a key which stamped a personal key number on a recording mechanism in the clock.  A favourite party piece of a good many youngsters was to ask the driver to stamp their arm with his key.  This imprinted an ink number on you.  It would be hoped that a careful washing of hands and arms would not erase this key number -  that is if someone did not spot it and ordered a more thorough arm washing!    :o
best wishes,  Alan

Spud

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2017, 03:32:39 PM »
I remember going to the Lickeys on the top deck Tram with a white mouse in my pocket when we reached the old Austin Factory it escaped. It was hilarious trying to catch it . I did manage to re capture it when we reached the Lickeys.
The Only Free Cheese is in The Trap

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2017, 03:38:18 PM »

hi Potomac
                     you know your stuff  that's the kind of thing we need to know a photo is a photo but if you have got the history to go with that brings it alive   well-done thanks 

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2017, 03:43:16 PM »

hi jacko nice photo  iv added a bit of colour to your shortheath tram

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy