Author Topic: trams trains and buses  (Read 9911 times)

Scipio

Re: trams trains and buses
« Reply #44 on: October 25, 2017, 07:20:15 PM »

Scipio,

Not totally wrong maybe.  I overlooked the 32 Lodge Road and tram services which continued through WW2 finally succumbing to bus route 96 in 1947.  The drop off point and loading was as I described earlier.
Incidentally there was also a 33 tram route to Ladywood which commenced in Navigation Street.  That also became bus route 95 in 1947.  I do remember those routes as I had an uncle, who I visited with my father, who lived somewhere along the Lodge Road route.

I absolve thee my son
If voting made any difference , they wouldn't let us do it.
Mark Twain

Edmund Fifield

« Reply #45 on: October 25, 2017, 07:49:18 PM »
My best mate bobs dad was a tram driver and his mother a conductress on the trams,they were at Washwood Heath depot but retired when the buses came in
Make every day a day to remember
Because this ain't no rehearsal
And you ain't coming back

townie

« Reply #46 on: October 28, 2017, 12:43:16 PM »

A trip down memory lane to the end.

Was it a vision, or a waking dream?

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #47 on: October 29, 2017, 09:04:45 AM »

for all you tram buffs       this tram where is it going and where is it from

each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

Potomac

« Reply #48 on: October 29, 2017, 02:23:02 PM »
Car 782 is at the route 10 Washwood heath terminus awaiting return to Martineau Street. Behind the photographer is the Beaufort Cinema and I am sure the famous Fox and Goose was the other side of the road,  just out of sight to the front of the tram.
The tram was built in 1928 and scrapped in 1952.  They were fitted with bow collectors but many were refitted with a pole to spend their last period of operation on the Bristol Road services.
This route was converted to bus operation, route 56, in 1950.
best wishes,  Alan

Ian Dalziel

« Reply #49 on: October 29, 2017, 02:52:05 PM »
Hi Potomac, were the bow collectors better than the poles because they were less likely to become detached from the wire? What are the pros and cons?
Let's make the best out of a bad situation.

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #50 on: October 29, 2017, 03:14:45 PM »
I wonder what was the voltage of the trams? and did they use the same motors in the trolley buses

Potomac

« Reply #51 on: October 29, 2017, 09:01:06 PM »
From memory I believe the voltage as being 550V DC and as trolleybuses shared the overhead on a few occasions -using a skate on the tram track as return -  I guess it was the same.  The BCT had their own electricity generating facilities until 1947 when the MEB was formed.
As far as motors were concerned it appears that the older - inherited from City of Birmingham Tramways (a private company) - cars has 25HP and 35Hp motors.  Later some were upgraded to 40HP and newer cars had 40 HP with uprates to 63 HP motors.  A few had 70HP motors.  Motors were usually by Dick Kerr, Brush and GEC.
The early trolleybuses haD 35 and 45HP motors, the next batch 65HP and the newer buses (1937/40) had 80HP motors. The post 1934 fleets had GEC motors, earlier buses and demonstrators BTH and English Electric ones.
Regarding the Fischer bow collectors, yes they did not suffer from many de-wirings as did the pole fitted cars. However they were principally fitted, in 1926, to the cars on the 32 Lodge Road, affectionately known as 'the big dipper', after an accident and the great number of curves.  The 8 Alum Rock and 10 Washwood Heath routes also got cars, built new in 1928, fitted with the bow collectors.  It was, as far as I know, due to there being a few wiring junctions on the routes. The principal disadvantage was, it seems, that lubrication was needed for successful use and failing that there became excessive wear on the overhead.  For this reason bow collectors were never used across the rest of the system.  Trams with poles were used, but only at peak times due to these junctions being designed for bow collection.
best wishes,  Alan

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #52 on: October 29, 2017, 09:21:32 PM »

thanks Potomac
                           now any one who reads this topic in time to come will have the full history of the trams and buses and the working of them with out having to go round looking for the facts its all hear thanks

Ian Dalziel

« Reply #53 on: October 29, 2017, 09:42:13 PM »
Thanks Potomac, a mine of information.    O0
Let's make the best out of a bad situation.

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #54 on: October 29, 2017, 09:45:32 PM »

now I think its time to give midlandred a thread  has far has I know it was made up of midred west midred north midred south it had a number of garages around the midlands  has kids we called the posh bus and it was one of the few bus company's that made its own buses I believe it was a place called Carlisleworks not to far from five ways but sadly it got broke up and sold off

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy