Author Topic: British Cars  (Read 77625 times)

roy one

• Global Moderator
Re: British Cars
« Reply #176 on: November 10, 2017, 10:30:06 PM »

what the japs did was take one our bikes or cars took it to bits see how it was made and then set about making it better and cheaper  just look at the jap bikes that come out  take the 50cc Honda it lapped the tt race course at 92 mph  in the 1960s  then look what they did to the bsa bikes  the bsa would not invest in new modals  so they fell by the way side much the same thing with the jap cars what you got for your money

each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #177 on: November 10, 2017, 10:35:20 PM »

sorry scipio
                       I just could not help my self on that one ;D O0 but I do no what you mean its just the way it read  O0 O0 O0

countrylad

« Reply #178 on: November 10, 2017, 10:53:26 PM »
what the japs did was take one our bikes or cars took it to bits see how it was made and then set about making it better and cheaper  just look at the jap bikes that come out  take the 50cc Honda it lapped the tt race course at 92 mph  in the 1960s  then look what they did to the bsa bikes  the bsa would not invest in new modals  so they fell by the way side much the same thing with the jap cars what you got for your money
Roy it's about what will sell and at what price. The japs were wise doing what they did. The japs were offering the driving experience and you can have it now in the price. British made car; heater, radio, reclining seats, heated rear screen, good power to weigh ratio pick it up in the morning. When I was 20 years of age and still passionate about British stuff ( and still are) like the BSA C15, I had younger lads at a few bob a week telling we they had a two stroke bike that could do 100MPH.

Scipio

« Reply #179 on: November 10, 2017, 10:55:08 PM »

Scipio, it's a sort of sensing/feeling situation with these old cars. A lot of folks blame the Japanese for the demise of he British Motor Industry. The question is: what part did we the British play in this?

I know what part Red Robbo played in the scheme of things . But that's enough of that . I watched a documentary in the 70's about
Jensen what a classic car that was , a german expert went there to up production , he used to lie down on his at lunchtime, he made a point of getting to know all the workers first names , and used to visit the shop floor frequently speaking to the workers . he got production up to about 15 a year . It made me wonder how they could go on like this considering they were tailor made for each customer. Still a classic when you think of the CV8 and the FF Interceptor
If voting made any difference , they wouldn't let us do it.
Mark Twain

Scipio

« Reply #180 on: November 10, 2017, 10:57:13 PM »

sorry scipio
                       I just could not help my self on that one ;D O0 but I do no what you mean its just the way it read  O0 O0 O0

No worries Roy I left myself open for that , I guessed someone would latch onto it
If voting made any difference , they wouldn't let us do it.
Mark Twain

Edmund Fifield

« Reply #181 on: November 10, 2017, 11:19:07 PM »
Used to deliver Subaru spare parts up and down the country in the80s till I got into Jensen
Make every day a day to remember
Because this ain't no rehearsal
And you ain't coming back

countrylad

« Reply #182 on: November 11, 2017, 12:01:49 AM »

I know what part Red Robbo played in the scheme of things . But that's enough of that . I watched a documentary in the 70's about
Jensen what a classic car that was , a german expert went there to up production , he used to lie down on his at lunchtime, he made a point of getting to know all the workers first names , and used to visit the shop floor frequently speaking to the workers . he got production up to about 15 a year . It made me wonder how they could go on like this considering they were tailor made for each customer. Still a classic when you think of the CV8 and the FF Interceptor
I think that's it between mass production and classic. What is the optimum point that volume overtakes quality.

countrylad

« Reply #183 on: November 11, 2017, 12:16:13 AM »
Used to deliver Subaru spare parts up and down the country in the80s till I got into Jensen
Edmund, you seemed to have had loads of experience of driving those cars that most of us only dream of driving. You must have been one of those guys at motorway junctions, holding your trade plates to get a lift. Did you e ever see the Daimler bus transport drivers on the motorway?  They drove a chassis  and engine with a plywood box as a cab. They drove in all weathers. I think they were Coventry to ? Key land for bus bodies....

jamesm

« Reply #184 on: November 11, 2017, 08:26:22 AM »
Edmund, you seemed to have had loads of experience of driving those cars that most of us only dream of driving. You must have been one of those guys at motorway junctions, holding your trade plates to get a lift. Did you e ever see the Daimler bus transport drivers on the motorway?  They drove a chassis  and engine with a plywood box as a cab. They drove in all weathers. I think they were Coventry to ? Key land for bus bodies....
Countrylad, during a short term being unemployed after being made redundant I took a job for a car delivery company. Worst job I ever had :(  Picking up cars from wherever and delivering them to anywhere in the country. Very long hours, trying to find remote locations (No Sat Nav then!) and standing at road junctions for ages in all sorts of weather, cold wet and miserable trying to get a lift back to Brum. Still, you had to do what you had to in order to pay the mortgage and feed the family.

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #185 on: November 11, 2017, 08:52:50 AM »

Still, you had to do what you had to in order to pay the mortgage and feed the family.

your spot on there its what a man does for his family  O0

Edmund Fifield

« Reply #186 on: November 11, 2017, 10:19:19 AM »
Countrylad sure did they used to come into the cafes on the motorway like aircraft pilots omtimes ringing wet
Make every day a day to remember
Because this ain't no rehearsal
And you ain't coming back

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy