Author Topic: British Cars  (Read 77630 times)

roy one

• Global Moderator
Re: British Cars
« Reply #154 on: November 09, 2017, 04:27:32 PM »

Mine is a Sprite. what colour would you like it to be  O0

we will start off with white
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

frederick

« Reply #155 on: November 09, 2017, 04:54:15 PM »
I nearly lost my life in a sprite when I was 15      :(     A lad at work older than me bought one and at lunch time he said coming for a ride in my new sports car I jumped at it, going down Trittiford rd and I woke up a week later in Selly Oak Hospital with a fracktued skull. I needed an operation and spent five weeks in the Hospital.    :o     I servived to tell the story. The driver just had a cut on the back of his head.    ???   And you now I don't remember a thing about the crash we had.
Failure to Prepare is to Prepare to Fail

ironside

« Reply #156 on: November 09, 2017, 08:04:15 PM »
Roy if I had one of those I wouldn’t mind what colour it was, they are in great demand now. That is the Mk 1 Austin Healey Sprite. The Mk 2 Sprite had the same body style as that Midget. The MG Midget was introduced the following year basically a re-badged Sprite. This was to appeal to the American market, MG’s were favoured by GI’s in WW11, so was better known than Austin. The MG was a Mk behind the Sprite; the Healey name was dropped by BL, to save paying royalties, then the Austin Sprite was discontinued altogether. Ironically the Midget ended up with the engine of its main competitor, the Triumph Spitfire. The A series BMC engine was too small to accommodate the emission regulations in USA.

Ian Dalziel

« Reply #157 on: November 10, 2017, 11:44:18 AM »
Thanks Ironside, I always loved the look of the Mk 1 Healey Sprite ever since having a lift in one just after they were introduced. However, I didn't know its subsequent history which I found very interesting.
Let's make the best out of a bad situation.

ironside

« Reply #158 on: November 10, 2017, 01:38:58 PM »
Glad you enjoyed your first trip in a Sprite, Frederick can’t say that. A man told me his first ride was in a mate’s new Frogeye Sprite, he said, I can’t remember what, something like a pre-war Austin 7 left them in the dust. He got rid of it soon after. They had a 948cc engine, not very powerful, in fact they are nowhere near as good as the later Mk’s, but they command much high prices, they do have a certain appeal. Not that they would get that much, but I have seen one advertised at £34,000.

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #159 on: November 10, 2017, 02:02:13 PM »

who would like a car like this and what a car it was

countrylad

« Reply #160 on: November 10, 2017, 02:20:29 PM »

who would like a car like this and what a car it was
The MGA, What great lines. Funny how tastes change back in the early 70's I thought they ugly. Now I would like one  O0

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #161 on: November 10, 2017, 02:51:56 PM »

and the daddy of them all in its day   I drove one from shanklin i.o.w to vetnor i.o.w on the cost road all I can say is wooooooooow

Edmund Fifield

« Reply #162 on: November 10, 2017, 02:58:47 PM »
My mate sold his Herald and bought a Ausrin Healy 100/6 silver blue and cream with the weirdest gear stick I've ever seen
Make every day a day to remember
Because this ain't no rehearsal
And you ain't coming back

Edmund Fifield

« Reply #163 on: November 10, 2017, 03:02:00 PM »
Forgot to say,his mate who worked at Jaguar bought his self a E type in yellow becaus he said it was easy to get the spares for it
Make every day a day to remember
Because this ain't no rehearsal
And you ain't coming back

countrylad

« Reply #164 on: November 10, 2017, 03:49:02 PM »

and the daddy of them all in its day   I drove one from shanklin i.o.w to vetnor i.o.w on the cost road all I can say is wooooooooow
Was wondering if this would be next. Top of the shop. I like the shape of the convertable than the hard top. But would not complain which I had.

When I was a youngster (15 years old) at Cateswell Lodge Garage a bloke who ran a business called Interproces had his red convertable E Type serviced with us. I did a full service for him. I said to the gaffer, I wonder if the owner would take me for a ride in it? Anyway, the owner came back as I was finishing the service. He said you want a go in the E Type? Come on then. I cleared all away and closed the bonnet in double quick time, jumped in and away we went, to the lights by hall Green Tec, turn left and then left on to the Foxhollies  O0  he accelerated briefly and then stopped.something not right, rattle under the bonnet. He got out opened the bonnet and found two spanners on the bulkhead!! I could have died, never had much street cried, then even less  :-\

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy