Author Topic: Briely's Super Market  (Read 1359 times)

countrylad

Briely's Super Market
« on: October 27, 2017, 07:07:00 PM »
Does anyone remember Briely's Super Market? I think it was on Coventry Rd, Small Heath area. It opened about 1967. It was almost a for runner of The Pound Shop, loads of cheap stuff, a lot of rubbish. But great if you needed pencils for school or a screw driver that rounded off when you used it or a spanner that bent!

robx52

Re: Briely's Super Market
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2017, 07:19:11 PM »
We got our first ironing board from there in 1972. Bought our second from the CO-OP 3 weeks later.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2017, 07:31:56 PM »
If I remember correctly I was in there opening day or the day after as I had a mate who had a flat / bedsit on Tennyson Road and we walked down there to see of his staple diet (tinned beans) were any cheaper there.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

ray wilson

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2017, 04:58:57 PM »
Hi all, I was only thinking about Brierleys the other day driving past it.The story behind this enterprize is that Fred Brierley had a similar outlet in Peterborough selling bankrupt stock which he bought up cheaply and sold it on.An expansion of his business into Birmingham resulted in the Coventry Rd premises.All went well until he got caught selling dodgy goods and being on the receiving end of stolen back of a lorry sort of stuff and both his shops were closed and he reportedly did the proverbial runner.......Ray.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy