Author Topic: British Cars  (Read 77613 times)

jamesm

British Cars
« on: October 28, 2017, 08:09:18 AM »
I came across this image and was wondering how many different makes of car were recognisable to forum members. I would also be interested to know where this car park was located. As it's already been posted on the internet (I found it on Pininterest) I'm sure there's someone out there who knows.

Spud

Re: British Cars
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2017, 10:34:47 AM »
I would guess at the Old Big Top Site looking cross from New Street
The Only Free Cheese is in The Trap

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2017, 11:18:54 AM »
I haven't got a clue about the cars, but I suppose there are Austin's Rover's, Ford's, Standard's Vauxhalls, and Morris's there. The car park is definitely the Big Top site on the corner of New Street & High Street. The YMCA information booth is in the foreground ans over the back of the car park you can see Union Passage with the remains of the Central Arcade. The photo was probably taken from the roof of either the newly reduced in height Stevens Bar or the Milk Bar at the junction of High Street (Bull Ring) and New Street, where the Rotunda stands today.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

jamesm

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2017, 11:33:27 AM »
Thanks Spud and Phil. Any ideas as to what year this was taken?

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2017, 11:56:16 AM »
Thanks Spud and Phil. Any ideas as to what year this was taken?

The copy of the photo I have says 1950, but I have learnt to accept dates given with aged photos as guides rather than  the actual date, but 1950 looks close enough to me.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

jamesm

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2017, 12:11:57 PM »
Thanks again Phil, I was thinking early 50s myself.

ironside

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2017, 11:49:20 AM »
The white one on the third row is a round back Standard Vanguard first produced in 1947 the next to the right could be a Lanchester the next is a Humber Hawk first produced in 1948. So the photograph can't be earlier.

ironside

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2017, 01:01:03 PM »

Also on front row left to right Ford Popular or Anglia / Jaguar/ Austin Devon. 2nd on 2nd row a Rover and 4th along another Jaguar.
To the right of the Humber Hawk another Vanguard and Ford V8 Pilot. 3rd to left of white Vanguard - Austin Sheerline/ Ford /?/ Wolsley / Austin /Ford. This is keeping me away from a job out in the cold :)

JudithM

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2017, 01:27:02 PM »
I lived in Tamworth for about 18 months.  I lived in a cul-de-sac off a big crescent.  The crescent is called Leyland Road and all the cul-de-sacs are named after British car manufacturers starts at the one end with Allard and ends at the other with Wolseley.  A lady I work with now lives very near there & had no idea what the road names referred to!

I lived in Jowett, which were mighty fine cars  ;D   The 3rd from the right on the second row up looks like it could be a Jowett & there's another couple in there that could be Jowett Javelins, and I think I spy a couple of Ford Prefects in there.
"I know tomorrow's gonna taste like cake"

jamesm

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2017, 02:03:24 PM »
Ironside, Thanks for the info regarding dates. You're obviously very knowledgeable regarding cars and it's always good to have someone to ask when one's own expertise is a bit shaky. I'm glad you're managing to stay in the warm by the way O0

Judith, on a similar theme to road names my son lives on a small development where all the roads are named after famous authors, Keats, Dickens etc. except for one road which I suspect was meant to be named after Jane Austen but whoever had the road sign made couldn't spell and so it is the only road on the estate named after a famous car,  Austin. ;D

Ogri

« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2017, 04:18:35 PM »
Hi ironside, bottom left next to the trailer is a Standard flying 8 (first car i ever owned) then as you say Jaguar & Austin,directly behind in the next row looks like a couple of Morris saloons ,thinking back i have probably worked on half of theses types over the years & still have manuals or sales brochures for them & many more.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy