Author Topic: trams trains and buses  (Read 9904 times)

Potomac

Re: trams trains and buses
« Reply #33 on: October 23, 2017, 10:31:06 PM »
Scipio,

Not totally wrong maybe.  I overlooked the 32 Lodge Road and tram services which continued through WW2 finally succumbing to bus route 96 in 1947.  The drop off point and loading was as I described earlier.
Incidentally there was also a 33 tram route to Ladywood which commenced in Navigation Street.  That also became bus route 95 in 1947.  I do remember those routes as I had an uncle, who I visited with my father, who lived somewhere along the Lodge Road route.
best wishes,  Alan

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #34 on: October 23, 2017, 10:31:15 PM »
the last bit of track at the lickys
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

Scipio

« Reply #35 on: October 24, 2017, 08:57:03 PM »

Scipio, the picture you posted was the opening picture posted by Roy when he started this thread.   I think it is reply 7 that I gave some detail about the location and the tram.
As for tram rides to the Lickeys they commenced in Station Street.  Margaret Street was the dropping of point for the Dudley Road buses.  I doubt you caught a tram there as they ceased in 1939.   ;)   The boarding point was in Edmund Street, where that small section of track is in the paved area.

I sent a post not a picture , not me squire, I've never posted a pic on here since I've been a member
If voting made any difference , they wouldn't let us do it.
Mark Twain

Potomac

« Reply #36 on: October 24, 2017, 10:41:16 PM »
Apologies Scipio,  I notice you quoted the pic by Roy not posted it. 
best wishes,  Alan

Edmund Fifield

« Reply #37 on: October 24, 2017, 11:06:18 PM »
What about the trolleys to West Brom
Make every day a day to remember
Because this ain't no rehearsal
And you ain't coming back

Potomac

« Reply #38 on: October 24, 2017, 11:44:37 PM »
Trolley buses did not operate in or by West Bromwich.  Trams ran there from the beginning of the 20th, century.  Handsworth was not part of Birmingham at that time.  South Staffordshire Tramways, which ran in those areas were taken over by Birmingham in 1924.  In 1939 the trams routes 73/74/75/77 to Dudley and places en route via West Bromwich were abandoned.  Buses took over the services using the same route numbers.  These services started from in front of the former GWR Snow Hill station.  The buses were a joint effort between Birmingham and West Bromwich, that how it was possible to see West Brom buses in Birmingham in their distinctive bream and two colour blue livery.  West Bromwich had hoped that trolleybuses would take the place of the trams but Birmingham had other ideas.  I believe the reason for West Bromwich favouring trolleybuses was due to the fact that their other municipal neighbours Walsall and Wolverhampton both had trolleybus fleets.
best wishes,  Alan

Ian Dalziel

« Reply #39 on: October 25, 2017, 05:40:15 PM »
I believe that Walsall ran trollybuses until 1970 and were almost the last Authority in the UK to dispense with them.
Let's make the best out of a bad situation.

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #40 on: October 25, 2017, 06:42:54 PM »
the last one

Potomac

« Reply #41 on: October 25, 2017, 06:44:53 PM »
Yes 1970, but final trolleybus operations were in Bradford, West Yorkshire in 1972.
The last trolleybus built for UK service was for Bournemouth.
The nail in the coffin for Walsall was the formation of WMPTE.
Two Walsall  trolleybuses, 342 NDH 959 which is awaiting restoration and  872 XDH 72 which is the one in the photo posted by roy one and are at the Trolley Bus Museum, Sandtoft  which is between Doncaster and Scunthorpe.  One (862)  also exists at the Black Country Museum.
Also at Dudley is a Wolverhampton trolleybus 433.
best wishes,  Alan

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #42 on: October 25, 2017, 06:54:00 PM »

we now move away from the midlands   and we go south  we find the routmaster bus  this kept London on the move for a long time  you could hop on and hop off  just like the old Birmingham joj hov

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #43 on: October 25, 2017, 07:19:18 PM »
have we come forward or backwards  in the 1940 trams got us about in Birmingham then they did away with the trams and replaced them with a bus  now we have a new kind of tram in Birmingham  I wonder if the day will come when this new kind of tram will go to the lickys

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy