Author Topic: trams trains and buses  (Read 9943 times)

roy one

• Global Moderator
Re: trams trains and buses
« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2017, 08:02:57 PM »

now we go on to this odd bus iv been on this one a few times in the past from northfield  to kingsheath

each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

Scipio

« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2017, 09:16:46 PM »

I'm sure most of us who come from brum know our old trams and there are one or two who have been on this trams and bus rout so this topic is all about the way that we got about in our younger days

this tram would take you to the lickys for a day out so what do you remember of the old bus old tram and old trains  did you drive them did you work on them  and any photos you may have post them hear with the story

Roy I'm sure I went to The Lickeys on the tram , think I got on In Margaret St ,just off Congreve St in the city centre . I'm sure that was
in mid 50's . The tram lines where in that street for ages after the trams stopped
If voting made any difference , they wouldn't let us do it.
Mark Twain

astoness

« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2017, 09:20:21 PM »
i never got to go on a tram in brum :( ...think they finished in 53

lyn

Jacko

« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2017, 09:54:19 PM »
Here's a couple of trolley bus photo's, J

Potomac

« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2017, 09:55:58 PM »
That single deck bus JOJ 245 (2245) has been preserved Roy by a Group based in Acocks Green. Entering service in 1950 and withdrawn in 1969.  They were Leyland PS2 with the higher powered engines also in BCT's other Leynad buses and their bodies, of a very high standard, were built by  Weyman, Addlestone, Surrey.  Similar bus 2255 is also preserved and one of these, for sure was used, for a private school (or institution) in Torquay for a few years after BCT sold it to the scrap dealers, who were usually W. Bird & Sons of Stratford-upon-Avon.  I often saw it in my travels and I believe it was the one in the photo.
The reason the 30 buses of this type (JOJ 231 - JOJ 260) were bought by BCT in 1950 was due to the low railway bridges in Bournville and Northfield encountered on route 27.
An interesting fact is that in their early years, on the quieter week-ends, some were hired to Midland Red who. it appears, were short of coaches on the shorter holiday excursions to Blackpool and Weston-Super-Mare.  So they got around a bit!
best wishes,  Alan

Jacko

« Reply #27 on: October 23, 2017, 09:56:42 PM »
Couple more, J.

Potomac

« Reply #28 on: October 23, 2017, 10:04:08 PM »
Scipio, the picture you posted was the opening picture posted by Roy when he started this thread.   I think it is reply 7 that I gave some detail about the location and the tram.
As for tram rides to the Lickeys they commenced in Station Street.  Margaret Street was the dropping of point for the Dudley Road buses.  I doubt you caught a tram there as they ceased in 1939.   ;)   The boarding point was in Edmund Street, where that small section of track is in the paved area.
best wishes,  Alan

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: October 23, 2017, 10:05:12 PM »

hi Scipio
                  now if I remember right the licky tram stated in navigation street  then come out on to Bristol street then on to Bristol  road I always got the tram at belgrave road by the Bristol cinema never went in to town there was a church by the tram stop I am going back to 1950   the best bit of the trip was when you come out of northfield going to longbridg down the hill past the police station the tram got a hop on swinging from side to side us kids loved it  O0

Scipio

« Reply #30 on: October 23, 2017, 10:10:06 PM »

Scipio, the picture you posted was the opening picture posted by Roy when he started this thread.   I think it is reply 7 that I gave some detail about the location and the tram.
As for tram rides to the Lickeys they commenced in Station Street.  Margaret Street was the dropping of point for the Dudley Road buses.  I doubt you caught a tram there as they ceased in 1939.   ;)   The boarding point was in Edmund Street, where that small section of track is in the paved area.

I'm obviously wrong then
If voting made any difference , they wouldn't let us do it.
Mark Twain

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #31 on: October 23, 2017, 10:22:22 PM »
if you go to the lickys there is still a bit of tram track left in the road by cofton park gates

Potomac

« Reply #32 on: October 23, 2017, 10:25:23 PM »
My post 13, yesterday gives details about trolleybuses.  TB 11 was the one of the original 12 odered by the corporation for the Nechells route 7.  Its registration was OK 4833.
TB 67 (COX 67) en route to City Boundary/Coventry Road.  Details of this bus are as post 13.
TB 47 (OC 1147) built in 19934 and sold for scrap 1951.  It is heading back to Albert Street.  The 50 trolleybuses on the 1934 order.
TB 83 (FOK 83) was amongst the last twelve trolleybuses bought by BCT in 1940.  It also went for scrap on cessation of trolleybus operation in 1951.
best wishes,  Alan

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy