Author Topic: British Cars  (Read 77884 times)

Phil

• Account Closed
Re: British Cars
« Reply #121 on: November 08, 2017, 03:59:55 PM »
One of my first cars was a triumph herald and to be honest I thought it was rubbish, but it was cheap and sporty looking at the time so as a teenager what more could you want. Later I had a Triumph 2000TC and I thought this was a little better.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Edmund Fifield

« Reply #122 on: November 08, 2017, 04:20:24 PM »
My mate bought a Triumph Herald convertible ,it had got a Shorock Supercharger on it .Thefirst time he took me for a ride in it we went past Elmdon Airport down the dual carrageway towards Coventry it touched 100 MPH,The cigarette ash was flying everywhere out of the ashtray frightened me to death
Make every day a day to remember
Because this ain't no rehearsal
And you ain't coming back

Ian Dalziel

« Reply #123 on: November 08, 2017, 04:30:15 PM »
I considered fitting a Shorock Supercharger but was dissuaded because I was told that they used a lot of oil. Also, It would probably blow the engine up.

I think the Vitesse was a Herald with with a 2000TC engine in it. I nearly bought one after I wrote my Herald off but instead, I bought a 1958 Morgan fitted with an Anglia 3 speed sidevalve engine.
Bad decision which I've always regretted.
Let's make the best out of a bad situation.

frederick

« Reply #124 on: November 08, 2017, 04:33:41 PM »
Ian D,
A man I worked with had a Herald and drove to Yugoslavia in it, his name was Jack Hubble does that name ring any bells.
Failure to Prepare is to Prepare to Fail

Ian Dalziel

« Reply #125 on: November 08, 2017, 04:38:02 PM »
Ian D,
A man I worked with had a Herald and drove to Yugoslavia in it, his name was Jack Hubble does that name ring any bells.

Sorry Frederick, No it doesn't, but I wouldn't have thought that many Heralds were driven as far as that.

countrylad

« Reply #126 on: November 08, 2017, 05:47:22 PM »
I had a couple of Triumph Spitfires, and Mk3 and a Mk4. I bought the Mk3 in the summer of 76. Cost £100 with a hard top. same colour as the one in the picture.  I bought it off a bloke near Colebrook Road. I can just see him now, 70's curly perm, open neck shirt and a big gold Belcher chain around his neck, stinking of Brute aftershave.

Had great fun in this car. I left the hard top off all that summer (it had no canvas roof with the car). I had to climb in and out of it, as the doors had dropped so much, if you opened than, you couldn't close them. Happy days  :D
[size=78%]
[/size]
[size=78%]    [/size][size=78%]

countrylad

« Reply #127 on: November 08, 2017, 05:48:50 PM »
I had a couple of Triumph Spitfires, and Mk3 and a Mk4. I bought the Mk3 in the summer of 76. Cost £100 with a hard top. same colour as the one in the picture.  I bought it off a bloke near Colebrook Road. I can just see him now, 70's curly perm, open neck shirt and a big gold Belcher chain around his neck, stinking of Brute aftershave.

Had great fun in this car. I left the hard top off all that summer (it had no canvas roof with the car). I had to climb in and out of it, as the doors had dropped so much, if you opened than, you couldn't close them. Happy days  :D
[size=78%]
[/size]
[size=78%]    [/size][size=78%]
Sorry no picture, anyway it was Harvest gold in colour  ;D

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #128 on: November 08, 2017, 05:55:45 PM »
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #129 on: November 08, 2017, 06:05:43 PM »

I could not find one in gold so I made my own gold its not spot on but its the best I could do
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

Ian Dalziel

« Reply #130 on: November 08, 2017, 06:23:37 PM »
When the Morgan packed up, we bought a Spitfire Mk 3 (like the one in the photo - but no wire wheels) and we loved it. When the first child came, we could wedge the carrycot in the gap behind the seats but regrettably forced to sell it when the second child was due.

However, when I finally got the Morgan mobile again, it was the only car I've ever sold for a profit.

countrylad

« Reply #131 on: November 08, 2017, 07:38:22 PM »

I could not find one in gold so I made my own gold its not spot on but its the best I could do
Thanks Roy, great picture. Great little cars easy to fix when they went wrong

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy