Author Topic: British Cars  (Read 77865 times)

Ian Dalziel

Re: British Cars
« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2017, 03:55:46 PM »
When I lived in Tamworth on that crescent of British car manufacturers, it did make me sad how many of them are no longer around (and some have gone since then too).  I've always loved cars, especially old ones, so knew who all the names were when I moved there anyway but so many people haven't a clue.

Back in the day each manufacturer had their own style too, so you could spot a car at a distance & know what make it was by the shape before it got close enough for you to see badges etc.  Today, many cars are so similar that it's hard to distinguish between makes even close up.

Tamworth, home of the Reliant Motor Company - at one time, the second largest British-owned motor manufacturer.
Let's make the best out of a bad situation.

townie

« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2017, 04:07:31 PM »

Tamworth, home of the Reliant Motor Company - at one time, the second largest British-owned motor manufacturer.

Would you drive or own a Robin?
Was it a vision, or a waking dream?

jamesm

« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2017, 06:50:21 PM »

Would you drive or own a Robin?
Only ever been in a Reliant Robin once in my life. An uncle of mine owned one and he once took my two cousins and myself to the local swimming baths (This was in Middlesex by the way) We crammed ourselves in, one in the back and two of us sharing the front seat and had the scariest ride in my life. He wasn't the best of drivers to be fair and tended to crunch all three (?) of the gears and every time we changed direction the whole body tended to sway around at an alarming angle.
To be fair to him he sold this on some months later and bought a beautiful Vauxhall estate with an automatic gearbox which was lovely drive.

townie

« Reply #25 on: November 01, 2017, 06:54:15 PM »
Yes James I think you had to take your life in your hands just getting in one.

Ian Dalziel

« Reply #26 on: November 01, 2017, 10:55:09 PM »
I once followed a Robin on the Halesowen bypass. When we got to 75 mph, I let him go. They were quite quick - in a straight line.
Let's make the best out of a bad situation.

countrylad

« Reply #27 on: November 01, 2017, 11:10:35 PM »
Don't forget the Relient Scimitar, no body rot and a V6 to boot  O0

ironside

« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2017, 10:09:37 AM »

What about the cars that have gone into oblivion. Six were made in Wolverhampton: Sunbeam - Guy- Clyno - Briton - Turner - Friskey.
Swallow Doretti made in Walsall, Jaguar had its roots here. Like Jowett, Swallow was put out of business by other car manufacturers. Bean in Tipton. Sunbeam held the world land speed record. Don't know any more local ones.

townie

« Reply #29 on: November 02, 2017, 10:21:17 AM »
 Jensen cars which was hand-built at the Kelvin Way Factory in West Bromwich

JudithM

« Reply #30 on: November 02, 2017, 01:41:08 PM »
Don't forget the Relient Scimitar, no body rot and a V6 to boot  O0

Didn't Princess Anne have a Scimitar?
"I know tomorrow's gonna taste like cake"

Edmund Fifield

« Reply #31 on: November 02, 2017, 04:39:14 PM »
 O0 O0 Used to take Jensen Interceptors to Heathrow from West Brom after they had been refurbished for Arab Clientele,then bring another one back to be have the same done.Fantastic job in early 80s  O0 O0
Make every day a day to remember
Because this ain't no rehearsal
And you ain't coming back

ironside

« Reply #32 on: November 02, 2017, 06:56:35 PM »
Yes Princess Ann did. Interceptors are beautiful cars what a job! 14 mpg wouldn't bother those Arabs. Those cars are well known but few, I bet, would  remember Jensen lorries, the name Jensen was cut out of the front to form the grill.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy