Author Topic: British Cars  (Read 77632 times)

frederick

Re: British Cars
« Reply #737 on: January 04, 2018, 11:29:25 AM »
All new car models are first made from a flat sheet of steel or aluminium. From the chasse upto the roof I used to do that for a living when I worked at Fisher & Ludlow making prototypes.
Failure to Prepare is to Prepare to Fail

ironside

« Reply #738 on: January 04, 2018, 03:04:37 PM »
Cyclops headlight and double "A"s the bodies must have been made at Fisher and Ludlow. They were made for the American market but were unsuccessful, same with the A40 Sports ; these bodies were made by Jensen and built on A40 parts.

Ian Dalziel

« Reply #739 on: January 04, 2018, 03:15:06 PM »
When I used to cycle past Fisher Ludlow in 1958 (hard to believe that 60 years have flown by) to my first job at Dunlop, I remember the Austin Nash Metropolitan bodies on the transporters ready to be taken to have the engines fitted.
Let's make the best out of a bad situation.

Edmund Fifield

« Reply #740 on: January 04, 2018, 04:34:36 PM »
Ian might have nearly run you over a few times on the Chester Rd when you were cycling a along,I'd just past my test about then,you were very Lucky
Make every day a day to remember
Because this ain't no rehearsal
And you ain't coming back

Ian Dalziel

« Reply #741 on: January 04, 2018, 04:54:47 PM »
Well I'm still riding a bike so you still have a chance.    :D

GardenGerald

« Reply #742 on: January 04, 2018, 04:58:44 PM »
Hello Ian
Time Flies by.
Did you meet at Dunlops a Joe Dixon or a Dr Roger Williams.
Joe Dixons daughter was lead dancer with the Tiller Girls. I knew the son Bruce. A really nice family.
Roger Williams worked in the road surface department where the were working on making quiet
road surfaces for Motor Ways.
Gerald

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #743 on: January 04, 2018, 05:19:13 PM »
    name this and the year it was made
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

Ian Dalziel

« Reply #744 on: January 04, 2018, 05:35:15 PM »
Hello Ian
Time Flies by.
Did you meet at Dunlops a Joe Dixon or a Dr Roger Williams.
Joe Dixons daughter was lead dancer with the Tiller Girls. I knew the son Bruce. A really nice family.
Roger Williams worked in the road surface department where the were working on making quiet
road surfaces for Motor Ways.
Gerald

Hi Gerald, As a young trainee, I initially worked in the Technical Block in the Tyre Performance Department maintaining charts of tyre failures from the many overseas factories so we could intervene and stop production in the early stages if something was going wrong. Later, I moved to Technical Service where we cut up and examined all types of tyres to investigate faults.

In those days, Fort Dunlop was a huge place and I doubt whether anyone knew more than 5% of the employees.

ironside

« Reply #745 on: January 04, 2018, 07:35:41 PM »
1921 Ford Model T Centre door sedan

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #746 on: January 04, 2018, 07:37:47 PM »

1921 Ford Model T Centre door sedan

Ford Motors had been selling in Britain since 1903, imported from America. By the end of the 20th century’s first decade the Ford UK franchise-holder on [/color][/font][/size]
London
 ’s Shaftesbury Avenue was selling several hundred cars a year, prompting Henry Ford’s decision to build his first factory outside the USA

The chosen site suitably enough was a disused coachworks located on the world’s first industrial estate, Trafford Park
Manchester
 . This was chosen partly because the Manchester Ship Canal which had opened in
1894[
 made shipping parts there easy – the plant initially was an assembly works for American-made components.

On October 23 1911 the first Ford car made in Britain was produced on the site, a Model T (a vehicle which had made its world debut at Olympia in
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

ironside

« Reply #747 on: January 04, 2018, 08:26:45 PM »
Roy was this the first car to sell 1 million? It's said that the queue for jobs in Manchester was three miles long, and it wasn't a depressed period.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy