Author Topic: British Cars  (Read 77655 times)

Edmund Fifield

Re: British Cars
« Reply #33 on: November 02, 2017, 11:18:11 PM »
What a great job it was to deliver these cars,wish I was doing it now
Make every day a day to remember
Because this ain't no rehearsal
And you ain't coming back

townie

« Reply #34 on: November 03, 2017, 06:56:23 AM »

Yes Princess Ann did. Interceptors are beautiful cars what a job! 14 mpg wouldn't bother those Arabs. Those cars are well known but few, I bet, would  remember Jensen lorries, the name Jensen was cut out of the front to form the grill.

Ironside Would it have been one of these?

Was it a vision, or a waking dream?

ironside

« Reply #35 on: November 03, 2017, 12:16:58 PM »
Do they still make London taxi cabs in Tamworth?

JudithM

« Reply #36 on: November 03, 2017, 01:20:37 PM »
Do they still make London taxi cabs in Tamworth?

I don't think so.  Metrocab was still there when I lived there in the '90's, but I think they were bought out & production moved (if memory serves)
O0 O0 Used to take Jensen Interceptors to Heathrow from West Brom after they had been refurbished for Arab Clientele,then bring another one back to be have the same done.Fantastic job in early 80s  O0 O0

Wow, that must have been the best job!!!

Sad to see so many marks gone now, but we still have Morgan, TVR, Lotus, Jaguar & Land Rover.

I grew up by the Land Rover plant in Solihull, it was fun to sneak in through a hole in the fence to watch the helicopters land  ::)
"I know tomorrow's gonna taste like cake"

Edmund Fifield

« Reply #37 on: November 03, 2017, 02:51:28 PM »
Ironside,Black Cabs co,moved to Coventry many years ago.

ironside

« Reply #38 on: November 03, 2017, 06:56:07 PM »
Judith, Edmund - Thanks for the information. Townie - That's a cracking photo, I haven't seen one (or a picture) since the 1950's. Is that a Bradford by Jowett on the back?

Edmund Fifield

« Reply #39 on: November 03, 2017, 07:48:44 PM »
Ironside,in the news paper today the owner of the Black Cab Co asked the court to give them a patent on it.The Judge refused saying it wasn't distinguished enough.Has thisJudge never seen a Black Cab,He needs to be taken of the bench,with quite a few more the decisions they are making lately

ironside

« Reply #40 on: November 03, 2017, 09:51:43 PM »
Odd situation, Edmund, I need to study the situation a bit more.

townie

« Reply #41 on: November 04, 2017, 08:42:32 AM »

ironside It may be a Jowett Bradford Utility Vehicle but the back of the roof looks a bit different. I have found this photo of one in better condition.

Was it a vision, or a waking dream?

ironside

« Reply #42 on: November 04, 2017, 10:16:27 AM »

Just had two attempts at expanding on the previous post and lost both - I give up.
JudithM do you like old cars enough to pay £26.50, on the door, and £12 to park your car at the Classic Car Show at the NEC. Seems prohibitively expensive to me; but then I suppose it costs mega bucks to see any sort of show these days. 

ironside

« Reply #43 on: November 04, 2017, 10:36:26 AM »
Can't make up my mind Townie, The hub caps look different and the side windows on you picture are different. They look a bit DIY, they did a lot of van conversions in those days. Don't know the years but with some newer vans a tax was levied on conversions, because vans were free of purchase tax I believe. Another good picture; weird motors though, they had a 900cc two cylinder horizontally opposed aluminium engine, my mate's father had one.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy